A John Williams Celebration - LA Phil on DVD & Blu-ray June 30 (Soundings premiere release)

Lewya

I'm surprised the Boston Pops never did a box set.

Oh this would be a great idea... now that I've almost collected all of them... :sarcasm:

Some of the earlier recordings of the BPO with John Williams have been reissued for digital download by Decca in 2014.

This mean that Decca found that there is a demand for these albums and they are tired of seeing the money of used CD sales pass under their nose.

A boxset is maybe near...

Here's the thread I created to list all the JW & BPO releases:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23625&hl=

Doug Fake from Intrada wrote a little bit about this release

7/5/2015
Offsetting fireworks, BBQ's and other related 4th of July standards, I spent time last night with a brand new Blu-ray celebrating a powerhouse quintet of the peerless Los Angeles Philharmonic, the stunning artistry of conductor Gustavo Dudamel, the virtuoso playing of Itzhak Perlman, that absolutely amazing Walt Disney Concert Hall... and the real reason of the evening: John Williams.
Within seconds of starting the disc, I was in heaven. As Dudamel stepped up to the podium, and the players raised up in position to play, the camera suddenly swooped up towards the balconies to capture the stunning appearance of two amassed rows of U.S. Army herald trumpeters in full regalia, simultaneously launching into the splendid, fortissimo opening bars of "Olympic Fanfare And Theme". That first downbeat was exhilarating! The piece played, the orchestra landed on that final chord with its characteristic "leading tone" and everyone stopped - while the entire hall (and my modest home theater) just reverberated with the sound of major-key splendor. It was magnificent. The orchestra, the players, the hall, the gifts of John Williams all combined. It doesn't get much better.
The 85-minute concert was packed solid with treasures. The premiere of Williams' massive concert work "Soundings", inspired by the Disney Concert Hall itself, Itzhak Perlman bringing tears with "Schindler's List", numerous other highlights... even a few surprises. Yep. A spectacular looking HD video presentation with matching DTS-HD Master Audio in a beautifully-designed slipcase showcasing that incredible hall... a great music lover's fantasy you can experience over and over again at home. This is one Blu-ray you'll want to own.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6738

I got also this one. What a christmas for a true fan. Not so many left here.

In the booklet they mentioned the extra musicians, in the horn section there was Michael Clevenger. Looked Dale for me.

I bet it's a typo on the booklet.

Also the principal cello is Robert deMaine, former principal with the DSO, who recorded the Williams concerto... And Michele Zukovsky, to whom Williams dedicated his Clarinet Concerto.

For anyone in the United States who hasn't purchased the DVD or Blu-ray yet, the concert will be premiering on PBS Great Performances this Friday, July 24th. :)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/dudamel-conducts-john-williams-celebration-la-phil/4038/

You can also buy this DVD/blu-ray to encourage them to produce more these kind of brilliant live concert recordings.

YES WE WANT MORE!!!

I guess I should get this ASAP. With all the A.I. hoobla I somehow forgot.

The concert itself is fantastic. I had never heard the first half of Soundings--the whole piece is breathtaking. the performances throughout are excellent and the mood of the audience is infectious. The only thing I could have done without were some of the visuals during the performance.

The DVD itself is very well produced, with excellent sound quality.

It is a must have for any Williams fan with $25 bucks to spare.

• 1 month later...

The concert itself is fantastic. I had never heard the first half of Soundings--the whole piece is breathtaking. the performances throughout are excellent and the mood of the audience is infectious. The only thing I could have done without were some of the visuals during the performance.

The DVD itself is very well produced, with excellent sound quality.

It is a must have for any Williams fan with $25 bucks to spare.

Just got this today. A wonderful concert with top notch performances.

Here in Spain it's been announced to be performed in cinemas by the end of the year. For example in my hometown, Valencia, it will be shown on December 3th.

Here`s the link: https://www.reservaentradas.com/entrada/valencia/cineslys/concierto-a-john-williams-celebration/203284/?step=1

A very cool notion! If they broadcast opera in movie theaters why not a concert such as this! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Will we every get a full fledged Concert conducted entirely by Williams on Blu Ray someday? This blu ray dvd concert is great none the less but I'd like to see a more comprehensive conducted version of Williams music and conducted by him ofcourse!

Sure. Hopefully JWs appearances recorded with the Boston Pops come available at some point. There must be a ton of televised concerts from them.

Well, the buzz around the new Star Wars and that prize decerned by the AFI could create a 2016 "John Williams year".

Already many reissues have been announced and I suspect more are to come. So there is hope for some blurays.

I'm so surprised that anybody here is in contact with JW's manager or entourage or even with Sony,, to see things that are coming.

• 2 months later...

A quick heads up to anyone in the United Kingdom that this will be screened this afternoon (New Year's Day) on the Sky Arts channel at 14:10.  I didn't realise I had the Sky Arts channel myself but evidently I do, so it's worth checking before you lament your inability to watch this.

Although I have the DVD, it's nice that Joe Public gets the chance to watch it.  What better way to cure a hangover than some John Williams goodness?

• 1 year later...

I've come across this Blu-Ray in my collection and it remembered me that it should really be released on a CD too!!

Unfortunately I don't have a Blu-Ray player on my computer, so I can't encode the audio! :(

I would like to know if somebody succeeded to make an audio file of this concert.

IMG_1949.JPG