Thomas Newman's SPECTRE

Sharkissimo

From what i've collected from Bond movies musically, it's 80% non-action (Barry never wrote action anyway...at least not until he added a drumkit in TLD). The kind of up-scale, mock-dramatic stuff i connect with Bond is sadly hardly done right nowadays though in SKFALL the Komodo dragon sequence and the one sequence with the yacht somehow came close.

I think Desplat got the tone somewhat right in LARGO WINCH.

You thought the choir was predictable? I could never have predicted that!

True. No one uses choir nowadays.

Indeed, it's inspiringly inspired and unpredictable.

You guys are right. It's a brilliant piece of film music.

Bond hasn't since 2002.

We'll see when we hear it in the film, amid the gunshots, screeching tires, V8 engines and flamethrowers.

Why the frankly cringey and off-putting need to have everyone agree? Can't we all like different things?

Have the track TIMES been posted here yet?

01 Los Muertos Vivos Estan (2:48)
02 Vauxhall Bridge (2:19)
03 The Eternal City (4:34)
04 Donna Lucia (2:03)
05 A Place Without Mercy (1:04)
06 Backfire (4:54)
07 Crows Klinik (1:41)
08 The Pale King (2:55)
09 Madeleine (2:58)
10 Kite In A Hurricane (2:09)
11 Snow Plane (5:24)
12 L' Americain (1:42)
13 Secret Room (5:22)
14 Hinx (1:21)
15 Writing's On The Wall (Instrumental) (2:10)
16 Silver Wraith (2:15)
17 A Reunion (5:36)
18 Day Of The Dead (1:26)
19 Tempus Fugit (1:21)
20 Safe House (3:55)
21 Blindfold (1:28)
22 Careless (4:39)
23 Detonation (3:53)
24 Westminster Bridge (4:14)
25 Out Of Bullets (1:51)79
26 Spectre (5:40)
Total time: 79:45
That's a long OST CD!
Also why is the theme song in the middle of the album?

Awesome, I've been looking forward to this since the two tracks. The era of including the song on the soundtrack seems well and truly over. In this case, I'm very thankful they've put an instrumental version.

Wonder if it will appears on Spotify at midnight... hmm. If not, it'll be my Friday morning listening.

Samples sound good too.

Nice samples (listened on my phone), but the number of callbacks to less interesting passages from Skyfall is a little disappointing. I was also hoping for more classic Newman brass chorales as in M's theme or Tennyson, or nice crunchy minor/major dissonances as in this terrific cue.

Nice samples (listened on my phone), but the number of callbacks to less interesting passages from Skyfall is a little disappointing. I was also hoping for more classic Newman brass chorales as in M's theme or Tennyson, or nice crunchy minor/major dissonances as in this terrific cue.

I miss Michael Kamen... :(

I miss Michael Kamen... :(

I miss David Arnold.

The idea of both a Bond movie and a sequel to ID4 being released within a year of each other and both without an Arnold score is depressing.

Listened to it. Album is overlong (who needs cues like 'A Reunion' and 'Out of Bullets', raise your arms) and by the bubbly swing of it all you can deduce that the movie seems to be much more about superficial spy chases and suspense and has left any aspirations to character depth at SKYFALL's door.

The action (and there's a lot of it) sounds like JNH (SALT) on steroids. It's not bad but not all that great, either. Nothing to do with Newman but rather the empty spectacle he's serving.

Given his lack of film projects over the years, I'm guessing most have caught on that Arnold isn't anything special. And yet, most in Bond forums seem to think he's the heir of John Barry or something.

I think it's difficult to think of this score as a "Bond" score for the most part, but in a good way. It's Thomas Newman through and through and his sounds are so distinctive in the world of film music today.

If I had to pick a favourite track, it might be Donna Lucia even though that was already released. There's this old-world charm to it, maybe some ethereal quality with a Newman touch.

Either way, I'll probably enjoy the score after seeing the film as is a given anytime I get the score first.

Amusing review for this CD I just saw on Facebook

the spectre cd is in my veiw same as skyfall not much good and hardley any bond theme same old same old from newman and no sam smith song bring back john barry THE LEGEND

:P

He's solid and his action writing is powerful, with a tight use of electronics. He captured every Bond he worked on better than Newman has so far.

He captured Brosnan's Bond yet not Craig's. Newman's tighter, leaner, less flowery sound fits his performance to a T.

Listened to it. Album is overlong (who needs cues like 'A Reunion' and 'Out of Bullets', raise your arms)

I;d rather have an album that has as much music from the movie as possible, than one that cuts stuff just for an easy listening experience

If huge portions of his score are copied from the last score, then why didn't he assemble a 50 minute album that shows off his new ideas, instead of an 80 minute album that shows off how much is copied?

The final couple of action cues are based off of The Moors from Skyfall, but it isn't just copied, it's placed in a new context I guess, to fit different action on the screen. Might annoy some, but I'm fine with having stuff carried over, it feels like a continuation.

I'm loving Snow Plane.