Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

Actually, you're all wrong. The real reason why Silvestri is scoring RPO, is that he had already written a bunch of quasi negro-spiritual songs for it, and had, secretly, acquired the film rights. Warner Bros. simply would not budge.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So... Looks like there's the Iron Giant at some point? Could we possibly hear quotes from Kamen's score?

There isn't much "quotable" music in that score though.  I doubt even fans of the film would recognize it

I really do wonder what JW would have done with this. Doesn't look that great but it seems crazy enough for a cool musical approach. Hope Silvestri goes nuts.

Weird how Star Wars movies look visually restrained now relative to Spielberg when 15 years ago it was the reverse...

Looks like "callback the movie". Hopefully the references aren't so in your face in the actual thing, I trust Spielberg. Visuals should be great at least.

Also Iron Giant is in this film? Wow, that's actually kinda awesome.

KOTCS is harmless fun, this looks absolutely outside of Williams' sensibilities.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Not to mention the fact that Williams would've had to squeeze in a musical narrative inbetween the endless references (many of which would have had to be provided by the score itself (something Williams was never very keen on)) 

I doubt they're hiring a composer like Silvestri to fill the score with quotes. I'm sure we'll have some references, but knowing Silvestri's track record, there's going to be very little of other composers themes.

Did Spielberg make this as some sort of contractual obligation? Did he actually have a loaded gun pointed at his head while directing it?

So..he's a "cinematic game-changer", now, eh? Give me strength. 

Sorry to be a downer, but this looks like complete shit.

However... TOM SAWYER! Fuck, yeah!!!!!!!! :rock:

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Wow, Spielberg doesn't make another 'boring' historical drama and turns his hand to something much more striking and ambitious (and judging by the trailer, a pretty hard sell of a movie), and folks here still whine and moan about it. Damn millennials! Git back to your Dunkirks and superheroes. Stay safe!

Only on JWFan!

58 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I doubt they're hiring a composer like Silvestri to fill the score with quotes. 

True.  If that was the intent, they probably would have gotten Giacchino (and thank god they didn't!)

A kids movie with loads of 80's call backs? 

This looks like a dad's movie, a film dad's will drag their kids to see hoping it will warm them up to 80's Amblin cinema.

Quintus is already trying to decide if his son is too young for this.

Tbh honest, I haven't really formulated a view on the movie. The trailer makes it looks like a CGI fest to me, and I'm not sure that I fancy it at the moment. But it's Spielberg, so I know a high level of storytelling competency will be present and correct. Did Speed Racer have that? I didn't see that movie. 

The difficulty is I'll not watch another trailer for the film now, so to get me to see it Spielberg is now reliant on buzz, word of mouth and his name on the poster after the words "Directed By". Bearing in mind I still haven't seen Lincoln or Bridge of Spies. 

But hey, I prefer to keep an open mind about these things.

Besides, my last post was a comment on JWFan posters and not the movie.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A kids movie with loads of 80's call backs? 

A kids movie with lots of references for the parents. Sounds familiar? 

Better wait for the Papers, Alex. I think that is more your sort of thing.

It is typical JWFan though. The next two Spielberg films are a sci-fi actio/adventure flick and a serious historical drama, and people seem to hate either of them.

Exactly what kinda film do you want Spielberg to make???

The silliest thing about it is every single one of those disparaging and difficult to please voices will absolutely see this film in theatres anyway. I'll probably be the only one here who misses it!

Circle of autistic life