Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

It's been 13 years for a good reason. JP 3 was mediocre AT BEST. The best thing was Davis' score. I wonder which guy is allowed another go at it.

John Williams will return of course. He's back at doing sequels. Looking forward to this one, Star Wars VII-IX, Tintin 2 and 3, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The Book Thief Returns and eventually Indiana Jones 5.

i dont think williams will do it. he never returns after he has left one franchise.

He kind of did for Superman, by creating some themes for IV.

I doubt he would, but they wouldn't abandon the theme at least, so he'll be there in a small way.

Cast is looking great. Hopefully someone from the original will return, specifically Joe Mazzello.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris Pratt ("Parks & Recreation", Movie 43) is looking to play a lead role in this film -- the one that Josh Brolin was supposed to play. Irrfan Khan (The Amazing Spider-Man) is also being looked at for a supporting role.

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pratt-jurassic-world-lead-role

A bit off-topic, but here is something really cool you guys may like.

http://insideuniversal.net/2013/11/interview-gary-goddard/

I helped organize and conduct this incredible interview with one of the best in theme park entertainment, and the creator of attractions such as Terminator 2: 3D, the original animatronic King Kong on the Studio Tour, and Jurassic Park- The Ride; Gary Goddard!

The interview primarily focuses on Jurassic Park- The Ride, with amazingly detailed responses to all of the questions. Not only that, but for the first time, you get to see some exclusive storyboards that haven't been seen since the ride's creation, and include moments that were left on the cutting room floor! This is just Part One of two, with the second part coming out soon, so stay tuned.

I hope you guys enjoy this interview, in association with Inside Universal (a fairly new site on all things Universal Studios Hollywood). It has been an amazing experience!

jp2.jpg

Rick Carter said he did some visual consultation for Jurassic World. He worked for four months to "make sure it had some of the DNA from the previous films", but he handed the production designing duties to Ed Verreaux.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111625

• 1 month later...

More news...

- According to Colin Trevorrow's Twitter feed, John Schwartzman (The Amazing Spider-Man, Saving Mr. Banks) will be the director of photography for Jurassic World. No digital cameras, the sequel will use 35mm and 65mm film. (Which means it'll be post-converted to 3D rather than natively shot.)

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/431295438356893696

Some more tidbits:

- Legendary Pictures is co-producing Jurassic World with Universal and Amblin Entertainment, per producer Patrick Crowley. The same article mentions the film begins production in April in Oahu and Kauai, where they will film for six weeks.

- After filming in Hawaii, production moves to New Orleans. They'll begin filming there June 2 and conclude in mid-August.

More news...

- According to Colin Trevorrow's Twitter feed, John Schwartzman (The Amazing Spider-Man, Saving Mr. Banks) will be the director of photography for Jurassic World. No digital cameras, the sequel will use 35mm and 65mm film. (Which means it'll be post-converted to 3D rather than natively shot.)

Weird!

Why weird? I think Spielberg's involvement enabled Trevorrow to have a choice to shoot on film or digital... and I'm pretty sure Trevorrow wants to keep the same kind of filmic 'look' for this movie.

And since they film in locations where it tends to be humid and damp (Louisiana is especially nasty in summertime), film cameras are a lot more durable than digital cameras.

It is interesting that they changed their mind about shooting the film in 3D like they originally said it would be when the film was first getting ready to go. As said, I'm sure they will end up post-converting it (maybe Spielberg and company believe the post-conversion job they did on the first JP worked so well that they may as well just do it again). Maybe since this director has only had experience with one other film in his career so far he didn't want to film with 3D cameras when offered the option. Is it really that much different directing with them than even just a standard digital camera? I'm sure it is.

Btw I don't think this article was mentioned yet, which mentions Chris Pratt talking vaguely about his character and the plot of the film:

http://www.jurassicworld.org/?id=103

The most interesting parts mentioned were:

"What I liked about it was it answers the question, 'Why would you do that?' How do you suspend disbelief to be like 'Oh, yes, let's make this mistake again'? 'We haven't learned our lesson about dinosaurs. We should definitely live with them to see how that works out after three tries at it,' " Pratt said. "[Trevorrow] answers the question really well through the script. Colin did a great job of writing it and justifying it, in his own way having fun with. Anybody who goes in with that question will be really amused, the way I was, about how they answer that."

And this:

When it comes to heroes of "Jurassic Park," there are essentially two types. You've got Dr. Alan Grant's (Sam Neill) respect for prehistoric life, and then there's Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), who's all "Life finds a way."

So which kind of dino-dueling hero will Pratt play? The actor said he character falls somewhere between the two, explaining, "He's got a little of both. He's got a little bit of the Goldblum cynicism, but also the Sam Neill excitement and the wonder of the biology of it all."

More news...

Weird!

They should use Tiffen ProMist filters like Dean Cundey.

1232103757__63724_zoom.jpg

jurassic_park_1.png

Not a fan of a 3D conversion. Doesn't shooting on film make it harder because they have to get rid of the grain, or something?

The conversion of the first took about a year, and I can hardly see the same being spent on the new one. and just because the director has perhaps seen demos of what can be done these days, doesn't guarantee that the entire film will be as well rendered.

Personally I don't even care about the 3D at all. Sure, I'll check it out in 3D, maybe even for my first viewing, but I'd rather they just make the film look good without worrying about 3D at all so it can be enjoyed just as well in 2D.

Not a fan of a 3D conversion. Doesn't shooting on film make it harder because they have to get rid of the grain, or something?

The conversion of the first took about a year, and I can hardly see the same being spent on the new one. and just because the director has perhaps seen demos of what can be done these days, doesn't guarantee that the entire film will be as well rendered.

A lot of movies convert to 3D since it's far cheaper ($5M-$10M) compared to doing it natively (which can range from $30M to $40M).