THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

11 hours ago, RPurton said:

"

What makes you think it'll be largely forgettable? None of the last five scores have given such an impression.

I don't think it will be largely forgettable, I'm genuinely excited, a JW score that isn't a historical drama or Star Wars. I was just saying that the name "John Williams" is likely to earn a few nominations, regardless of quality. Apart from the suite at the end of the album, "The Book Thief" was largely forgettable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaaaand another trailer with definitely non-Williams music.  I remember liking the theme at the end of the last one, but this couldn't be more generic:

Also, is it me, or do some of these shots look super-fake?  Like, late-'90s-CGI, blue-screen-exhibit-at-Epcot, I-can-more-easily-picture-the-actor-on-the-soundstage-than-interacting-with-that-stuff fake?

Here's hoping Williams doesn't go for a Vaughan-Williams influence for this score, not because it would be bad, but because it would be a little too obvious and we already got War Horse for that particular set of ideas.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Here's hoping Williams doesn't go for a Vaughan-Williams influence for this score, not because it would be bad, but because it would be a little too obvious and we already got War Horse for that particular set of ideas.

Why would Vaughan-Wiliams be a likely influence for this or obvious for that matter?

Also I didn't know Mark Rylance was to voice the giant. Nice! :) 

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

Why would Vaughan-Wiliams be a likely influence for this or obvious for that matter?

The English setting, the romantic fairy tale....

When do we think the soundtrack will be released? My money's on Friday, June 24th, but I could also see them waiting until the film's release date (July 1st).

The latest recording tweet again mentions the flute, which I am guessing is the instrument of choice for Sophie's theme--looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

Magic confirmed.

OMG!OMG!OMG!

omg1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

You'll forget about it after it's released too.

The score? NEVER!!!

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm constantly forgetting this film and score are coming out soon. And whenever I do remind myself, it's a such a great feeling! :)

Karol

Ditto. Ditto indeed. This is so soon after TFA. :) 

On 05/04/2016 at 9:44 PM, igger6 said:

Aaaaaand another trailer with definitely non-Williams music.  I remember liking the theme at the end of the last one, but this couldn't be more generic:

Also, is it me, or do some of these shots look super-fake?  Like, late-'90s-CGI, blue-screen-exhibit-at-Epcot, I-can-more-easily-picture-the-actor-on-the-soundstage-than-interacting-with-that-stuff fake?

I tend to avoid trailers but I gave this one a watch in the hope it might stir some interest in me for this movie, but unfortunately it didn't. Also, they made a mistake in revealing the giant's face. 

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I tend to avoid trailers but I gave this one a watch in the hope it might stir some interest in me for this movie, but unfortunately it didn't. Also, they made a mistake in revealing the giant's face. 

Perhaps a mistake, "mystery-wise", but the giants' close-up was by far the best thing, motion capture-wise (the scenes with lots of movements seemed totally fake and weightless).

I'll listen to the album first.  If it's good/great/amazing/masterpiece then I'll probably end up seeing the movie in the theater just to experience it as a score.