A Guide To Hans Zimmer's Interstellar

Dixon Hill

On 4/15/2015 at 4:37 PM, Richard Penna said:

Track 1, 4 and 16. Isn't the opening of these essentially the same effects/chords? I don't remember it being like that in the film.

Track 4 isn't in the film, track 4 is "Day One", his original demo for Nolan (well, a re-recorded version of that demo)

On 4/15/2015 at 4:42 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Oh on the original album, you mean. Track 4 is a "suite" but includes the opening cue as heard in the film - track 1 is more of an album edit, at least as far as the ambient sounds are concerned. 16 is exactly as it is in the film.

Yea, Track 1 on the OST is the first film cue with ambience added to the beginning of it to open up the album "experience" I guess

Yup. The OST version of Stay has a much longer opening compared to its film/FYC site counterpart.

The one time that Zimmer hasn't bragged about collaborating with someone, or using a drum circle, and the music is actually interesting.

Probably a stupid question, but did anyone help him with this? (I don't own the physical album yet, so I can't read any liners)

Really? Wow.

He really needs to stop collaborating if he can do this on his own.

It strikes me that he tends to give the projects that are less interesting to him largely to his minions - Pirates 4, The Lone Ranger. I just wish he'd let someone else score them if he can't be bothered to do the whole thing.

It's never a question of him letting them score things on their own, but of the director/producer/studio's willingness to allow that. If he wants to give, these days, Mazzaro and Kawczynski good opportunities, it's gotta be alongside his name, or no one is gonna go for it.

It's rather sad that his name is so powerful that producers/directors/studios want him overseeing a score just so they can put his name on a CD.

At least Zanelli is doing Pirates 5 on his own. Based on comments on his website, he seems to actually have enjoyed his work on the franchise.

It's not all that sad for the many composers who have and will benefit from the exposure.

This.

JP, followed by AI.

What can been said about CE3K that hasn't already in 38 years.

Well, there is new stuff to be said, but not on the thematic material. It's a bit too abstract for this kind of macroanalysis.

Oh yeah, I should say that it would be far more intensely analytical of the actual music. I kind of want to try breaking out some of the old theoretical artillery.

Oh yeah, I should say that it would be far more intensely analytical of the actual music. I kind of want to try breaking out some of the old theoretical artillery.

Give us a full theoretical artillery bombardment on JP or A.I.! Close Encounters would not be out of the question. I am sure much of these theoretical brass tacks would fly over my head but I am sure there would be much to enjoy. :)

And nice analysis here. I might try the score again with this as my guide.

Set theory or death. ;)

BTW, what are you using? Pen or pencil? 2B, 4B, 2H?

Excellent analysis on this, Grey. I haven't had a chance to go over every detail with the score on track, but I intend to do that very soon. (I love having resources like this to do it with.)

No built in eraser? Just how confident do you think I am?

Great analysis, you really put a lot of effort into this :)

The effort is in typing it up really. The rest is pleasurable, doesn't feel like effort at all.

Glad folks are finding it worthwhile.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

I didn't find any better thread for my queation.

I just played Mahler's 10th symphony and there were few places that reminds me Hans' Interstellar.

That theme when Cooper is leaving his family( repetative sevent, C - Bb) and that theme repeats in space when Cooper is leaving Hathaway(and after that is btw the highligh of the score).

Anyone else noticed this? Mahler's 10th is't very familiar for the most though.

Yeah point it out somewhere. I know Mahler well, but with the 10th I don't know any of the extensions or completed versions, and I don't recall anything similar in the original first movement.

Hans' Interstellar is a strong score.(Mahler's 10 not my fav)

Surely in Mahler's top 10 symphonies. ;)

Are you drunk?

That's the only logical explanation.

Isn't that the usual explanation?

Or is Pasi really into Hansu's Interstellan?

They weren't sound clips but written notation of the themes. I'm not sure what happened to them. I'll see about putting them back on imgur.

As for the Mahler explanation, I'll have to check it out. Like I said I've never really cared to hear any of the various "completions" of the symphony so I only know the first movement.

They weren't sound clips but written notation of the themes. I'm not sure what happened to them. I'll see about putting them back on imgur.

As for the Mahler explanation, I'll have to check it out. Like I said I've never really cared to hear any of the various "completions" of the symphony so I only know the first movement.

OK. As I can't read notation, I was curious if there was some sort of link to passages that we could listen to. I'm also asking because a colleague of mine has done a MASSIVE analysis of the film, and might want to reference your post in his upcoming English translation/revision.

http://youtu.be/VBGBNYxYvGM

4:50 --->

I'm sure there is a better place that cannot find now. Mayby I was drunk again.

Definitely reminiscent, especially the earlier flute solo. The ghosts of Mahler and Wagner and even Strauss are all over this one, besides the more modern minimalist stuff. And let's not forget this, which Pub may or may not have inadvertently convinced much of the internet was used in the IMAX trailer from last September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEijXHFY1w

I've added the photos back but I think Youtube examples would clutter the post too much.

What about Youtube hyperlinks?

Maybe what I'll do is add a link to the "suite" for each theme or a cue where it's used prominently.