Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Primarily the overwhelming production errors, but a bit of the science and writing as well.

I never view production errors as flaws, likewise with the fudged science. That's an anorak's approach to film appraisal, which I can never take seriously.

Reminds me of this joke article. Talking about grabbing for straws.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/jurassic-park--10-flaws-you-never-noticed-112121196.html

That's just a small handful. Production errors like those fall into production design, a very important aspect of film. At least for me. It's about believing the world you're in, and I don't believe JP for a second. It's the case of 'once seen it can't be unseen.' I try to not let it get to me though. The film has plenty of great scenes. The Matrix has a ton of similar errors too.

Primarily the overwhelming production errors, but a bit of the science and writing as well.

I never view production errors as flaws, likewise with the fudged science. That's an anorak's approach to film appraisal, which I can never take seriously.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/jurassic-park--10-flaws-you-never-noticed-112121196.html

That's just a small handful. Production errors like those fall into production design, a very important aspect of film.

No, production design is about creating an atmosphere, a world to envelop you in. Minutiae likes gaffs (unless it's incredibly distracting, like a boom mic in the frame) aren't part of that.

Cinema is hokum, an illusion like John Hammond's flea circus. Don't get so invested in small details and focus on the bigger picture. See the wood from the trees.

OCD?

Very, but it's in a constant battle with my laziness.

That's just a small handful. Production errors like those fall into production design, a very important aspect of film.

No, production design is about creating an atmosphere, a world to envelop you in. Minutiae likes gaffs (unless it's incredibly distracting, like a boom mic in the frame) aren't part of that.

Cinema is hokum, an illusion like John Hammond's flea circus. Don't get so invested in small details and focus on the bigger picture. See the wood from the trees.

I know cinema is an illusion. Just because it is doesn't mean details aren't important. The best filmmakers pay attention to this stuff. Something like the shoe scuffs on the floor as Anton chokes the police officer in No Country For Old Men is a great example of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Crap, I didn't see that. At least it had some comedic value. While we're still on the subject, somebody should ask Frank Marshall if John Williams is returning. I doubt we'll get a definite answer at this point but it's worth a try.

Yeah that rumor wasn't true. However the details here might be. Apparently this person has read the script and has given away major details. It's a clunky thread, but if you can weed out the details like I did, a lot of what was said seems to be spot-on... and there is some insider info. that I know that matches at least one element that not many would know at all.

WARNING! If the following IS true, there are HUGE spoilers, including character deaths and the ending. As well as the new bad dinosaur.

http://boards.4chan.org/tv/res/42528156

Many in the Jurassic Park boards have reason to believe these details are also legit. (Trust me, we have been following it a long time). If anyone wants bits of spoilers revealed, I'll post them in spoiler tags.

Of course there is still a chance this isn't real. But if it is, I think I will really like this movie, even though it does mostly verge on soft reboot territory, while still being a sequel.

I think it would be too late at this point. They are filming next month, sets are being made on location already, contracts undoubtedly already in place, actors cast, etc. At least the actual script didn't leak, just details. Granted there are a TON of them. But it still didn't reveal literally everything. Still don't know why the park got rebuilt! LOL.

Besides, this sort of thing has undoubtedly happened with many films before.

For those that want at least one spoiler, if all this is true, the new dinosaur baddie is:

Carnotaurus. Complete with chameleon camouflage like in The Lost World novel.

make that two spoilers. You said the park (nublar i suppose) is going to be rebuilt. But you didnt hide it.

And when i quoted your text, the spoiler tag is shown, so i have been spoiled twice...

Cool dinosaur anyway, long overdue ;)

The park being rebuilt is not a spoiler - that will obviously be shown in all the trailers and posters!

It's been basically confirmed by a couple interviews with actors that have been cast that there is a new park, especially when one revealed he was the park owner, haha! So sorry, that one is not a spoiler anymore! ;)

That article seems to put some ill on those leaked script details that were mentioned earlier in this thread. Producer Frank Marshall also claimed the script had not leaked (although the script wasn't what had leaked, just details, so hmmm...). But there is still a small chance some of it could be true. However, if it were one would think that Dr. Wu would have been mentioned during his whole leak of info. So probably not. You gotta love how things change with rumors haha.

But I am excited about this reveal of Dr. Wu. For those who have read the first Jurassic Park novel, he was a pretty interesting character that showed some interesting aspects of the possibilities of the dinosaurs that could have been if Hammond would have allowed it to be so. The novel hit on some darker aspects of it all as well that the movie just barely touches. Dr. Wu dies in the novel (then again so did Hammond), so it is interesting to bring this character back to expand his cameo appearance from the first film.

The other real interesting bit from that article was they are filming in 35MM and 65MM, and the aspect ratio will be in 2.1. It's a middle ground between 2.35 and 1.85. VERY interesting. Although this will now be another damn series with a change in aspect ratios haha (like from Alien to Aliens).

I wonder what schmo will be composing for this one.

As long as Trevorrow asks for a normal orchestral score, I'm not too bothered. Tarnishing the Jurassic name with some RCP tat will not go down well.

I was gonna say that, but I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere here that he didn't enjoy doing JP3.

But yeah, that would be awesome. And if he's trying to get back into scoring, what better project?

They should have Don Davis come back for this score....no kidding either.

This, though he needs a better recording engineer and some synths for a more current sound. The acoustics on JPIII were Wallinesque.

I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park III's score. The adaptation of the old material is lackluster and the new material is either forgettable (the new 4-note carnivore theme) or over the top corny (the family theme).

Depending on how Godzilla turns up, Desplat would be nice.

Good call.

That's an excellent idea. He's definitely got the technique and craft. Just hope that if he was hired, they wouldn't temp-track it with the latest hip score.

The best bits of Davis's JP3 are the action/suspense music.

Agreed. I've always loved how Williams introduced the idea of those glissando trombones being representative of the Raptors, it's actually quite similar to the sound they make. It's such a cool idea.

The best bits of Davis's JP3 are the action/suspense music.

Agreed. I've always loved how Williams introduced the idea of those glissando trombones being representative of the Raptors, it's actually quite similar to the sound they make. It's such a cool idea.

What I like about the score is how Davis finds the common denominators between his own voice and Williams's, and draws upon that. Like the glissing muted trombones, an idea not a world apart from how he represented the Agents in the first MATRIX film. Same goes for the use of certain clusters, tone pyramids, pitch sets/chordioids, extended techniques and so on. Also listen to that 6/8 cretic rhythm at 0:05 (a cretic foot is long-short-long - dotted 8th note to a 16th note to an 8th note). Common to so many of Williams action rhythms and even some themes (Keys's Theme, Hedwig's Theme, Grievous's Theme etc.)

He really does channel Williams in that score.

Like I said though I don't think he's looking to come back to film. I'm totally ok with that - expand your already impressive concert music catalogue, and get it all recorded, Don!

I wonder what schmo will be composing for this one.

As long as Trevorrow asks for a normal orchestral score, I'm not too bothered. Tarnishing the Jurassic name with some RCP tat will not go down well.

Actually, in the JurassicCast interview with the director last year, I was able to get one of the guy's interviewing him to make a comment of sorts about John Williams to see if he would even try to get him back. I know that was all unlikely, but I just wanted it to lead to him mentioning if he would even consider going after the same musical sound as him. He basically ended up saying something like "of course" he likes his music for the series. So there is hope right there that whoever he does choose to score the film that it will play along those lines. Besides, everything so far feels like such a callback to the first film (almost rehash territory), I can't see them not providing that same sound, and hopefully, the same main theme at least at some point.

I think that is one question worth asking: do we want the old Jurassic Park themes to make a comeback, sort of like what Don Davis did? Or should the composer take the same approach John Williams did for The Lost World, by pretty much only having "the ghost" of the main theme creep through at times, until the end credits? No matter what I hope it makes it's way to the end credits, if nowhere else. It'd be like a Star Wars film not having it's Main Title music to not have a JP film not end on it like it always has.

Personally, I am rooting for Giacchino at the moment. He has already actually scored three Jurassic Park related games in the past (The Lost World Playstation, Chaos Island: The Lost World, and Warpath: Jurassic Park). None featured Williams material or really felt like they belonged with the films, but they were really great game scores, and were among his very, very first. It would be fun for him to revisit that and perhaps make it more authentic for a real Jurassic film. Funny enough, I think the director and Giacchino both have each other on their Twitter followers. Coincidence?

Abel Korzeniowski! ;)

You know, I actually WOULD be curious and excited if he got it, to be honest. I love his sound and his variety of talent in his music.

But honestly, apart from Williams coming back, Don Davis would be great if he did, too.