Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Yes. I prefer to let the screenwriters write the actual story without speculating too much about could-be's. Then I'll evaluate it after the fact.

You just don't get it, do you.

;)

lol... I use to help run a Jurassic Park encyclopedia website. i know my shit! lol

Not to mention I've made a fully realistic and fleshed out timeline of events in the JP universe (film universe) along with probably/possible events and alluded to events. I then took that and elaborated into the future and wrote a story based on that. Granted, it will never be a movie, but it's the definative JP4 to me lol

The reason this movie will be made of course because people will never get enough of dinosaurs roaming around. The story is just secondary to the dinosaurs, let's be fair, it has been from the beginning.

I think there would be enough material from the first two movies to build a story around. Something I could imagine is military hunting down dinosaurs in the mainland rain forests to bring them back to the islands. Anything would be ok as long as they stay in the jungle.

I would like to see the old cast as well, since Goldblum + Neill together really worked. They could even combine with actors from 2 and 3, e.g. the Billy character or Sarah Harding.

And another JP score by JW, imagine.

There is no reason for any of the main characters to return to the dinosaur islands, especially after Grant and Malcolm had been tricked into making second trips. And I certainly hope that the actors are better than this film saga.

Rachel Weisz was great in The Mummy -- she's yummy in just about anything -- but she has become better than what the film series became, hasn't she?

I think the pteranodons in JPIII have teeth because:

a) they are amusement park monster atractions genetically modified (as Grant says in the lecture)

b) the teth are supposed to be part of the queratinous beak, that would not fosilize. (maybe a new theory from paleontologists, or wishfull thinking from the model creators)

I think the pteranodons in JPIII have teeth because:

a) they are amusement park monster atractions genetically modified (as Grant says in the lecture)

b) the teth are supposed to be part of the queratinous beak, that would not fosilize. (maybe a new theory from paleontologists, or wishfull thinking from the model creators)

Fossilization does not preserve the original tissues. If the beak would fossilize, the teeth would most likely too.

Yes. Bone ephiphysis and stuff like that as well. These are also the parts that are most likely to remain when you burn the body.

Karol

I think the pterosaurs in JP3 have teeth because it makes them scarier. Toothless makes you think of the old guy in Up chasing you with a cane sans dentures.

Although either size of toothless Quetzalcoatlus -- the larger is the size of a jet fighter -- chasing you down would be far, far scarier than anything with teeth.

Quetzscale1.png

Um i did not explained myself. I did say that if the teeth were somekind of queratin structure in the beak, not true bone teeth, it would not fosilize.

Like geese have.

http://www.mdavid.com.au/geese/geese.shtml

And it would make sense to have them, to grab slippery fish. Unless the pteranodon used the beak as dagger, like herons. But they probably didnt, and catched prey dropping from the air. Herons wait for the fish landed in the shores and then stab the fish.

I think the pterosaurs in JP3 have teeth because it makes them scarier. Toothless makes you think of the old guy in Up chasing you with a cane sans dentures.

Although either size of toothless Quetzalcoatlus -- the larger is the size of a jet fighter -- chasing you down would be far, far scarier than anything with teeth.

Indeed. Something like Hatzegopteryx; that thing looks baddass.

quetzalcoatlusJagd.jpg

( I use it as my own T-Rex in a story I'm writing about time travel.)

that is a sauropod adult or hatchling? 0_0

Did it fly? those wings look too small in the drawing

BTW the best candidate to score this movie would be Michael Giacchino.

He could at last create a JP score using williams themes and firthermore could implement his own themes from the games.

that is a sauropod adult or hatchling? 0_0

Did it fly? those wings look too small in the drawing

A small one, yes. The thing's a little bit taller than a giraffe.

I'm guessing it could fly. The wings had a muscle layer so they might have been able to retract them a bit when walking (and modify the shape on flight), plus they were lighter than they seem. But I imagine the adult one would have more preference for being on the ground.

I agree on Giacchino, plus he likes to score monster films.

Is it just me, or did the CGI get worse with each film, or is that just their application? Case in point, in JP3, the dinos tend to look over-animated. Much like a lot of the stuff in the LOTR films; they move too damn fast, with too much fluidity.

It was just the third that had poor CGI.

The raptors are best to date (and the animatronic blend is seamless). The pteranodons are real good too.

Its just some shots of the other dinosarus that seem to have been rushed, or not enough money spent/available.

I saw JPIII once a few years ago and the pterosaurs looked completely fake to me.

Rewatch it. The hatchlings are fake and ugly, but there ase some good shorts of the adults.

The ending shot is rather good. Perfect musculature movement. And wing flap. (even if new theories have debunked leathery wings...)

Even if they had teeth that wouldn't fossilize, you'd find proof of structure to hold them. And the argument is moot... Pteranodon* means "Winged and Toothless." lol

A second, smaller skull soon was discovered as well. These skulls showed that the North American pterosaurs were different from any European species, in that they lacked teeth. Marsh recognized that this major difference, describing the specimens as "distinguished from all previously known genera of the order Pterosauria by the entire absence of teeth." Marsh recognized that this characteristic warranted a new genus, and he coined the name Pteranodon ("wing without tooth") in 1876.

conceded. but the point still stands...they're toothless...and to bring it even further back, they ones in JP3 are mutants where as the "non-mutant" authentic Pteronodon Longiceps as seen in TLW finale do exist on the island along with Sternbergi.

That's another point....there are about a dozen more species that we know exist but aren't seen in the films...

Yes. The distinct crest sported by the pterosaurs in JP3 is characteristic of pteranodons, but the teeth are incorrect.

If they wanted their pterosaurs to have teeth, they should have dropped the crests and given them rudders on their tails, and make them Rhamphorhynchus. Either a crest or tail rudder aids in flight stability, as one wouldn't have both, but the crest is more magnificent and scary.

It's unfortunate because it shows that the effects crew either didn't do their homework when looking at dinosaur and other archosaur physiology when they designed the creatures, or like you said, these are meant to be hybrids. My money is on the former.

In Jurassic Park 4 a US spaceship thought lost returns to earth carrying 3 raptors. While fully capable of killing these raptors are gentle and well mannered. The raptors are taken to a local zoo where one is accidentally killed by another raptor at the zoo which was brought back to the present by the Terra Nova scientists. The remaining pair from the spaceship speak out in horror at the murder of their friend. The human zoologists are stunned. The Presidents science advisor enters the film wanting answers. He separates the pair, discovers that one is female and she is ready to lay her eggs. He gets her drunk and she spills the beans that she is from the future where dinosaurs talk and humans are food. She utters the horrific fact that on her world she was a television chef whose specialty was preparing homosapians. The pair escape with the help of their zoologist friends, and end up in a dinosaur zoo where the female lays her eggs. But they are soon found. The pair escape along with her eggs to an old seaport where they hide on an old tanker. They are found by the science advisor who shoots the female and the eggs. She throws the eggs into the water and lays there to die. The male raptor shoots and kills the science advisor who manages to shoot and kill the male raptor before he dies. The male raptor falls from the bridge into the water. The film ends at the circus with the circus owner caring for the newly hatched raptor eggs, which had been switch with several ostrich eggs before the raptor couple fled. The final shot is of the baby raptors speaking mamma, mamma. Que the John Williams music.

In Jurassic Park 4 a US spaceship thought lost returns to earth carrying 3 raptors. While fully capable of killing these raptors are gentle and well mannered. The raptors are taken to a local zoo where one is accidentally killed by another raptor at the zoo which was brought back to the present by the Terra Nova scientists. The remaining pair from the spaceship speak out in horror at the murder of their friend. The human zoologists are stunned. The Presidents science advisor enters the film wanting answers. He separates the pair, discovers that one is female and she is ready to lay her eggs. He gets her drunk and she spills the beans that she is from the future where dinosaurs talk and humans are food. She utters the horrific fact that on her world she was a television chef whose specialty was preparing homosapians. The pair escape with the help of their zoologist friends, and end up in a dinosaur zoo where the female lays her eggs. But they are soon found. The pair escape along with her eggs to an old seaport where they hide on an old tanker. They are found by the science advisor who shoots the female and the eggs. She throws the eggs into the water and lays there to die. The male raptor shoots and kills the science advisor who manages to shoot and kill the male raptor before he dies. The male raptor falls from the bridge into the water. The film ends at the circus with the circus owner caring for the newly hatched raptor eggs, which had been switch with several ostrich eggs before the raptor couple fled. The final shot is of the baby raptors speaking mamma, mamma. Que the John Williams music.

Sounds oddly familiar, but we can go with it.

Even if they had teeth that wouldn't fossilize, you'd find proof of structure to hold them. And the argument is moot... Pteranodon* means "Winged and Toothless." lol

Mmmm i dont think geese beaks would fosilize and have proof of its serrated structure.

And using the scientific name as 'proof' is not a proof! Countless of dinosaurs were named incorreclty in the old times because they did not knew better.

But anyways, its much more probable that the pteranodos didnt had those beak ridges so no matter. I'm just trying to give an explanation on the mental process someone had while creating the models for JPIII.

It's just a movie for goodness sake!

You wouldn't imagine how many times, when I was seeing a film, I've felt that following some actual scientific ideas would make scenes cooler.

ok Luke, but it was named that because they don't have teeth. Other flying reptiles have been found and found to ahve teeth but yet pterosaurs show no signs of them... seems kinda..odd

"Pterosaurs" is the term assigned to the entire order of non-avian flying reptiles. It has nothing to do with teeth.

It consisted of two suborders: Pterodactyloidea and Rhamphorhynchoidea.

The rhamphorhynchoids were primitive and had teeth.

As for their descendants, the pterodactyloids, some early ones did, and the later ones did not.

The pteranodons are their own family deep with the pterodactyloids that did not have teeth.

It appears that as pterosaurs (collectively) evolved, teeth disappeared. Tails also got shorter and their rudders were replaced with head crests.

Anyone who says that all pterosaurs were toothless is wrong.

But again, this is all based on one paleontologist's taxonomic structure. There have been several made since 2003, which was after JP3 was made.

I did say earlier that the last I read, there were some that did have teeth, but if I'm not mistaken, this reclassification of the flying reptiles didn't happen until the mid 80's where they all but split them based on size and teeth.

Small ones with rudders and teeth, large ones with crests and no teeth (mostly).

This was also done because the sexually dimorphic specimens were considered different species rather than male/female.

But none of this matters in regards to this excepting my original point: the pterosaurs in JP3 are mutants... which was my whole point...we never see, past them and perhaps spino to a degree, any "mistakes"

ok Luke, but it was named that because they don't have teeth. Other flying reptiles have been found and found to ahve teeth but yet pterosaurs show no signs of them... seems kinda..odd

Yes, i know... just saying that true teeth fossilize, but queratinuos serrated structures on the beak would not. So if the JPIII pteranodons is some wishfull thinking from one paleontolist-advisor from the film, i was just giving a possible explanation.

In 'my book', pteranodonds do not have teeth, BTW ;)

Not neccessarily mutants (meaning natural changes dues to some factors, interbeeding, toxis...) they can be just genetically modified to make them more scary. Which is what Grant says.

It amazing how the taxons of the species have changed over the last few years with new discoveries. Some emblematic species do not exist anymore, like Torosaurus. Shame we will never know it all.

It's just a movie for goodness sake!

Just leave 'em to get on with it. The discussion appears to have moved away from the movies and it's obvious we have a few dinosaur enthusiasts in our company so if it makes them happy to talk details in the Jurassic Park thread that's fine by me. At the very least it seems this thread is far more productive and worthwhile than your 'blog'!

It amazing how the taxons of the species have changed over the last few years with new discoveries. Some emblematic species do not exist anymore, like Torosaurus. Shame we will never know it all.

And the classification of large Cretacic pterosaurs is a mess, quite frankly.

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm gonna have to steal Elmo's link here : point.gifSpielberg: More Indy & Jurassic Park?

The screenplay is being written right now by Mark Protosevich. I'm hoping that will come out in the next couple of years. We have a good story. We have a better story for four than we had for three...

A couple of years?!? I can't wait that long. It's been 10 bloody years since the last already. So get a move on, dammit!!

(and yes, I'm impatient when it comes to the JP universe, which I totally love).

65 billion years in the making.

This is suddenly an entirely appropriate tagline again.

Karol

LOL, yeah. I just hope to get at least one more JP movie before I die. Hopefully lots more. I NEVER want this franchise to die, even if the films are crap.

OK, I'm gonna have to steal Elmo's link here : point.gifSpielberg: More Indy & Jurassic Park?

The screenplay is being written right now by Mark Protosevich. I'm hoping that will come out in the next couple of years. We have a good story. We have a better story for four than we had for three...

A couple of years?!? I can't wait that long. It's been 10 bloody years since the last already. So get a move on, dammit!!

(and yes, I'm impatient when it comes to the JP universe, which I totally love).

Universe? That's a bit of a stretch, no?

65 billion years in the making.

This is suddenly an entirely appropriate tagline again.

Karol

LOL, yeah. I just hope to get at least one more JP movie before I die. Hopefully lots more. I NEVER want this franchise to die, even if the films are crap.

That doesn't seem to make much sense for me.