The Brian Tyler thread

Jay

Zimmer >>>>>> Tyler

Tyler's basically been recycling Zimmer's 90s power anthem formula, but in a more generic factory-made way with flashier production values...

And for pete's sake...

It's the chords... damn it, the chords!

KK...

I guess I'll just fondly remember the first few days when you joined the forum and when it felt like we were like brothers with very similar tastes, and I'll try to forget this new horrid person you have become...

Go listen to Zelda or Robin Hood!

We are still brothers Alvar! It cannot be helped if the other occasionally falls for lesser idols!

:music:Robin Hood

True.

I forgive you for falling for the lesser idol Zimmer!

Hmmm, it seems there's only one way to handle this. I must once again, challenge you to a....SKY DUEL!

air_duel.jpg

If this is a sample of his Greatest Hits, I'm kinda meh:

Thor 2 main title and Iron Man 3 main title? How does that equate to a "best of" compilation?

They sound cool enough, sure, but that's hardly representative and not greatly varied either.

Ramin doesn't get all the big gigs, Tyler does, and he does mostly nothing with them, it all ends up sounding the same, and I'm sick and tired of it already.

That's my problem with the dude. :P

Coming from a guy who listens to Zimmer shit, II'm not sure I can take you seriously!

And Djawadi does get big gigs (Clash Of The Titans, Iron Man, Pacific Rim, Game Of Thrones, Ender's Game, Warcraft...)!

Ender's Game was Steve Jablonsky.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Tyler will be giving a concert of his music with the excellent Philharmonia Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall in London next May. As well as presenting his own music, he will also include some of the classic film music wot inspired him and shit. Immediately below this sentence is an internet link:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/concerts/1272/london/royal_festival_hall/7_may_2016/brian_tyler_live_film_music_for_cars_stars_and_superheroes_

Film Music for Cars, Stars and Superheroes indeed!

• 4 months later...

Brian Tyler is a very talented film composer, even JW has recommended him in the past. I don't care much for his techno/electronic stuff, but listen to Timeline or watch the movie (it's a solid Richard Donner adaptation of the Michael Crichton novel). It has an excellent orchestral score not only with strong thematics but it also surprisingly well enhances the onscreen emotions, very much in the vein of JW and JG. 

Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Synth cracked. For a single piece was lost; a key of the Synthethizer. Then strife began, and two new races appeared: the cruel Tylers, the gentle Powells. Here in the castle of the Synth, the Tylers took control. Now the Tylers gather in the sacred chamber, where the orchestra hangs above a shaft of air and fire. The Tylers with their hard and twisted bodies, their harsh and twisted wills. For a thousand years they have ruled, yet now there are only ten. A dying race, ruled by a dying emperor, imprisoned within themselves in a dying land. Today, once more, they gather at the recording stage as the first sun climbs to its peak. For this is the way of the Tylers. As they ravaged the land, so too they learned to draw new life from the basic chords. Today, once more, they will replenish themselves, cheat the producers again, through the power of their source, their treasure, their fate - the Dark Synth.

• 4 weeks later...

Lionsgate needs their own superhero franchise to supplant Divergent and The Hunger Games. So it's not surprising.

And Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa! That alone is worth the price of admission.

On 25 September 2015 at 7:56 PM, Omen II said:

Brian Tyler will be giving a concert of his music with the excellent Philharmonia Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall in London next May. As well as presenting his own music, he will also include some of the classic film music wot inspired him and shit. Immediately below this sentence is an internet link:

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/concerts/1272/london/royal_festival_hall/7_may_2016/brian_tyler_live_film_music_for_cars_stars_and_superheroes_

Film Music for Cars, Stars and Superheroes indeed!

Since I posted this the Philharmonia Orchestra has revealed more details of the programme for this concert.  As well as Tyler's own music, the concert will include a tribute to John Williams!

TYLER Avengers: Age of Ultron

TYLER Iron Man III

TYLER The Fast and the Furious Franchise

TYLER Thor: The Dark World

TYLER Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

TYLER Now You See Me

TYLER Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

TYLER The Expendables

TYLER Hawaii Five-0

WILLIAMS A special tribute to John Williams

The Philharmonia is one of the great film music orchestras.

13 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Since I posted this the Philharmonia Orchestra has revealed more details of the programme for this concert.  As well as Tyler's own music, the concert will include a tribute to John Williams!

TYLER Iron Man III

TYLER Now You See Me

TYLER The Expendables

TYLER Hawaii Five-0

Explains why Tyler likes using them and the LPO so much when he records in England.

14 hours ago, Omen II said:

TYLER Iron Man III

TYLER Now You See Me

TYLER The Expendables

TYLER Hawaii Five-0

Didn't even know about this concert. Hope there's decent tickets left. 

• 2 months later...

Just been to Brian Tyler's concert in London. He personally conducted it. It was a night of epicness as the kids say these days. Avengers, Thor 2, Now You See Me, Star Trek Enterprise, Fast and Furious, TMNT, Iron Man 3. But it wasn't only big, loud, monster themes, it also had surprising heart and some lovely soft solo moments with singers and the choir. His big themes are definitely meant to be heard with a full orchestra and choir live in a concert hall. I had goosebumps a few times actually. It really was a glorious evening, and Brian was very witty and charming, and showed his multi-talented musical abilities. He even took to the drums himself at one point and blew the roof off. He shared the night with his family and friends in attendance also. Happy to be a part of his first ever concert. Not to mention the lovely tribute to Williams, who he said is his biggest inspiration. It was perhaps the best rendition of the Superman March I've heard live in concert. 

Also he did a few things not yet released, like NYSM2. and his best theme so far I think, for something called Triumph of the Spirit. Not heard of it, but it was great. Quite classic and refreshing. 

Cool!

... Did you mean to post that here, and not in the Brian Tyler thread?

Happy Monday, comrades!

There are some nice photos of Brian Tyler's London concert on the Philharmonia Orchestra's face book page here.  The choir is the Royal Choral Society while the solo singers are Tori Letzler (in the black dress), who sang in the selections from Children of Dune and Thor: The Dark World, and Yael Shoshana Cohen (in the red dress), who sang a song from the movie Criminal.  Also pictured with Brian Tyler is none other than Thomas Cruise Mapother IV, which was nice.

The composer had a click track for most of the selections, which is the first time I can remember seeing this in a concert that was not played live to picture.

13123243_10153362226102202_180747436168213116343_10153362226107202_676235638021113178637_10153362248327202_1907717986972

13173141_10153362225732202_9677543293301

I thought I saw Tom Cruise there. I assumed I was hallucinating though. Cool that he was actually there. He's a huge film score fan as well, so I guess he was in town and decided to go. Who knows, maybe he's been chatting to Tyler about a possible film collaboration.

Just answered my own question with this bit of news: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/05/09/brian-tyler-to-score-the-mummy-reboot/ 

So that's why Cruise was at the concert then. 

Huh, just came into the thread to post that news and see its in your post now.  You must have edited it after I read it originally.

Well, here's a working link to the story

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/05/09/brian-tyler-to-score-the-mummy-reboot/

I might buy that.  Perhaps it will be a good horror score if what everyone is saying is true about it being truly scary

Yea, I'd say I'm more interested in hearing the samples to this one than most films he scores

He scored the bad film Darkness Falls but gave it a very good score. Tyler who owns an 8 million dollar home in  Cali. has score films that have grossed 7 billion dollars.