Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Ha! I saw that one and we were so excited with a friend when it was announced. And it's probably not the largest yet, eventually they're gonna find an even bigger one. But for the common public, it would be just another Brachio I'm afraid.

But for the common public, it would be just another Brachio I'm afraid.

I think you're giving them too much credit, 80% of the population probably still thinks brontosaurus is a dinosaur.

i really hope the weird dinosaur is just a carnotaurus (it can be oversized if they want...) with mixed cuttlefish dna to explain the camouflage skin we all loved from TLW novel.

If not...it's going to be dissapointing :(

Well, yeah. Paleontology itself is still based on a lot of speculation, athough each day they seem to be getting closer to what it may have been.

Nerdist, ran by Legendary Pictures, revealed that:

"The super dino is a genetic experiment by Bryce Dallas Howard who works at Jurassic World designing exciting new dino hybrids to thrill tourists."

Which further confirms the joblo article. In addition to that, we apparently now have the name of the dinosaur, thanks to exclusive info. from scified:

Diabolus Rex or "D-Rex" for short.

And jurassicworld.org posted these photos of its enclosure:

DREX1.jpg

DREX2.jpg

As did Reel Tours:

10390177_743917812319399_625420030213054

14893_743917808986066_595587751110725970

10401872_743917845652729_139936276730589

10305600_743917852319395_327052722119869

10377362_743917862319394_331902694432187

10365782_745288795515634_208456425435523

That new dino sounds more retarded than I could have guessed. Damn it! This film looked so good too!

Even for people who don't like the idea of this new dino (which, imo, could be cool depending on the execution), I think a lot of people are letting it get to them. It's just on dinosaur in amongst a bunch of others that will be in the film, and it is the only "mutation".

Yeah, it's kinda stupid... BUT with a right execution (something in between that doesn't take itself so seriously but still knows to be serious) it could be okay I guess.

Fans at JPLegacy are freaking out though. It's interesting to note that some of the essentials of the homocraptors story are still surviving in this. Makes me think that Spielberg must be really pushing for it.

Oh totally. There's no doubt with this recent news that there are some elements either Spielberg, for whatever reason, really wanted all along, or the studio did. And they have just been waiting for the right story to tell it with these elements that fans would at least be interested in. I mean, despite this stuff, having a new park on the original island is surely what will bring in the fans it needs to in order to make money.

And don't get me started about JPL...

Even for people who don't like the idea of this new dino (which, imo, could be cool depending on the execution), I think a lot of people are letting it get to them. It's just on dinosaur in amongst a bunch of others that will be in the film, and it is the only "mutation".

By throwing in a mutated dinosaur, it feels like it's just another monster movie. By having real dinosaurs (or at least closely approximated ones), it made the franchise more special.

These things were always mutations though. I think people are forgetting that. Granted this particular one was mutated on purpose. But even in the novel, Wu toys around with the idea of making them "better" and other things. It's really just an extension of that. I think the novels may have been more about this sort of thing than the films, and people are forgetting that.

I'm not forgetting it, that's why I said approximated dinosaurs. The thing about them always being mutations was just a way for Crichton to make the science work, but for all intents and purposes we viewed them as regular dinosaurs.

well, since they are making a new park it seems the notion that "cloning dinosaurs is bad-against nature" from the other films is the past. With this new intended mutant that obviously will break loose, the new moral is 'should we tinker with nature-genetics beyond just cloning'? since the answer is no for unpredictable and uncotrollable issues, If they make more films they must choose a different theme, as they (park owners) wouldnt be that stupid to do that again...

About the rest of the dinosaurs 'acting' like normal nowadays caged animals, it is not far fetched, with the correct measures, it should be possible to make a dinosaur 'zoo'. And well training animals is possible, so unless they do ridiculous things....

but i would prefer the movie without any kaijus in there...

Yeah, they are definitely taking the message of the older films just that much further, like you said. As long as they do it in a believable way, including the "trained" dinosaurs, I'm game. I think the problem with a lot of fans, like a lot of people from JPL, is that they have written their own Jurassic Park sequel (some of them literally in the form of fanfiction). And in some ways, it is understandable: it has been over 10 years since the last film came out. That's a long time to go without another entry, and with no other novels to go by than the two, people have been fairly creative in coming up with their own ideas as to what a new film would be about. And frankly, I don't think any of them ever dreamed they would do a film about a new park, unless they were just going to flat-out remake the first film. But that's not even what this is, either. Then throw in these new developments of mutations and trained dinosaurs (which has clearly been an idea either Spielberg or the studio has wanted for years) and the reactions from people have been very confused and dramatic because of it. They just need to let go of whatever sequel they wrote for themselves, because they aren't going to get it, and they never were.

Now... here is a new leak. BIG SPOILERS. It is pictures of the map that had been discussed before on that podcast. Someone on JPL apparently leaked them.

10289844_10202141124991469_2864124374496

10298949_10202141120591359_6196967692162

10377074_10202141121271376_5196686365674

10393830_10202141126631510_4098353896185

jurassic-world-map-leaks.jpg

These pictures of the map are DEFINITELY exciting. I cannot wait!

These images also further confirm another new dinosaur (sea reptile) for the film:

Mosasaur

Needs more Raptors!

On a side note, the problem with JPLegacy is that they're expecting this film to be THE definitive sequel, the one that puts the other sequels mistakes to shame. The one that finally incoporates the DX disease plot from the novels, that brings Byosin as an important sub-plot, and sure, that stuff would be great but it's obvious it's not what Spielberg wants. I think it's quite apparent he hasn't been that keen on the novels since the early 90's. I don't think if it's he honestly didn't like them that much or if he just decided to ignore because of the old debate of how to translate a book into a movie and obviously the result it's gonna be different because of the difference between the mediums and bla bla bla....

I know that he felt identified with the novel Hammond (!) and changed him into what he thaught he saw himself as, and although the second book isn't that great, it does feature some great setpieces, written especially in mind for a movie. It's quite a mistery why did Spielberg felt better to completely ignore a lot of stuff from the books. Jaws is kinda the same, although the movie does manage to fix some stuff -omitting that useless romance between Hooper and Mrs Brody- and overall the movie's better. I think the problem with Jurassic World is that it carries the burden of the other movies mistakes, especially the first one. It's quite difficult to carry on with the story after the first one. I mean, what else is actually to tell there? To sustain an entire two hour movie, I don't think there's much, even with the cool DX plot and the Trespasser story stuff, which is brilliant but again: Is it enough to carry a whole movie?

The homocraptors are just a product of that overthinking and lack of trust in the Crichton texts, sadly. At least it seems we're getting a more even movie with this new park, we'll see how it goes. Frankly I just wanna see well-made dinosaurs at this point, I don't care about much else. If the effects can be as good as the first film and give us that sense of wonder, I'll be satisfied. Doesn't have to be a masterpiece.

Way to ramble!

interesting...

but i'm reaching the point of not wanting more spoilers... i dont know if it will be cooler to see the new film without knowing anything or not.... XD

Yeah, I admit, the images of the map are probably pushing it in terms of spoilers. It gives away a LOT of what this film will be like, even without any concrete knowledge on the plot. However, we have to also remember that just because there's stuff on a map doesn't mean we will actually see it all in the movie. Some things we'll maybe only just know of or perhaps get a glimpse or two. But judging from the map, this new park is definitely a place I wish I could visit! :D Well, until all hell breaks loose...

Yeah..the JP brochure map was full of things.. and we hardly saw six dinosaur species... :P

I rembember seeking everything about JP back in the day, before watching the film...

And the film still delivered. But...maybe one or two tense-scare moments were ruined for being spoiled. So i dont know....

I just want it to be 2015 already!!!

i'm angry they just couldnt make a mutant carnotaurus.

We already seen several t-rexes...

Maybe if Disney's Dinosaur had not used the carnotaur as main antagonist... :(

I sometimes wonder if that's also the reason why they won't use it, because it had basically already been done. I do have to hand it to Disney for at least making their Carnotaurus pretty damn cool, despite the movie it was in (which was, unfortunately, still a better movie than that dreaded Walking With Dinosaurs 3D movie POS last year). I mean, they respected it enough to at least not make it talk, haha! Had some pretty cool scenes with it, too.

That James Newton Howard score certainly helped. ;)

To be fair, Dinosaur came out years after The Lost World, so it's not like they didn't have a chance to use it in the JP films. Maybe if they had actually adapted Crichton's novel properly. Or maybe they just didn't think they had good enough CGI to do something like the "invisible" effects convincing with a dinosaur.

Haha he was cool in the arcade game with the camo feature.

(At about 2 minutes in)

By the way, if I remember correctly, originally in Jurassic Park 3 the dinosaur that encounters them briefly by the Spinosaur droppings at the river was going to be a Carnotaurus (without camo effect). But then they changed it to Ceratosaurus for some reason. Again, probably not wanting to be compared to the Disney film? Don't know.

Yeah I believe that video was emulated to PC using some sort of Japan copy of it someone obtained (the only one that can be currently emulated I believe). It was quite a fun game back in its day!

Oh, and I dug up the script of Jurassic Park 3 (yes, it actually had one, contrary to popular belief, LOL). It was indeed supposed to be a Carnotaur. It also was followed by a slightly amusing line from Paul Kirby that got cut, that I remember actually being mentioned in an interview with William H. Macy.

In all the excitement, none of them notice a fierce horned

CARNOTAUR right behind them. The giant creature ROARS, ready

to eat them.

But as it gets in close, it smells them. Even a dinosaur won't

eat something that is covered in shit. After a beat, the

Carnotaur turns and walks away, back into the jungle.

PAUL

Can't help but be a little offended.

The script actually has quite a few differences, including an extended ending with the Pteranodons actually attacking the helicopters.

i think that line was also in the junior novelisation. Because i read it before.

I found the game! Let's see if i can meke it work. A Dream come true since 1997!

Haha, cute. :D

Yeah, it was in the junior novelization, along with a lot of other things that had been in the original script (and other things that weren't). I really liked that book, actually. Was a lot better than the film! I had actually read that book before I saw the movie. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be released yet or not, but I got it, and couldn't help but read it all before seeing it. Yeah, I spoiled myself lol. But I was a tad disappointed it didn't have some of the cool things in the book, like pteranodon stuff at the end.

That patch is freaking awesome (sorry, was MIA to post it).

And didn't you play Jurassic Park: The Game? You play as the park vet, Gerry Harding, heh. :D

And if you guys haven't played the game, perhaps the best thing about it was the fun death scenes!

And if you guys haven't played the game, perhaps the best thing about it was the fun death scenes!

Yeah, it's definitely a game where it pays to lose - same with Telltale's Walking Dead game, actually. Dying in those games isn't a timesuck, as it typically starts you back within a minute of the choice/action that gets you killed.

Yeas, i enjoyed very much playing as gerry harding hehehe :)

BTW the other day i noticed that the baby triceratops there is called "Bakhita". And well how they say it, it sounds like the spanish word 'Vaquita'. Which means 'little cow'. Which, being in costa rica, and a herbivore, i think it is intentional and not a coincidence...

So Colin Trevorrow actually came clean in regards to a lot of rumors that had been popping up lately, and things that had been given away in other spoilers (featured in this very thread. It actually really pacifies most concerns people had. It sort of sucks in a way because you can tell he is bummed he couldn't keep this all in the dark until the movie came out, but I guess he finally realized that it's 2014... the days of movies being a total SURPRISE are pretty much gone. And he probably felt forced to come clean to a lot of what was being said because a lot of fan boys were taking the news the wrong way, or too extreme in the negative.

Obviously, there are some spoilers at the link below:

http://www.slashfilm.com/jurassic-world-plot-details-colin-treverrow/

Here are some highlights:

--

"What do you feel are the biggest misconceptions from the leaked rumors about the Jurassic World story versus the real screenplay?"

That’s the thing about leaks, sometimes they aren’t misinterpreted or false. They’re real story elements that the filmmakers were hoping to introduce to the audience in a darkened movie theater. But unfortunately, in 2014, you read about it on a computer. Last week was discouraging for everyone on our crew–not because we want to hide things from the fans, but because we’re working so hard to create something full of surprises. When I was a kid, you got to discover everything at once, it washed over you and blew your mind. Now it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else. I hope whoever leaked it is actively trying to undermine what we’re doing. Because if they’re trying to help, they’re doing it wrong.

--Colin confirmed that the film focusses around an operational Jurassic Park which is now a worldwide destination for families and the like. It has elements of a biological preserve, a safari, a zoo, and a theme park. It's a luxery resort with hotels, restaurants, nightlife and a golf course and it includes the most important thing - REAL dinosaurs. "It’s the realization of John Hammond’s dream, and I think you’ll want to go there."

--In regards to the "trained dinosaurs":

"Chris Pratt’s character is doing behavioral research on the raptors. They aren’t trained, they can’t do tricks. He’s just trying to figure out the limits of the relationship between these highly intelligent creatures and human beings. If people don’t think there’s potential in those ideas, maybe they won’t like this movie. But I ask them to give it a chance."

--The take a boat from Costa Rica to get to Nublar, not from Florida as JoBlo had reported. I knew that detail had to be wrong, because it didn't make any logical sense in relation to where the islands were, unless they had simply made a mistake and though the islands where elsewhere, lol. It was the only "leak/rumor" that made me worried, to be honest. It would have been a horrible oversight.

--The recent leak of the Diabolus-Rex was also discussed - it was intended to be a surprise for the audience. It does include the DNA of a snake and a cuttlefish, but Colin ensures it's not going to be a mutant as some fans have suggested. It's a dinosaur, made in the same way the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were; spliced with frog DNA.

"I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it. But we aren’t doing anything here that Crichton didn’t suggest in his novels. This animal is not a mutant freak. It doesn’t have a snake’s head or octopus tentacles. It’s a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level. For me, it’s a natural evolution of the technology introduced in the first film. Maybe it sounds crazy, but most of my favorite movies sound crazy when you describe them in a single sentence."

Honestly, I was never truly concerned with any of the leaked spoilers or rumors this film has had since it got into actual production. I know this movie isn't going to be like the other films, and certainly not as classic as the first film. But I am really excited with the potential this film could have in terms of a big, crazy, and fun film in this kind of environment. I also really like he keeps bringing up Crichton. It shows he really did go back to the true source of this film... something a lot of JP fans for some strange reason like to just brush off to the side.

Oh, and the article includes these two pictures of Colin on the set:

ZZ7FAEB9CE.jpg

Colin-Trevorrow.jpg

Surprised no one has responded to the previous post yet! Well, despite it being so revealing, another leak happened today. It's honestly a fairly big spoiler if you think about it. I'll just say something from the original film makes an appearance. You'll have to unhide the spoiler to even see the link.

http://www.scified.com/site/jurassicworld/exclusive-original-jurassic-park-visitor-center-will-be-in-jurassic-world

The ruins of the original Visitor Center from the first film makes an appearance, as do other park remains apparently.

Also:

Without naming names, two characters find themselves lost in the dense jungles of Isla Nublar and discover the run-down remains of John Hammond's Jurassic Park. There, a series of thrilling events take place which lead to some pretty awesome action sequences (which were described to us by our reliable source).

Totally awesome in every way. I won't lie... this is shaping up to be the sequel I always wanted from this series. It won't be better than the original, of course. But wow... I can't wait to see all of this.

However, and he had every right to be, the co-writer of the film actually tweeted very negatively about this reveal:

Hey @JurassicPark_4 are you going to share how the movie ends, too, when you find out? For f*'s sake

Never understood why fan boys cry over plot leaks for upcoming films. If you don't sniff around, then you won't have it spoiled for you. Plain and simple.

The spoilers aren't any different from what we already knew. It takes place 22 years later, it's a fully functional park, and some there's some mutated dinosaur running around. And, surprise surprise, everything goes to hell again and people die.

Interesting interview, though. It seems like he wants this to be an intelligent picture rather than a boneheaded blockbuster. That's promising.

Well that wasn't a fanboy crying over it, that was the co-writer of the actual film, heh. He has a bit more reason to get mad over it than anyone else, really. But yeah, the Colin interview was fantastic. I mean, not only did he clear up the rumors and some of the misconceptions of them, he also showed in a lot of ways his vision of the film and some of the themes and ideas it would explore. He really has what could be a unique spin on it that will please hopefully more than just the fans of the series, but a new audience.

I like a lot of what the director had to say about the project. He seems very open and honest about his approach and the expectations that go along with the film. I particularly dug the line about a teenager looking at his cell phone instead of the t-rex behind safety glass. That's a great image to make the concept very relevant for the modern age.

Yeah, I too was really taken by that image. Such a great current social commentary.

At this point I honestly will try to avoid spoilers a bit more from now on. I won't get mad if I run into any more (and I am sure I will), but don't expect me posting every single thing anymore like I had been, heh. I'm so on board now that I don't really need any further convincing or leaks to get me more excited or concerned. But I eagerly await the first trailer!

Interesting interview, though. It seems like he wants this to be an intelligent picture rather than a boneheaded blockbuster. That's promising.

Do we really want/desire that from a dinosaurs-on-the-rampage movie?

I mean Spielberg did something right in JP (and LW): it was a crass commercial movie without pretensions (the few environmental nibbles aside) and doing it any other way probably will satisfy no one.

Yes! Finally we get to see some proper ruins from Isla Nublar! Although at some point during production JPIII took place on that island and they changed it to Sorna mid-way -in fact that's the only scene that still grabs me to this day of the movie: The exploration of the abandoned cloning facilities. Too bad they waste it almost instantly with that nonsensical Raptor head...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today is a year until the film is released, and to celebrate, they have released three official photos from the film via the link below.

http://www.avclub.com/article/weve-got-some-exclusive-jurassic-world-photos-you-205704

640.jpg

Pratt, looking hot on that bike. ;) Wonder if we will finally get a bike chase sequence like in The Lost World novel? Look at the shack he lives in, haha.

640.jpg

Bryce, looking like a bitch if you ask me, haha.

640.jpg

The two kids. It would seem that it is them who

get lost in the park and likely come across the ruins of JP

. Is that a bloody worker hat he is holding?