Star Wars: Battlefront (2015 reboot)

Luke Skywalker

Sweet jesus, that looks incredible ! :w00t:

Can I just say that there are now three Star Wars related products to look forward to this year.

While we're at it, "game engine footage" of the just unveiled Battlefield Star Wars game:

https://youtu.be/ZwWLns7-xN8

Sure ... :blink:

I don't really know what the current standards are, but that looks quite impracticable.

Not sure what you mean by impracticable, but games have been announced like this for more than a decade now... Using the game engine to show the most awesome bits in flashy edited trailers. Problem is that it not always looks quite the same when the gameplay is revealed.

Be that as it may, it looks to be the most stunning interactive SW experience to date.

The most important things to me were confirmed today - you CAN play in third person, which is what I was hoping for. We'll get dogfighting again, all atmospheric. And it looks that there may more or less be a single player conquest type mode. I'm excited!

That doesn't bother me really. It's been ten years since the last game, I'm okay with revisiting planets and battles.

I'm very leery about shooters these days, I feel like they've gotten too complex for me. I was great at the original Battlefronts and they were a lot of fun for me, but I really struggle in modern shooters. I'm hoping at the least the option to go 3rd person again will help make it fun for me like the old ones, because I can't stand 1st person.

I'm very leery about shooters these days, I feel like they've gotten too complex for me. I was great at the original Battlefronts and they were a lot of fun for me, but I really struggle in modern shooters. I'm hoping at the least the option to go 3rd person again will help make it fun for me like the old ones, because I can't stand 1st person.

17 years on, and Quake III still has the best first person shooter mechanics!

Sullust is in too (the only Battlefront to include a Sullust map was Renegade Squadron) and Jakku (as DLC) and no doubt some other maps will be included.

Damn that makes me feel old.

I'm hoping at the least the option to go 3rd person again will help make it fun for me like the old ones, because I can't stand 1st person.

Same here. 1st person shooters just give me eye strain. At least 3rd persons create a sense of peripheral vision.

Grew up with the first two, and I'll definitely be getting this (ablate on PC this time). Looks amazing.

More John Williams wannabe crap if you ask me!

Just another day and another dumb comment from Grey. Give that style a try hotshot.

Just another day and more missed sarcasm from karelm. Coupled with an insult, no less! Wonderful.

More John Williams wannabe crap if you ask me!

Just another day and another dumb comment from Grey. Give that style a try hotshot.

Just another day and more missed sarcasm from karelm. Coupled with an insult, no less! Wonderful.

Yeah, my bad if I took this differently than intended. The sarcasm was missed. Your dry sarcasm can offend and it did in this case.

That score (the first one anyway, don't remember the second one much) is by Jeremy Soule, a composer I've not been very shy about endorsing here.

He's actually, I think, the composer who has most successfully followed the JW model, while retaining his own unmistakable musical voice and integrity. Even if he doesn't sound like Williams, he sounds like Williams. If there must be an "heir to the Williams throne," and some people seem to insist that someone be crowned, then he's the only choice in my mind.

Love this cue.

Though I will say that he, like everyone else, apparently, is incapable of quoting the Force theme correctly.

I was hoping the trailer would show some actual gameplay. They will undoubtedly show some at E3 in June, however. I was initially upset when I read that there would be no space dogfighting in this game, but then again space dogfights in video games are never very satisfying from my experience. The lack of a horizon somehow takes away a sense of physical transference between my brain and the game world. This is a good time for us fans of Star Wars, Star Trek and good sci-fi in general. The Sci-Fi Channel, ahem, SyFy has recommitted itself to good, serious science fiction instead of creature feature type nonsense. Both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises appear to be in good hands with JJ Abrams at the helm, even though in a way I feel like that is too much power for one man. I'm not sure how I feel about Alexandre Desplat scoring the next Star Wars feature Rogue One. I think Michael Giacchino deserves a chance to score a Star Wars movie. He has paid his dues in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong ! Play Halo (and sequels) and then we'll talk. :P

As for who should do the score, I'm hoping it's the same team of guys behind The Old Republic (Mark Griskey, Gordy Haab, Wilbert Roget II, Jesse Harlin and Lennie Moore). Or Gordy Haab & Kyle Newmaster who did Kinect Star Wars.

In any case I want it to sound like old-school SW music. The Battle of Hoth should be in there, or at least referenced a lot.

Quake is obviously purity but in terms of sheer sophistication and tactile response it has been surpassed many times by the slick modern shooter. For me it was first Bungie, then Infinity Ward and finally DICE who mastered first person shooter control. I never thought I'd see Halo bettered for its precision and feedback in the palms, but Destiny took the same mechanics and built them up into FPS control perfection.

Previous games don't use entirely original score, pulling from all six films. So I would expect there to be some of John Williams' material in the game, alongside any new material. Either way, I look forward to more Griskey.

Re-arrangements of williams battle music for their respectible battle levels should be done.

Wait, no ground to space battles? (player on foot, gets starfighter on ground, goes up to space battle)

They should never have cancelled battlefront III :(

Battlefront III was cursed. Every developer that touched it crashed in some way. The only one who had any success with it was Rebellion Developments, and that was only because they were working on the mobile game and when the console version was cancelled they renamed it.

That score (the first one anyway, don't remember the second one much) is by Jeremy Soule, a composer I've not been very shy about endorsing here.

He's actually, I think, the composer who has most successfully followed the JW model, while retaining his own unmistakable musical voice and integrity. Even if he doesn't sound like Williams, he sounds like Williams. If there must be an "heir to the Williams throne," and some people seem to insist that someone be crowned, then he's the only choice in my mind.

I don't think Soule sounds like or like Williams in any sense, but he still writes compelling music. The only real similarity is they both use an orchestra and synths.

I'm pretty pumped about this game. I've wanted another Battlefront for a long time and this is delivering that. I do wish they were bringing back space battles but there is going to be air vehicle based gameplay so I'm excited for that. This will basically be Battlefield Star Wars edition with all the scale that goes along with that. I'm absolutely down for a full scale Battle of Hoth wherein I can pilot an AT-AT and a snowspeeder.

I would've like Battlefront II more if in the space battles:

• There were more command ships
  • Each one had a proper interior you could run around (lifts, generators, hyperdrive, tractor beam, ion canons, canteens, barracks and a bridge)
  • When at the bridge you could take command of the ship, crash into other ships or jump to lightspeed

Would've been way too demanding for BFII's engine, but one can dream....

I thought Battlefront II's controls were too floaty and contributed to the overall chaos of the gameplay that turned me off. Also, piloting vehicles in those games was completely atrocious.

I would've like Battlefront II more if in the space battles:

• There were more command ships
  • Each one had a proper interior you could run around (lifts, generators, hyperdrive, tractor beam, ion canons, canteens, barracks and a bridge)
  • When at the bridge you could take command of the ship, crash into other ships or jump to lightspeed
Would've been way too demanding for BFII's engine, but one can dream....

More ships and bigger interiors are doable (and I believe have been done through the mod tools). Taking command... Not so much. But I'll add to that list: the ability to destroy enemy capital ships. If they all go, you have victory.

Your opinion is wrong ! Play Halo (and sequels) and then we'll talk.

Not at all! I consider the FPS mechanics/feel of Halo to be part of the Quake 3 family tree! (Just slowed down and with more refinement to make it more playable on console controllers).

I thought Battlefront II's controls were too floaty and contributed to the overall chaos of the gameplay that turned me off. Also, piloting vehicles in those games was completely atrocious.

This was one of the games that used a counterintuitive axis thingy wasn't it? Drove me nuts.

It's something I've done since the Jedi Knight games, which I played after TIE Fighter. For some reason, I also remember playing an FPS in which I couldn't change the y axis or just didn't think to, so I learned it that way. Suffice it to say, it's the first thing I change on any first or third person game, and for me, playing with two sticks on a gamepad is pretty difficult to do with any grace.

Ditto. I always play with axis flipped.

I never thought about it, but it is probably because I grew up playing all the X wing and TIE Fighter games with a real joystick.