Williams specialty label releases this year?

filmmusic

I'm not sure if there is another thread for upcoming Williams scores.

So, although it's too early in the year, does it seem that this year is expected to be poor in older Williams releases? (expanded or unreleased)

I mean we only know of an upcoming La-laland release.

There isn't any other clue or something that there is anything in the horizon.

Unless a release comes out of the blue!

I don't understand what you're saying?

I have no inside info or anything, I'm just speculating.

We haven't seen a previously unreleased Williams score get a premiere release in many years. I doubt we'll see one this year either, unfortunately. We can always hope, though. I have no interest in any expansion of anything, of course.

I think most of the completely unreleased Williams scored that were easiest to license and make happen have come out. The rest must have added levels of difficulty. Hopefully some can happen. Intrada and Kritzerland continue to release completely unreleased film scores on the regular.

I think most of the completely unreleased Williams scored that were easiest to license and make happen have come out. The rest must have added levels of difficulty. Hopefully some can happen. Intrada and Kritzerland continue to release completely unreleased film scores on the regular.

Yeah, I was hoping Intrada -- in particular -- would pick up where FSM left off, but alas that never happened. Kritzerland does its own strange thing, but has never seemed particularly interested in Williams. Let's not give up hope, though.

I think most of the completely unreleased Williams scored that were easiest to license and make happen have come out. The rest must have added levels of difficulty.

Well, I have a different opinion.

I don't think some obscure scores from the 60s would be difficult to licence etc., but that noone is interested and noone is looking for them.

eg. i can't believe that the score of Daddy-O, or Because they're young etc. have stuck in licensing issues..

It's not Star Wars or Harry Potter.

I wouldn't say Kritzerland does anything really strange. I think it's just that Bruce is in a position to pursue and release scores that he really enjoys and wats to see out there, and he will occasionally look into a title based on demand or tip for a customer. Really I think it's great that he can get a lot of obscure material out there, and the occasional big title like the Rózsa he put out a year or so ago.

The only Kritzerland titles I have are his three Goldsmiths (Poltergeist 2, Alien Nation and Breakheart Pass), Gorky Park (which was made useless by the superior Intrada reissue) and Missouri Breaks. I wish another label had gotten all those so they'd actually have liner notes....

• 2 months later...

well, with the reissue of Long Goodbye, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything new about an upcoming Williams release this year besides A.I. of course and SW.

(i'm sorry I'm greedy)

Out of all the labels, LLL is the only one that does the Black Friday thing, and their Williams title comes out in 15 days

I predict a few will come out on various labels with no prior warning

That is a prior warning. Does that mean they won't come out?

:lol:

LLL has definitely has some new William/Spielbergs projects in store for us in the near future- I dont know if all of them will materialise this year. But AI will be enough to enjoy in the interim period. I'm still ravishing over their majestic EMPIRE OF THE SUN. Maybe Intrada could surprise us with a definitive JAWS issue-Im speculating of course.. :sarcasm:

As I see the hype around the new JP score, I think this would be the best year to release a complete Jurassic Park.

They would sell like crazy!

But of course we won't have a release..

Universal simply doesn't seem interested in licensing out their "big" scores to our beloved specialty labels. They handled Jurassic Park themselves in 2013 and botched that.

It was indeed very, very nice of Universal to release the extra music, and cool of John Williams to arrange the extra cue into suites that actually sound nice.

BUT I STILL WANT A COMPLETE AND CHRONOLOGICAL RELEASE ON PHYSICAL CD!

It is Jurassic Park we're talking about!!! Don't tell him TO CALM DOWN!

I listened to an expanded edit of this soundtrack the other day, and the amount of tracked, repeated music annoyed me.

Don't listen to the film edit version then!

• 1 month later...

I have it on good authority that there will be at least one more Williams release in the fourth quarter this year, likely from Disney Records or one of its subsidiaries.

We have A.I. now. Do we really need any other Williams score in expanded form?

I didn't mention anything about an expansion! ;)

A totally unreleased score would do me just perfectly!

(and I'm sure Thor would be happy too)

Reissues of OOP cds would be also good so that I can finally buy The Towering Inferno and Earthquake.

And the Reivers, and Eiger Sanction.

We have A.I. now. Do we really need any other Williams score in expanded form?

No. But there's a whole BUNCH of unreleased scores out there. What would be awesome is if a label talked about if they had investigated the possibility of such releases -- missing tapes, troublesome rights etc. That's the frustrating thing about being a 'regular fan'. You're on the outside and desperately want your unreleased gems to be released, frustrated at the labels for not giving it any attention, while the reality may be they actually HAVE tried.