Composition Feedback (Star Wars Style Music)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice job. Is it supposed to follow the trailer drama on screen or just be more stylistic sci-fi action music? Since you list Star Wars, there would of course be stylistic expectations that I don't know if your music follows. This does NOT mean it doesn't work musically - You have very good sci-fi action music, just not Star Wars. Since you are looking for feedback here are some:

1. Nice mockup and well produced.

2. Could use a bit more contrast and variety in key, tempo, time signature, orchestration, etc. Seems pretty consistent throughout. You do have a modulation and chorus at 1:20 but 17 seconds later back to the original. Though good, it makes the piece feel longer than it is because there isn't enough variety. Take a listen to this:

Yes, yes, I know it's an oldie but a few points...incredible variety of material, orchestration, energy ebbs and flows, tempo changes, drama deepens, characters emerge...it has a climax that it builds towards, etc...every few bars something changes. I don't just mean the accompaniment suddenly gets a new instrument added but I think of it sort of like a basketball game in that whoever is the one running with the ball has switched and this keeps things moving forward...a great sense of momentum. Yes, this style is not done these days so much but there is a thing or two to take away from it.

You can think of this contrast topic as a need for more characters. Like in a typical sci-fi action movie you'll have a hero and a villain. Might have the wise sage, maybe the damsel, etc. In this music it seems like there might be one character so if you introduce more contrast you can engage a listener more and also be more true to the style. By the way, if what you are going for is a loop or library music, the variety might NOT be what is wanted so I am talking more musically than for a specific medium.

Overall very nice so don't fret my nitpicks.

Very nice job. Is it supposed to follow the trailer drama on screen or just be more stylistic sci-fi action music? Since you list Star Wars, there would of course be stylistic expectations that I don't know if your music follows. This does NOT mean it doesn't work musically - You have very good sci-fi action music, just not Star Wars. Since you are looking for feedback here are some:

1. Nice mockup and well produced.

2. Could use a bit more contrast and variety in key, tempo, time signature, orchestration, etc. Seems pretty consistent throughout. You do have a modulation and chorus at 1:20 but 17 seconds later back to the original. Though good, it makes the piece feel longer than it is because there isn't enough variety. Take a listen to this:

Yes, yes, I know it's an oldie but a few points...incredible variety of material, orchestration, energy ebbs and flows, tempo changes, drama deepens, characters emerge...it has a climax that it builds towards, etc...every few bars something changes. I don't just mean the accompaniment suddenly gets a new instrument added but I think of it sort of like a basketball game in that whoever is the one running with the ball has switched and this keeps things moving forward...a great sense of momentum. Yes, this style is not done these days so much but there is a thing or two to take away from it.

You can think of this contrast topic as a need for more characters. Like in a typical sci-fi action movie you'll have a hero and a villain. Might have the wise sage, maybe the damsel, etc. In this music it seems like there might be one character so if you introduce more contrast you can engage a listener more and also be more true to the style. By the way, if what you are going for is a loop or library music, the variety might NOT be what is wanted so I am talking more musically than for a specific medium.

Overall very nice so don't fret my nitpicks.

Thank you for listening and your detailed feedback. Much appreciated.

I did aim for Star Wars, but I see what you mean about it pacing.

Thanks again.