Hollywood in Vienna 2015 - James Newton Howard

leeallen01

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exciting for you, I think, judging from your picture! :)

I saw JNH live in Ghent in 2012, and also had the opportunity to interview him, so I can't prioritize this before the Ghent/Silvestri event this year (a couple of weeks later). But if I suddenly get the cash and means, I will try. Like you, I'm a HUGE fan of his.

He's my favourite composer so yeah I'm willing to stalk him throughout the globe. I met him in Dallas for his concerts there that he conducted. I missed Gent that year but managed to go to the Desplat year and met Thomas Newman there strangely enough. I'm going to the Silvestri one too in October, and I'll have to go to this otherwise I'll lose my street cred as his biggest fan.

By the way, the newsletter already hints at the playlist:

The Addams Family

Death Becomes Her

Poltergeist

Alice in Wonderland

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Twilight

Das Parfum

The Omen

The Dark Knight

The Village

Maleficent

Pretty Woman

The Prince of Tides

The Hunger Games

Exciting for you, I think, judging from your picture! :)

I saw JNH live in Ghent in 2012, and also had the opportunity to interview him, so I can't prioritize this before the Ghent/Silvestri event this year (a couple of weeks later). But if I suddenly get the cash and means, I will try. Like you, I'm a HUGE fan of his.

I didn't know Silvestri is coming to Ghent this year. Great news!

Looks like it'll be JNH this year at the Hollywood in Vienna Concerts and Awards.

When you start a thread like this can you please include a link to where you learned this information? Thanks!

Looks like it'll be JNH this year at the Hollywood in Vienna Concerts and Awards.

When you start a thread like this can you please include a link to where you learned this information? Thanks!

My bad. Will do.

I like the gallery seats. They're comparatively cheap, you get a good view of the entire orchestra, and the sound is perfectly fine as long as you don't sit in the last row (where the rear wall absorbs too much). I'd say all the other elevated seats with a reasonable line of sight should be good, too. If you want to see the special guests, who are usually seated behind the middle aisle on the floor (except when they're called on stage, obviously), you'll probably need a place on the side balcony, or on the ground. Ground seats probably don't give you to best view of the orchestra though, and if you're too much on the sides, or too much in the front or back, the acoustics probably suffer.

Perfect, thanks! Just got two tickets on the gallery, front row. I'm at the normal concert, so the special guests won't be there anyway.

I'm in the Gallery too for both concerts. I was told by the Hollywood in Vienna organisers that JNH is attending both concerts, but he will be receiving the award and doing his necessary speech etc at the Gala Concert on the 16th. I don't know if that info is correct, but it came from them so I'm assuming so.

This was their message - "Dear Lee, The concert on the 15th will be the same program as the 16th and JNH as guest as well, and the concert on the 16th is the gala concert with red carpet, where JNH will receive the Max Steiner Award.

Yes, I'd imagine at least some of the guest stars are there for the regular concert as well, especially when they conduct a piece - as I assume JNH will.

Got balcony tickets like every year.

• 8 months later...

During the festival, Conrad Pope and Dennis Sands did some test recordings with the Vienna Synchron Stage Orchestra, a 40 piece orchestra.

"The Adventures of Mutt"

Theme from "Jurassic Park (James Thatcher reprised his solo horn part from the original recording)

They sound really good!