What big blockbustery films and scores are you most looking forward to this year?

Jay

What big blockbustery films and score are you most looking forward to this year?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What big blockbustery SUMMER FILM are you most looking forward to this year?

• Furious 7 (April 3, James Wan)
    • Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1, Joss Whedon)
    • Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15, George Miller)
    • Poltergeist (May 22, Gil Kenan)
    • Tomorrowland (May 22, Brad Bird)
    • San Andreas (May 29, Brad Peyton)
    • Jurassic World (June 12, Colin Trevorrow)
    • Inside Out (June 19, Pete Docter)
    • Terminator Genisys (July 1, Alan Taylor)
    • Minions (July 10, Pierre Coffin & Kyle Balda)
    • Ant-Man (July 17, Peyton Reed)
    • Pan used to be here - change your vote and I can remove it.
    • Pixels (July 24, Chris Columbus)
    • Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (July 31, Christopher McQuarrie)
    • Fantastic Four (August 7, Josh Trank)
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (August 14, Guy Ritchie)
  2. 2. What big blockbustery WINTER FILM are you most looking forward to this year?

• London Has Fallen (October 2, Babak Najafi)
    • Crimson Peak (October 16, Guillermo del Toro)
    • The Peanuts Movie (November 6, Steve Martino)
    • SPECTRE (November 6, Sam Mendes)
    • Hunger Games 4 (November 20, Francis Lawrence)
    • The Good Dinosaur (November 25, Peter Sohn)
    • The Martian (November 25, Ridley Scott)
    • In the Heart of the Sea (December 11, Ron Howard)
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 18, J.J. Abrams)
    • Point Break (December 25, Ericson Core)
    • Pan (October 9, Joe Wright)
  3. 3. What big blockbustery SUMMER SCORE are you most looking forward to this year?

• Furious 7 (April 3, Brian Tyler)
    • Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1, Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman)
    • Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15, Junkie XL)
    • Poltergeist (May 22, Marc Streitenfeld)
    • Tomorrowland (May 22, Michael Giacchino)
    • San Andreas (May 29, Andrew Lockington)
    • Jurassic World (June 12, Michael Giacchino)
    • Inside Out (June 19, Michael Giacchino)
    • Terminator Genisys (July 1, Lorne Balfe)
    • Minions (July 10, Heitor Pereira)
    • Ant-Man (July 17, Christophe Beck)
    • Pan used to be here - change your vote and I can remove it.
    • Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (July 31, Joe Kraemer)
    • Fantastic Four (August 7, Marco Beltrami & Philip Glass)
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (August 14, Daniel Pemberton)
    • Pixels (July 24, Henry Jackman)
  4. 4. What big blockbustery WINTER SCORE are you most looking forward to this year?

• London Has Fallen (October 2, Trevor Morris)
    • Crimson Peak (October 16, Fernando Velázquez)
    • The Peanuts Movie (November 6, Christophe Beck)
    • SPECTRE (November 6, Thomas Newman)
    • Hunger Games 4 (November 20, James Newton Howard)
    • The Good Dinosaur (November 25, Mychael Danna)
    • The Martian (November 25, ???)
    • In the Heart of the Sea (December 11, Roque Baños)
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 18, John Williams)
    • Point Break (December 25, Junkie XL)
    • Pan (October 9, John Powell)

Vote now!

And share you top 2-3 choices for each category in a post!

My most anticipated summer blockbuster films:
1. Jurassic World
2. Avengers 2
3. Inside Out
4. Tomorrowland
5. Mission Impossible 5

My most anticipated summer blockbuster scores:
1. Inside Out
2. Tomorrowland
3. Jurassic World
4. Mission Impossible 5
5. Pan

My most anticipated winter blockbuster films:
1. Star Wars 7
2. SPECTRE
3. The Martian
4. The Good Dinosaur

My most anticipated winter blockbuster scores:
1. Star Wars 7

For summer, Mad Max for movie and Fantastic Four for score (the presence of Glass intrigues me), although I was a bit surprised how uninterested I am in most of those scores

As for winter, Star Wars all the way

Almost looks more like a sci-fi movie than a superhero movie. The trailers out so far mostly show exploration and drama and not supervillain fighting. But we'll see.

I hope the Jurassic World score is good..... for some reason I'm worried about it. They just finished recording Tomorrowland today, and JW records in 2 weeks. I hope MG had enough time to write on it. I just feel like he spent more time on Tomorrowland and Inside Out than he did on Jurassic World. We'll see.

Summer Films

1. Inside Out

2. Tomorrowland

3. Mission: Impossible

4. Jurassic World

Summer Scores

1. Pan

2. Inside Out

3. Tomorrowland

4. Jurassic World

5. Mission: Impossible

Winter Films

1. Star Wars

2. Spectre

3. Peanuts

4. The Good Dinosaur

Winter Scores

1. Star Wars

2. Spectre

3. The Good Dinosaur (just counting on Pixar usually being reliable for good scores)

Those are the ones I know for sure I'll be watching/listening to. Not sure what to make of Pan as a film, but Joe Wright's an interesting director so it'll probably at least be a rental for me and I really can't wait for the score either way. I guess I'll inevitably see The Avengers and Hunger Games, as well, and I'm keeping an eye on most of the others.

Summer Film - Mad Max: Fury Road

Summer Score - Tomorrowland

Winter Film - SPECTRE

Winter Score - SPECTRE

When did you suddenly get good taste?

It's odd that Koray, the biggest Snyder hater in the universe, should look out for Mad Max: Fury Road.

Since you only "guess" that Jurassic World is your most anticipated summer score, I guess that means you aren't that interested in the Inside Out score.... but then you list The Good Dinosaur as your runner-up Winter score. But both are Pixar movies..... does something about The Good Dinosaur appeal to you more than Inside out, at least as far as either's potential score goes?

Since you only "guess" that Jurassic World is your most anticipated summer score, I guess that means you aren't that interested in the Inside Out score.... but then you list The Good Dinosaur as your runner-up Winter score. But both are Pixar movies..... does something about The Good Dinosaur appeal to you more than Inside out, at least as far as either's potential score goes?

The Good Dinosaur simply has more potential for great music (in my opinion, of course) than Inside Out, whether it be written by Giacchino, Newman or otherwise (John Powell???).

I'm sure Inside Out will be a fine score but I'm honestly more interested in Jurassic World as a score, just to see how Giaccino will do adapting Williams' material. I'm not particularly excited for anything outside of Star Wars 7 to be honest, hence the "I guesses".

1. Minions - The Despicable Me series has been a guilty pleasure thus far, plus I went to the same high school as a producer.

2. Mad Max - Even the fact that it's a Holkenbog score can't dampen my enthusiasm for Tom Hardy as Max.

3. Tomorrowland - Live-action Brad Bird could be very interesting.

4. San Andreas - Don't misunderstand me: I have no expectation that this movie will be anything but terrible. In fact, I expect it to be absolutely dreadful, to the point it's "so bad it's good."

1. Poltergeist - If it's anything like Goldsmith, it'll be great. Anyway, Streitenfeld still has a lot of credit banked after American Gangster, even if nothing else he's done is noteworthy.

2. Fantastic Four - A Beltrami/Glass collaboration on an action film? I actually have no idea what to expect from this.

3. Jurassic World - I have yet to really be blown away by a Giacchino score, but at the same time, I have yet to really dislike anything he's done.

4. Pan - I have basically the same things to say about Marianelli as I do about Streitenfeld, with Atonement instead of American Gangster.

1. In the Heart of the Sea - I loved the book.

2. SPECTRE - I don't think it can live up to Skyfall, but I'm always willing to give Bond a shot.

3. The Force Awakens - Please be better than The Phantom Menace... Please be better than The Phantom Menace... Please be better than The Phantom Menace... Please be better than The Phantom Menace.

1. The Force Awakens - Really, can anyone honestly say this isn't the most awaited score of the year?

2. SPECTRE - Skyfall didn't do much for me, but I quite like Newman.

3. In the Heart of the Sea - I'm not overly familiar with Baños, but Ron Howard movies tend to have good music.

4. Pan - I have basically the same things to say about Marianelli as I do about Streitenfeld, with Atonement instead of American Gangster.

Comparing Marianelli to Streitenfeld... harsh. :P

No love for V FOR VENDETTA? For me Evey Reborn alone is more compelling than the entirety of Streitenfail's output.

=================

SUMMER FILMS:

1. PAN

2. TOMORROWLAND

3. JURASSIC WORLD

4. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

5. THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.

SUMMER SCORES:

1. PAN

2. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION

3. JURASSIC WORLD

4. FANTASTIC FOUR

WINTER FILMS:

1. SPECTRE

2. STAR WARS VII

WINTER SCORES:

1. SPECTRE

2. STAR WARS VII

3. THE MARTIAN

4. IN THE HEART OF THE SEA

"STAR WAAARS, NOTHING BUT STAAAAAR WARS."

Seriously, JURASSIC WORLD and STAR WARS 7 get the votes for me in both categories. I've never liked Giacchino, but I guess I'm curious to hear how much of Williams remains -- both in terms of themes and general style.

Amazing how few of these movies and scores I'm looking forward to. In fact, I think I'm repelled by as many on these lists as I those I'm attracted to. (Poltergeist, for instance, is a reboot I'm not happy about.) Star Wars is the easy and obvious choice for both picture and score. I'm looking forward to Tomorrowland because it's Bird, Crimson Peak because it's del Toro, and in some small way Fantastic Four because it's not the last series, and deserves a better shake. It's hard not to look forward to the new Avengers, too, though I have some trepidation that they'll be able to match the first movie. There was a time when I looked forward to the next Ridley Scott film, but Prometheus did that in for me.

As for the scores . . . it's just weird looking at that list of names. I mean, there are some good composers in there, but it's just not the blockbuster list we were reading 10 and 20 years ago, y'know? Things just aren't like they used to be. . . .

Well said, Uni.

Movies and scores just ain't what they used to be.

BUT, there are still hidden gems all the time.

Comparing Marianelli to Streitenfeld... harsh. :P

No love for V FOR VENDETTA? For me Evey Reborn alone is more compelling than the entirety of Streitenfail's output.

Confession: I've never heard or watched V for Vendetta, but on looking up that cue, I was left pretty uninspired.  Maybe it would mean more in the context of the film.  Meanwhile, I've got a couple "Streitenfail" cues for you that I love.

I really can't get enough of that main theme, and then there's the wild microtonal stuff at 1:00, and the eery guitar effect that kicks in about 1:30 - raw menace.

On the more atmospheric side, the opening cue "Fire" might be the perfect tone-setter for the film. I'm not entirely sure what's going on from 1:11-1:24 (a muted trumpet rip followed by a shake into a delay pedal maybe?), but I love it.

Marianelli >>>> Streitenfeld

He's one of the most versatile and talented people writing for film out there.

That Evey Reborn leaves you unmoved is a bit surprising, as Sharky says, it wipes the floor with Streitenfeld's career (not to say I didn't enjoy the American Gangster clips you posted). Here are a few others to throw your way:

Summer Films: Avengers and Mission: Impossible, while Jurassic World and Tomorrowland drop out.

Winter Films: Star Wars and Crimsom Peak and (out of curiosity) In the Heart of the Sea

Summer scores: Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, Pan, Fantastic Four

Winter scores: Star Wars, Crimsom Peak, In the Heart of the Sea (really excited)

Surprised how few people seem interested in Inside Out. I think it has a chance to be the hit of the summer - film and score. Definitely has a chance to better than Tomorrowland and Jurassic World (score and film)

• 4 weeks later...

So with PAN moving from a Summer 2015 Film scored by Dario Marianelli to a Winter 2015 film scored by John Powell, anybody want to update their lists?

What big blockbustery SUMMER SCORE are you most looking forward to this year?

You should add the option : no one.

It should be noted that before PAN was moved out of the summer, it was in second place in the Summer SCORE poll

The winners were:

1. Jurassic World - 10 votes

2. Pan - 5 votes

3. Avengers 2 - 4 votes

4. Tomorrowland - 3 votes

It will be interesting to see where those Pan votes move to.

My new list

1. Jurassic World

2. Avengers 2

3. Inside Out

4. Tomorrowland

5. Mission Impossible 5

Now:

1. Inside Out

2. Tomorrowland

3. Mission Impossible 5

4. Avengers 2

5. Jurassic World

Early reviews of Avengers 2 are not great, and every new piece of marketing for JW makes it look worse and worse. I'm expecting to like the Pixar, Brad Bird, and Christopher McQuarrie films most this summer.

1. Inside Out

2. Tomorrowland

3. Jurassic World

4. Mission Impossible 5

5. Pan

Same list now, actually - just with no Pan any more :(

1. Star Wars 7

2. SPECTRE

3. The Martian

4. The Good Dinosaur

Same list now, though I am getting more excited about Crimson Peak and The Walk than I was before.

1. Star Wars 7

Add Powell's Pan to this and that's it. We still don't know who is scoring The Good Dinosaur - if its Giacchino or a young upcoming, that could be exciting. If its one of the Newmans, not so much for me. Maybe Crimson Peak will be a surprise. I can't imagine Scott will hire a good composer for The Martian, but who knows. I also am really looking forward to Silvestri's The Walk, though I suppose that's not really a blockbuster film.

Now, that I've seen Age of Ultron (which is largely enjoyable but gets worse with each viewing), my most anticipated blockbuster film is Mission: Impossible. And score, too. Just because I'm curious what Kraemer is going to do with it.

The winter film is Star Wars - both film and score. Not that I expect the first one to be any good. But maybe it'll be at least fun.

Karol

Star Wars 7 is pretty likely to be a lot of fun, and yea, I really hope its all the way good as well. I am sure Williams score will be - he hasn't written a less-than-stellar big blockbuster score ever.

Star Wars 7 is pretty likely to be a lot of fun, and yea, I really hope its all the way good as well. I am sure Williams score will be - he hasn't written a less-than-stellar big blockbuster score ever.

Indy 4

I love his score to Indiana Jones 4, actually. The OST is a very bad representation of the highlights, but the complete session leak completely turned me around on it.

Why would I be?

Because he's a great composer

He? I was referring to all the Newmans. David, Randy, Thomas, any of them could conceivably end up scoring The Good Dinosaur.