New Lucasfilm / Star Wars Intro Fanfare (Fox Fanfare Replacement)

Saxman717

With the new Star Wars digital release has come a new intro fanfare for Lucasfilm, to replace the legacy Fox fanfare. Here it is:

I had just finished listening to the End Credits of the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack right before listening to this. That ending was absolutely my favorite Star Wars ending out of all 6 films and is one of my favorite musical moments of all time. They begin this fanfare with that ending, and it really throws me for a loop (in a bad way).

My gut reaction to this new intro arrangement is:

1) Doesn't sound like an intro, since the entire sequence is a hodge-podge of Star Wars end credits endings.

2) Cheapens the brilliant ending of ESB by making this the beginning of every Lucasfilm film, past and present, from this point onward.

3) Sounds like an extremely amateur edit, and almost as cringe-worthy as Kevin Kiner's intro music for The Clone Wars and Rebels.

After listening to it about 10 times, it grew on me ever so slightly, and I'm sure I will accept it over time, but it begs the question:

Why edit together existing music (and end credits music at that) instead of having your Greatest of All Time composer, John Williams, compose a NEW intro while he is working on the Episode VII soundtrack? It is 15-20 seconds worth of music ---- surely, John could come up with some infinitely better and more appropriate than this in an afternoon of composing.

There's still hope that he actually does do this for Episode VII, but for continuity I expect them to take the easy way out and use this.....*sigh*.......Disney............

Maybe it is only for the Download-Collection and Williams composed a new fanfare for The Force Awakens.

That is now "our only hope"..................

Awefull.

I'm not a musical expert, but I think the two sections seems not to be in the same key, so the collage seems very unatural.

No professional composer could write this.

Obi Wan Kenobi: That's no music…it's a collage.

Han: It's too big to be a collage.
Luke: I have a very bad feeling about this.

I'm not a musical expert, but I think the two sections are not in the same key, so the collage seems very unatural.

No professional composer could write this.

There's only recently been a discussion about the ending of the REVENGE OF THE SITH Finale cue and the beginning of the End Credits cue not being written in the same key, really ;).

I'm sure SW7 wont have this because it will actually have the Disney Logo in front.

So either they will go with whatever logo music they have now, or do a custom made one, hopefully composed newly by JW.

They could have the first cue already beginning over the logos as well, but I'm not sure whether Disney has done this recently.

This sounds like a mess. Hopefully just a placeholder until Williams gets in the studio for a new fanfare (or at least something that isn't created editorially)

I'm sure SW7 wont have this because it will actually have the Disney Logo in front.

There hasn't been a Disney logo in front of Marvel movies, so I doubt that will be the case.

With the new Star Wars digital release has come a new intro fanfare for Lucasfilm, to replace the legacy Fox fanfare. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSuCxqBBqk

I had just finished listening to the End Credits of the Empire Strikes Back soundtrack right before listening to this. That ending was absolutely my favorite Star Wars ending out of all 6 films and is one of my favorite musical moments of all time. They begin this fanfare with that ending, and it really throws me for a loop (in a bad way).

My gut reaction to this new intro arrangement is:

1) Doesn't sound like an intro, since the entire sequence is a hodge-podge of Star Wars end credits endings.

2) Cheapens the brilliant ending of ESB by making this the beginning of every Lucasfilm film, past and present, from this point onward.

3) Sounds like an extremely amateur edit, and almost as cringe-worthy as Kevin Kiner's intro music for The Clone Wars and Rebels.

After listening to it about 10 times, it grew on me ever so slightly, and I'm sure I will accept it over time, but it begs the question:

Why edit together existing music (and end credits music at that) instead of having your Greatest of All Time composer, John Williams, compose a NEW intro while he is working on the Episode VII soundtrack? It is 15-20 seconds worth of music ---- surely, John could come up with some infinitely better and more appropriate than this in an afternoon of composing.

There's still hope that he actually does do this for Episode VII, but for continuity I expect them to take the easy way out and use this.....*sigh*.......Disney............

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23404&p=1111978:P

I think it's pretty neat, but I don't understand why they felt they had a need to do this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well they had to "fix it" because the previous version of the movies had the 20th Century Fox logo playing over the Lucasfilm logo...and 20th Century Fox is out of the picture on 5/6 of the movies ;)

They could not start the Lucasfilm logo without any audio?

Sure they could, but probably someone felt it needed to have some kind of Star Wars-y music going with it.

I'm quite confident JW will compose the official LFL logo music for EpVII.

By the time you are starting to watch the movie, Disney already has your money, so I don't see what removing the 20th Century Fox logo accomplishes.

HOWEVER

If they did want/need to remove the Fox Logo, I'm fine with the films opening straight into the Lucasfilm logo.

BUT, instead of a very poorly done edit of the TESB end credits, a new fanfare should have been commissioned. This is really amateur hour here.....

What... do you possibly like about it?

I could make a better 10 second version of TESB end credits music myself, and I'm not a professional music editor!

By the time you are starting to watch the movie, Disney already has your money, so I don't see what removing the 20th Century Fox logo accomplishes.

Any corporation is very adamant when it comes to trademark and logo usage tied to their properties. It's part of their assets.

It's not that strange they're putting all their assets in line with the new ownership.

They could have the first cue already beginning over the logos as well, but I'm not sure whether Disney has done this recently.

Since the first cue in every SW-movie has been the main theme, I really doubt this.

It's a guarantee that there will be silence during "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", and then the same blast into the main title after that as STAR WARS appears on the screen.

The question is what will play under the Lucasfilm logo that precedes all thats, and if there will also be a Disney logo before the Lucasfilm logo or not. I'd wager their won't be, since Disney bought Marvel in a similar way to how they bought Lucasfilm and doesn't put the Disney logo in front of the Marvel logo on those films.

Since the first cue in every SW-movie has been the main theme, I really doubt this.

I completely agree - what was I thinking?

They could not start the Lucasfilm logo without any audio?

A fanfare-silence-sw main title it's iconic on its own.

About the disney logo... the new novels have disney and lucasfilm in the back covers.

Why couldn't they just had Williams write a short fanfare and record it when they did the teaser? Surely this digital collection has been in the works since last year. I'm assuming (and hoping) TFA will have something different (and better).

Ok, I'm the only one who kinda likes it. Great.

No, I like it too.

I like the music, too, but it just doesn't work here with the edit and as an introduction.

That is the most annoying part - Disney bought Lucasfilm 30 months ago, and in all that time this is the best edit they came up with to replace the Lucasfilm logo music on the films?

I have to imagine that John Williams will compose a Lucasfilm Fanfare for Episode 7, and that will retroactively be added to these digital releases once it's recorded.

Does the Disney logo appear on any of the recent Marvel Comics?

It's on the title crawl/credits page in every issue, next to the Lucasfilm logo.

The non Star Wars Marvel comics I mean.....

I don't have a lot, so this may not be representative of the group as a whole, but I just downloaded a 2013 Daredevil comic from my collection and there is no mention of Disney - not in the credits, or in the copyright information.