Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

New trailer arrives today:

Plus, new article and pics from the film on Entertainment Weekly:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/08/ready-player-one-first-look-photos/

And a new poster:

first-movie-poster-released-for-ready-pl

What the hell happened to the right leg of this guy??

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Hint of BTTF at the very end?

Karol

Yes, I believe so.

I hope there’s a few Easter eggs in the score itself 

The kid should look more like the loser described in the book (the actors generally look too much like Central Casting). We might see if Spielberg is the first director making sense of these cluttered blockbuster cgi action scenes. Cautiously optimistic.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

I don't understand 'The Post'.

For better or for worse, it's classic twilight-years-Spielberg material.

I don't think Spielberg is the big budget, Hollywood visual effects director anymore. And aside from the poster (which I do like), there are no signs of this film looking any different than your typical Jan-March season CGI trash.

I don't agree in principle but you're right that the impersonal way of making this stuff (and Spielberg shoots today) probably makes this a wild card. But at least it's a chance for an engaging futurist action adventure whereas another dimwitted civil rights lesson is pretty much a loss already.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

What the hell is wrong with his right leg?

I spotted tracer, and what appears to be a gundam this time. Better trailer then the last. This looks dope aside from the Oasis which kinda looks ugly. Guess that's considered a "hot take" opinion around these parts. 

I enjoyed the book, but I think Spielberg might have messed this up.

It's probably the first and last time I'll ever utter these words...but JJ Abrams probably should have directed this.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The one downside is I'll probably always wonder what a John Williams score might have sounded like. 

But you will always have an OK Silvestri score to enjoy.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Haven't seen the new trailer yet but just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to Silvestri's score :)

He's having quite a year. This in March, Avengers in May.

Karol

I wonder how much of the material from the many 80's pop culture references they were able to get the rights to for this film. Without those, it's just another ugly CGI fest. 

And Spielberg's decision not to reference his own work, when that makes up quite a number of said references in the book, is just stupid, stupid, stupid, given that Spielberg's own work is actually material they could have gotten the rights to given that he's directing.  By not using it, why is he directing this thing again?

Not to mention Spielberg's tendency to have zero respect for the source material in his book adaptions, I can't say I'm optimistic about this at all. Which is a pity because the book was a lot of fun.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Well as usual YouTube flagged the trailer up for me and so I reluctantly ended up watching it. And what a turnaround I've had after the vague and puzzling teaser, because I now think this could be fabulous! I really fancy this, it looks like one big nostalgia trip packaged as an ambitious special effects extravaganza as helmed by the most sure and genre-experienced pair of hands in Hollywood. So straight up to the top of my priority list you go, thank you very much. 

The one downside is I'll probably always wonder what a John Williams score might have sounded like. 

What you have said it what I’m sure SS’s concept of this film was from day one. If he pulls it off it could be amazing. 

23 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Not to mention Spielberg's tendency to have zero respect for the source material in his book adaptions ...

So did Stanley!

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Oh no! A Spielberg sci-fi/action movie! RUN!

Minority Report is OK.  War of the Worlds, on the other hand, was awful.  So I'd say he's about 50% at best on this score (unless I'm forgetting something).

24 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I wonder how much of the material from the many 80's pop culture references they were able to get the rights to for this film. Without those, it's just another ugly CGI fest. In fact it may even be those with it.

And Spielberg's decision not to reference his own work, when that makes up quite a number of said references in the book, is just stupid, stupid, stupid, given that Spielberg's own work is actually material they could have gotten the rights to given that he's directing.  By not using it, why is he directing this thing again?

Not to mention Spielberg's tendency to have zero respect for the source material in his book adaptions, I can't say I'm optimistic about this at all. Which is a pity because the book was a lot of fun.

The book was enjoyable but not so good that I’m not open to change. There’s absolutely no peril in the book whatsoever. The hero gets from A-B with relative ease and the plot is pretty basic. I’m looking forward to it getting beefed up a bit 

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Minority Report is OK.  War of the Worlds, on the other hand, was awful.  So I'd say he's about 50% at best on this score (unless I'm forgetting something).

Both of those films (and scores) are absolutely fantastic!

I agree they both have good scores.  And Minority Report I'd say was actually a pretty influential science fiction film (and probably Spielberg's last truly influential film).

War of the Worlds, on the other hand, I never really connected to. Something about seeing bad daddy Tom Cruise run around dodging explosions just didn't work for me.