A John Williams Celebration - LA Phil on DVD & Blu-ray June 30 (Soundings premiere release)

Lewya

• 3 weeks later...

French/German TV channel Arte aired the concert today and it's now available online, but only in France and Germany:

http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/054756-000/john-williams-across-the-stars

http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/054756-000/john-williams-gala-aus-der-walt-disney-concert-hall

The broadcast does include The Adventure Contiues from Tintin as well as the interview and lasts for 100 minutes, so I suppose the BluRay will include The adventure continues despite not being listed in the back cover.

"Soundings" is also included, which wasn't in the Norwegian broadcast (but is listed for inclusion on the Blu-ray/DVD).

What a great concert and brilliant sound quality. Finally, a complete Soundings recording!

I was able to download the complete video stream from arte using the handy tool 'MediathekView 9' (film number 27732).

However, the Blu-Ray Disc is still on the buy-list.

French/German TV channel Arte aired the concert today. It will be available online for one week, but only in France and Germany:

http://www.arte.tv/guide/fr/054756-000/john-williams-across-the-stars

http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/054756-000/john-williams-gala-aus-der-walt-disney-concert-hall

Correction: according to Arte, the video is available until August 24, 2015 at 11:59 PM.

That was fantastic! Soundings was amazing, Tintin and Catch me if you can were both great also, Amistad gave me chills, and loved that little joke Williams made before taking the baton! Don't know exactly what the joke was, but he seemed so energetic and excited it was contagious. And that little "wand wave" before the Imperial March was awesome, like he was saying "All right boys, let's show em how it's done!"

Brilliant all around.

Blu-Ray ordered!

This will be my first John Williams "video".

I Hope C Major Entertainment will issue more!

Really digging the extended contrabass solo in Catch Me If You Can!

So that is considered a "new" insert, by Williams for this concert?

Or was it around anywhere before?

Might be an improvisation I think.

I am not sure if Williams would allow an improvisation by a performer, without having written it..

I am not sure if Williams would allow an improvisation by a performer, without having written it..

Yeah goes against the jazzy spirit of the piece.

I just meant that even the "improvisatory" sounding passages in Catch me if you Can, were written note for note.

I just meant that even the "improvisatory" sounding passages in Catch me if you Can, were written note for note.

I know, JW wrote those improvisatory styled solos for the saxophone in the score but perhaps as a special thing for a concert setting they let Mike Valerio do an extended improvised new passage for the ending. Just my guess as it sounds rather improvised to me.

Since this was a tribute concert, it's likely that it was improvised. Willliams is extremely adept at writing music in a way that sounds improvised, but I lean more towards actual improvisation in this case just because of the setting.

I pre-ordered in Canada since few weeks now and the estimate reception date is July 6 - July 13!!!

What's wrong with Amazon.ca??? :angry:

I pre-ordered in Canada since few weeks now and the estimate reception date is July 6 - July 13!!!

First, this is not the first pre-order that Amazon.ca did.

A pre-order is dependent upon date of release. That's their standard, not yours.

At least they have provided you with an exact count of days until you receive your order. It's an interesting number to have, don't you think?

First, this is not the first pre-order that Amazon.ca did.

A pre-order is dependent upon date of release. That's their standard, not yours.

At least they have provided you with an exact count of days until you receive your order. It's an interesting number to have, don't you think?

It's the first time I pre-order something on Amazon, next time, I will buy it in a store, the day it comes out!

So Tintin is definitely missing? What else's missing again?

The only thing listed on the program that wasn't included is Tintin. Can't vouch for the encores.

I've just cancelled my pre-order on Amazon.ca. In the descriptive, they say the Region is B/2.

Is it true?

EDIT : It's written Region A-B-C on the back-cover. Feeeeew. Why Amazon.ca tells their Customer that?

Re-ordered but with a faster shipping option :P

I couldn't wait, so I've watched the show that aired on Arte ?

What a great concert!

I especially loved to see and hear Itzhak Perlman. What a great artist, one of the best of his generation. Yes, he made me cry!

I also loved to see Escapades performed live, it's such a great piece!

And the Encore where John Williams directs... Well, few other tears! ?

I will watch it again when i'll receive the Blu-ray, chapeau!

I wish somebody would do a comprehensive Aznavour discography. I can't say I've ever heard of somebody doing just that.

I wish somebody would do a comprehensive Aznavour discography. I can't say I've ever heard of somebody doing just that.

What do you mean by "comprehensive"? Have you visited my website "Charles Aznavour - Les bons moments"? http://www.goplanete.com/aznavour/

There is also my Wiki version of the Original discography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Aznavour_discography

What's the SW anthology doing there hiding so it almost doesn't stand out. On a Williams fansite this simply will not do...

:P;)

I know, that's the Aznavour box, it's the only place where I can get it out of my cats paws and teeth!

Oh, he is quite safe with the lovely Bach collection. Beautiful timeless music that is.

Oh, he is quite safe with the lovely Bach collection. Beautiful timeless music that is.

My dad would agree with that.

I would love to add a John Williams box there ;-)

...And we need more Blu-Rays of John Williams too!

11206509_1121087177907118_44005825146955

Yea, John Williams has done so many concerts over the last 4 decades, and he's such a well known household name... its pretty ludicrous the first one is finally coming out in 2015

Even Beau Dommage got a box set. I mean, come on!

LOL!

Your right Jay.

Some Blu-Ray and a 4-CD longbox with some live concerts... that would be great!

No one has a friend at Sony here? ;)