Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park III's score. The adaptation of the old material is lackluster and the new material is either forgettable (the new 4-note carnivore theme) or over the top corny (the family theme).

what new 4-note carnivore motif? I just remember JP's carnivore motif greatly used in the score.

Maybe on the new film, the Williams JP theme is used as source music for the park... it would be nice if they dont want to use the old themes for the score propper.

I suggest to give conrad pope a try ;)

I'm not a fan of Jurassic Park III's score. The adaptation of the old material is lackluster and the new material is either forgettable (the new 4-note carnivore theme) or over the top corny (the family theme).

what new 4-note carnivore motif? I just remember JP's carnivore motif greatly used in the score.

Yeah, Davis just reused the original carnivore theme.The only new themes I'm aware of are the two family themes.

I like his score overall (I hope an expanded edition will come sometime soon), although his modification to the island theme doesn't sit well for me.

I wonder what schmo will be composing for this one.

As long as Trevorrow asks for a normal orchestral score, I'm not too bothered. Tarnishing the Jurassic name with some RCP tat will not go down well.

Actually, in the JurassicCast interview with the director last year, I was able to get one of the guy's interviewing him to make a comment of sorts about John Williams to see if he would even try to get him back. I know that was all unlikely, but I just wanted it to lead to him mentioning if he would even consider going after the same musical sound as him. He basically ended up saying something like "of course" he likes his music for the series. So there is hope right there that whoever he does choose to score the film that it will play along those lines. Besides, everything so far feels like such a callback to the first film (almost rehash territory), I can't see them not providing that same sound, and hopefully, the same main theme at least at some point.

That's a stock answer whenever anyone is publicly asked whether they like a JW score. It's meaningless in the context of how he wants a film made 20 years later to sound.

Yeah, Davis just reused the original carnivore theme.The only new themes I'm aware of are the two family themes.

I like his score overall (I hope an expanded edition will come sometime soon), although his modification to the island theme doesn't sit well for me.

With 'reused' you make it look bad. I think he did a great job with that motif. Williams only could use it scarcely (only tree big action pieces in the score (t-rex chase, hungry raptor and t-rex rescue) and one went unused. Davis used the same style (specially from Chase and hungry raptor) for his action cues.

Maybe on the new film, the Williams JP theme is used as source music for the park...

I quite like that idea!

And they should say in the film that they commisioned John Williams to write it, no expenses spared :)

And in the score, they should use the adventure theme (been there in all films) and the carnivore motifs from JP & TLW for the raptors and t-rex for example (or viceversa).

As far as I remember, Davis used a variation of the four-note motif most of the time (as in the river battle with the Spinosaurus). His best use of the original raptor motif isn't even in the film. The new (or altered) motif actually sounds more like the adventure theme in minor... or am I mistaken here? Have to listen to it again

what new 4-note carnivore motif? I just remember JP's carnivore motif greatly used in the score

It's two ascending tritones a whole tone apart (i.e. D > G# > E > A#).

You can hear it here at 0:16

Is he trying to get back into it? I don't think we'll be hearing much more from him in the cinema.

Actually, he's been trying to get back into the film industry for a while after he finished his opera. But his long absence from the scene basically unintentionally cut him out from attaining major gigs anymore. I'm not sure if he's given up, but he certainly was trying.

That may well be the situation at present. But 2 years ago, I was told he was actively pursuing films to score at the time.

what new 4-note carnivore motif? I just remember JP's carnivore motif greatly used in the score

Heck i would consider that a variation orchestration of the Williams theme. Is it THAT different?

Well i suppose that we count Williams carnivore motif from TLW sepparate too and it also is very similar...

Maybe on the new film, the Williams JP theme is used as source music for the park...

I quite like that idea!

And they should say in the film that they commisioned John Williams to write it, no expenses spared :)

Now that's just a shitty idea!

Oh, and when you said "the JP theme", I thought you were referring to the Island/adventure theme (as you call it), not the "Dinosaurs theme". I'm not sure the Dinosaurs theme would work as source music. The adventure theme, on the contrary, heard through speakers in the park would feel "natural", methinks.

true...

Well the Dinosaurs theme could work as speakers background music.

The adventure theme could be used when they make an anouncement or something. (example 'win' fanfare in Jurasic park operation genesis.)

Heck i would consider that a variation orchestration of the Williams theme. Is it THAT different?

You're right, it is a twisted variation on the Island motiv, but I'd consider a unique motif its own right due to his application (i.e. he has uses it as an ominous coda to the end credits, just like like Williams did with his carnivore motif in the first film).

First glance at concept art (straight from a concept artist's site attached to the film):

JW-ConceptArt-Nathan-1.jpg

JW-ConceptArt-Nathan-2.jpg

They are dated 2013, though it is unclear if this means it was used for the previous version of the script or the rewrite that was done last summer. However, even with the rewrite, we know the "new park" story was still there. So even if it was for that older version, I have a feeling this type of concept wouldn't have changed much. Especially as seeing some of the sets currently being built on Hawaii sort of resemble the look this is going for in terms of the their location, too. And the recent rumors of filming soon to take place on a beach-type setting.

I am loving this futuristic-looking version of the Visitor Center! The beach areas look real nice, and in the 2nd pic especially you can spot what looks like an aviary, and even a monorail! Granted, this could even just be one of many decided concepts for the look of the park (if you notice, the two pics have subtle variations between the two as it is), and not the final look chosen. But either way, looks like they are going to "spare no expense".

Quite loving it, but I'm going to wait until it's confirmed or something.

JPLegacy is going nuts with speculation and banning :lol: Just like in the old times....

Why banning?

There's one particular member that's being posting a lot of supposed "insider" info without backing it up and the mods got really pissed off. So he got banned for a week and now the guy started doing the same thing again and got banned again.

34670610.jpg

Why banning?

There's one particular member that's being posting a lot of supposed "insider" info without backing it up and the mods got really pissed off. So he got banned for a week and now the guy started doing the same thing again and got banned again.

34670610.jpg

That place is a nightmare that needs its head examined.

And I don't understand the questionable validity of the concept art pieces earlier in this thread. It came from the site of one of the concept artists involved in the film. What is there not for them to understand? And clearly it was something that wasn't meant to happen, because that site is down now.

Anyway, these also showed up, apparently, while I was at work.

lava+resort.jpg

Tropical+Visitor%27s+Center.jpg

These two are from Jim Martin's blog, although these two aren't 100% certain from JW (but judging how they look, what else could these be for?). The first one in-particular is really interesting. For those familiar with the novel, Isla Nublar was actually a bit volcanic (dormant I guess?) in nature. They even used geothermal energy from it, if I remember correctly. While it is cool to see it exploited a bit in this concept art, who knows if any of this will make it into the film. Like any other film, I am sure they have hundreds of different versions of concept pieces like these, and who knows what will really make it to the very end.

However seeing all of these definitely gets me excited! I love the looks they are going for!

i think the volcanoes there are part of some Earth history exhibition.

Something like that was used in JP the Game :)

BTW, with the addition of henry Wu to the film, do you think that they want to explain that way some new updated look on the dinosaurs? I mean, hnery wu wanted to modify the DNA to make the dinosaurs more 'park friendly' than the real animals... in the novel. Though in the film universe, Alan grant already stated that Ingen's dinosaurs are monsters created for an amusement park.

I still think that yes, the raptors and other dinosaurs will look different (possibly more accurate, - sadly for me, as i dont like big feathered dinosaurs that much-), and Wu will play a role in that either modifiying them or having finally decrypted 100% DNA of each species...

I can definitely see that being the case, if these are indeed for JW (how could they not be? they resemble how the inside would look from the other concept art by the other guy).

I also think having Dr. Wu in the story may be a way for them to have feathered dinosaurs in the film with an explanation, OR not having feathered dinosaurs in the film with an explanation. They could use his character either way. I am still rooting for no feathers, personally. I am honestly not even convinced as many dinosaurs have feathers as paleontologists think they do. Sure, some do, like some of the ones that they have actually found feather impressions for. But that doesn't mean that every type of that species actually did. Sometimes they generalize a bit too far with this kind of science. I also don't think a feathered dinosaur would look very menacing, personally, in terms of a film like this. And they probably know that, lol. And besides, who knows how the Patel Corp will actually want them to look, heh.

I'm still just excited that this film, so far, seems like it will have a lot of Crichton influences from ideas at least from his novels.

I am still rooting for no feathers, personally. I am honestly not even convinced as many dinosaurs have feathers as paleontologists think they do. Sure, some do, like some of the ones that they have actually found feather impressions for. But that doesn't mean that every type of that species actually did. Sometimes they generalize a bit too far with this kind of science. I also don't think a feathered dinosaur would look very menacing, personally, in terms of a film like this.

http://static.archambault.ca/sample/9/7/4/6/974623CA1798230C45C4ECE3ED30F17D/UMG_audclp_00602537351022_01_020_161.mp3

1350917825-evilchicken.jpeg

chicken_120026_top_zps820b3d7a.jpg

I'm hoping this is a reboot, rather than another sequel.

A strict adaptation of the novel would be nice. And an R rating.

Of course, that's never going to happen. I'm expecting another mind-numbing action flick, but it's early yet.

I too would love a more literal adaptation of the novel. I thought a TV series would work well for Jurassic. The book (from what I remember) seemed a bit episodic with the several nights Grant and the kids spent in the wilderness.