RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

I thought I would do these as well:

STAR WARS: THE PHANTOM MENACE

The Podrace

STAR WARS (or STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE)

Binary Sunset Alternate

Hmm, that doesn't work at all. Very ominous on aunt beru and uncle owen? Plus misses with sync points. Great music but very wrong approach to the scene...heavy handed and doesn't fit the drama. Lucas was right to request different music here and I'm glad we have the original idea on record. Are you sure about the timings of these? big triumphant music over dialog and quite suspense after on the pod race?

The Podrace

Binary Sunset Alternate

Hmm, that doesn't work at all. Very ominous on aunt beru and uncle owen? Plus misses with sync points.

Are you sure about the timings of these? big triumphant music over dialog and quite suspense after on the pod race?

#1 I started the cue around where it starts in the film, and tried to sync the English Horn bit with the cut to Beru, and synced the shot of the suns with the music change, the timpani with the cut to Luke (though a bit delayed), and the dissonant ending with the fade to the next morning.

#2 I synced the beginning of the first cue with the Lap indicator light, and the multiple cuts there, I originally started it a bit later, The second cue I also moved back a hair, the third cue is synced like in a video on SW.com.

Of course these are not entirely accurate, but I believe they are pretty close.

I personally think the album for TPM had that segue between Jabba Introduction and Race Begins right. Those brass hits would underscore the revving of the engines as the race countdown begins, and the violins would kick in as Anakin's engines stall.

The Podrace

Binary Sunset Alternate

Hmm, that doesn't work at all. Very ominous on aunt beru and uncle owen? Plus misses with sync points.

Are you sure about the timings of these? big triumphant music over dialog and quite suspense after on the pod race?

#1 I started the cue around where it starts in the film, and tried to sync the English Horn bit with the cut to Beru, and synced the shot of the suns with the music change, the timpani with the cut to Luke (though a bit delayed), and the dissonant ending with the fade to the next morning.

#2 I synced the beginning of the first cue with the Lap indicator light, and the multiple cuts there, I originally started it a bit later, The second cue I also moved back a hair, the third cue is synced like in a video on SW.com.

Of course these are not entirely accurate, but I believe they are pretty close.

I didn't mean it as a criticism - just an observation. Frankly, I think it is very interesting to see missteps on the path towards a classic.

I personally think the album for TPM had that segue between Jabba Introduction and Race Begins right. Those brass hits would underscore the revving of the engines as the race countdown begins, and the violins would kick in as Anakin's engines stall.

I tried syncing it to the film, doesn't work. I think they are in fact two separate cues. I don't think Faleel started it quite right though...

Wow! That was really cool! Everything lines up so perfectly! Williams matches a lot of the on-screen action, like the Jawas popping up, etc... odd he didn't do anything for when R2 gets zapped!

Also very cool!

BTW, your Alderaan video isn't in the main post

Wow! That was really cool! Everything lines up so perfectly! Williams matches a lot of the on-screen action, like the Jawas popping up, etc... odd he didn't do anything for when R2 gets zapped!

I guess JW either felt that the sound of the Jawa jumping out was enough, or just thought the editors could figure it out.

Interesting, although I can see why they dropped the music for "Dianoga", it played better with out the music.

While true, I love how he scored the moments with the little eyeball popping up and Luke falling back into the "water".

Do you plan to restore the music in anything in ROTJ? I'd like to see/hear some of those, such as the original of the Rancor scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

That's really cool - makes the scene feel much more exciting.  It doesn't quite line up though, I wonder if there was a late cut to the scene or something.

Hmm, lines up almost perfectly in my opinion. Probably my favorite TPM cue, by the way! Brings back memories of countless hours of playing the ROTS video game.

Hmmm I dunno, do you think Williams would have written such busy action music for the scene of two aliens talking from 0:17-0:30?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hmmm I dunno, do you think Williams would have written such busy action music for the scene of two aliens talking from 0:17-0:30?

Exactly, the music works great on a macro level but on a second by second basis it isn't quite right and I don't blame the composer...I think these are just examples where the action+tension music is a moment or two late/early towards the end and the amount of effort JW puts into hits makes it feel like the music doesn't match the visuals/drama like a glove.  For example 0:34 Qui Gon drives his saber drives into the door it's completely ignored musically but the music at 0:38 seems more appropriate though doesn't quite fit that scene.  So I mean at a very specific micro level, not overall globally.   If this had been RC wallpaper scoring with drone + rhythm, it wouldn't have mattered much but here it doesn't quite match completely.

29 minutes ago, karelm said:

For example 0:34 Qui Gon drives his saber drives into the door it's completely ignored musically but the music at 0:38 seems more appropriate though doesn't quite fit that scene.

I tried to have it as it is in the film (my editor/laptop was not entirely co-operating however) I used this video of the scene for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbXyd-fK8Q

2 minutes ago, Faleel said:

I tried to have it as it is in the film (my editor/laptop was not entirely co-operating however) I used this video of the scene for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUbXyd-fK8Q

I didn't mean this as a dig. I think JW must have written it for a previous edit and after the sessions they kept editing. 

Im sure that in most cases when it doesnt match it is because the original scored cut was different.

And also, without sfx, dialogue and volume adjustements it may sound more bombastic than it should.

Wow, that's a huge tonal difference to Jar Jar's introduction with the addition of music. 

And I've never heard that 5 second segment of music at 1:07 in The Droid Invasion. Very Hook to my ears (not surprising considering the scores were only written 7 years apart).

12 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Maybe Williams wrote music for a different cut that included more action?

That's what I think.

10 hours ago, Faleel said:

Awesome!

This is out of sync.  The change in music at 0:51 is supposed to match the change in scenery at 0:50, like in the final cut of the film.  So you gotta slow down some footage at any point before that point (or start the music a little earlier) to get it to sync up

Darth Sidious / Tentacles Take 1

Darth Sidious / Tentacles Take 2

Theed Palace Arrival

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The change in music at 0:51 is supposed to match the change in scenery at 0:50, like in the final cut of the film.

Uh, that music was dialed out in the film!

I think Faleel should be awarded with JWFan Thread of the Year prize, for this outstanding and most enjoyable work. It's really a re-discovery, and the cues get a new dimension added when you listen to them along the picture.

Thank you for your dedication!

The Flag Parade (Alternate Take)

High Council Meeting (Insert)

Any comments on the High Council Meeting insert video? I just kinda guess where it would go based on the film cue.

Anakin's Test (Original)

18 hours ago, Faleel said:

Uh, that music was dialed out in the film!

No, the music enters at that scene transition.  UNless its been changed for the blu ray! (Which I haven't seen)

16 hours ago, Faleel said:

Just noticed that the fanfare when the queen's ship lands on tatooine is similar to Kylo ren's theme when his shutte lands on jakku (i think).

10 hours ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

I Am the Senate (Unused portion)

Had to do some guess-work here. Also realized there is a lot of cut footage in this scene!

I think that originally, Anakin didn't arrive after the battle, but watched the whole thing!