If you could remake "Dune" or "Dune should not be remade.."

Perdogg

Who would you cast in a remake of Dune or tell me my way Dune should not be remade.

Here is my cast so far

Emperor Shaddam IV, Padishah Emperor of the House Corrino: Patrick Stewart

Barron Vladimir Harkonnen: Jared Harris

Thufir Hawat: Michael Caine

Duke Leto Atreides: Sean Bean

Lady Jessica: Kelly Reilly

Paul Atreides: Taron Egerton

Duncan Idaho: Benedict Cumberbatch

Princes Irulan: Natalie Dormer

Chani: Shailene Woodley

Beast Rabben: Eddie Marsen

Feyd Rautha: Michael Fassbender

Shadout Mapes: Noome Repace

Music by Howard Shore

Directed by Joe Wright

Cate Blanchett has always been my perfect Jessica in my mind. But if they wanted someone younger, they could go with Rosamund Pike. I'd love to see Ian Macdiarmid as Yueh and John Hurt as Kynes.

Great call on Shailene Woodley as Chani

Who would you cast in a remake of Dune or tell me my way Dune should not be remade.

Here is my cast so far

Emperor Shaddam IV, Padishah Emperor of the House Corrino: Patrick Stewart

Barron Vladimir Harkonnen: Jared Harris

Thufir Hawat: Michael Caine

Duke Leto Atreides: Sean Bean

Lady Jessica: Kelly Reilly

Paul Atreides: Taron Egerton

Duncan Idaho: Benedict Cumberbatch

Princes Irulan: Natalie Dormer

Chani: Shailene Woodley

Beast Rabben: Eddie Marsen

Feyd Rautha: Michael Fassbender

Shadout Mapes: Noome Repace

Music by Howard Shore

Directed by Joe Wright

Marvel should make this.

They could do a remake to establish a new film continuity so they could film the rest of the books. I liked God Emperor, but I don't know if it's really filmable. It's just a big sandworm talking and philosophizing the whole time, a bunch of Duncans, and the Atreides girl that wants to kill the Emperor.

I am generally opposed to remakes, unless a certain criteria is match such as:

1. Did the originally meet a level of quality?

2. Is there something about a remake that could be done better or done differently to distinguish it from the original? Such as could improved technology on special effects make a movie better.

3. Was the original done in an era where it, due to current morality of the time, could not fully explore the storyline. This especially applies to novels adapted to movies.

Well, Frank wrote how many Dune books, six? Ignore his son's for now. Lynch's movie didn't get sequels, and the TV miniseries only filmed the first three books. I doubt any studio has the funds and cojones to commit the entire series to film, but the logical step if they decide to would be to reboot the series to establish a firm foundation.

I don't think Dune ever became as mainstream as other beloved book series to warrant such a lavish commitment like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Narnia, or Game of Thrones. Those are all fantasy which proves my point. Do series like Star Trek, Star Wars (sci-fi lite), BSG, Stargate, etc. create such a strong presence in filmed sci-fi that book series are kept down in lieu of fantasy?

That's a shame because sex is far more crucial to the Dune story than in Game of Thrones, which includes TNA for ratings because HBO.

Well, Frank wrote how many Dune books, six? Ignore his son's for now. Lynch's movie didn't get sequels, and the TV miniseries only filmed the first three books. I doubt any studio has the funds and cojones to commit the entire series to film, but the logical step if they decide to would be to reboot the series to establish a firm foundation. I don't think Dune ever became as mainstream as other beloved book series to warrant such a lavish commitment like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Narnia, or Game of Thrones. Those are all fantasy which proves my point. Do series like Star Trek, Star Wars (sci-fi lite), BSG, Stargate, etc. create such a strong presence in filmed sci-fi that book series are kept down in lieu of fantasy? That's a shame because sex is far more crucial to the Dune story than in Game of Thrones, which includes TNA for ratings because HBO.

I remember when I saw this movie in the theatre the theatre was handing out primers on A4 paper. This would be a somewhat complex movie to sell to the public.

Why, if someone writes a book, and someone else turns it into a film, and then years later someone else discovers the book and also turns it into a film, is that person's film called a remake anyway? And under what logic is it deemed unnecessary or automatically inferior? And why does the same logic then not apply if it's an old book?

Which is a shame as every comic book character known to man gets a movie, Batman gets twice his fair share, The Hobbit gets split and stretched, and we get Turtles sequels nobody asked for, but Muad'Dib....... Crickets.

I like the first TV miniseries, it's what got me into the books, but I totally didn't understand the sequel miniseries that condensed two books together. I've read Dune three times, I think, and all the sequels once through, but I haven't gone back and watched the sequels since reading their books.

I've managed to avoid the Lynch movie so far.

Dune. A movie that I never was able to watch entirely.

And because I never read the books, it's a phenomenon I can't really understand.

Little did I know is that there is many books, so I think there's potential for more than just one movie.

So, a reboot may be a good idea.

Maybe a future project for Peter Jackson?

Well, if you search a good director to film desert, I may suggest George Lucas.

But... are dialogues and editing important to you? ;)

I want Christopher Hampton to write the screenplay and Joe Wright to direct. Howard Shore to do the music; incorporating the languages of Dune in choral works.

He will know how to put the concept on screen and make it come alive.

The young Lucas would know indeed. There's a bit of Dune in Star Wars, you know.

I'm not sure there is a receptive audience right now for the kind of movie that the Dune novels require.

Shai Hulud III : Back in [spice] Business

Nevetheless, I still long for an ambitious cinematic realization of that universe. The book, with 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea, my favorite novel ever