RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yeah same here. I didn't even realize it wasn't in the final cue until someone on YouTube pointed it out to me. I haven't heard any sheet music-based fan edits that contain that segment, which leads me to assume it was from an early version.

It's from 0:55 of The Jango Fett Fight @Manakin Skywalker.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Fal said:

It's from 0:55 of The Jango Fett Fight @Manakin Skywalker.

Seriously? I can't believe I didn't notice that. I knew it sounded familiar! I feel like I've failed my fandom. I'll have to hand in my John Williams fan badge on the way out...

I blame my lack of coffee today as the reason for this.

• 4 weeks later...

Vadar Contacts Luke (With Insert)

You will notice if you line up the SE track with the deleted scene, that it doesn't line up, this is due to microedits (6:08-6:12 is crossfaded out in the Blu-ray Deleted Scene) but also due to the fact that there is an insert added in (5:15-5:42). My theory is that the cut we see in the Blu-Ray scene is a shortened cut, and that this insert was written to cover it, but Lucas/Marquand decided to use the original cue cut down.

The Iron Door/To Jabba's Throne

I had a tough time lining these up, Manakin's attempt at this placed "The Iron Door" over the droid sentry stuff and "To Jabba's Throne" over R2 bumping into the Gamorrean, However that didn't sit right with me, for three reasons:

#1 The titles of those cues didn't match the placement, the title "The Iron Door" could have theoretically indicated Threepio and R2 trying to get inside the door, but the title "To Jabba's Throne" didn't really match anything that was going on in that part of his video.

#2  In the 1997 issue of the FSM magazine  Matessino stated that the cues covered the opening of the door and for the reception of the droids by Bib Fortuna.

#3 It seemed odd to me that Williams would score that droid moment with dissonant music, as it seems more of a muted comedic bit, and the big fanfare seemed like it was too dramatic to cover anything other than a scene change.

That definitely sounds right. I don't recall my edit at all, but I think I just kept "The Iron Door" and "To Jabba's Throne" together as they were in the SE rather than separating them. Your edit definitely seems like the correct placement.

Fight in the Dungeon (With Deleted Footage)

This one however was a PAIN! I don't really know if I got it correct, it seems like Williams scored a cut in between the one in the final film, and the one in the Rinzler eBook material.

Wow nice work so far Faleel, keep up the good work!

For the Rancor one, wow, thanks for reminding me, I had totally forgotten the Rinzler book came with those bonuses.  I actually bought all the e-book versions when there was a great sale on them, and never got around to checking the bonuses out!  It is surprising the cut there would be so different than the cut scored, and the Luke/saber scene too.  It's just like the Into The Trap and Jabba's End scenes, just exactly WHAT was the cut Williams wrote them too and will we ever see it?

Anyways, you did a great job editing together the deleted footage and the final footage to really show how the scene was originally supposed to go and how Williams scored it.  Thanks for this!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I actually bought all the e-book versions when there was a great sale on them, and never got around to checking the bonuses out!

Cool, if you check them out, could let me know if there is anything in there I don't have? The guy that gave me the files I have only gave me a selection. (probably the most important stuff, but still)

1 hour ago, Fal said:

Cool, if you check them out, could let me know if there is anything in there I don't have? The guy that gave me the files I have only gave me a selection. (probably the most important stuff, but still)

There's the Ewok Celebration with English lyrics (labeled as "We Got The Power"). As far I remember that's the most interesting, and the only thing music related of the bonus content.

Edit: Star Wars has a short audio clip of Williams talking about the Ben's Death cue. Empire has some clips of what I presume is the spotting session, and some recording session footage. I've definitely seen the Empire clips before in a documentary so they might not be anything new.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, Fal said:

Fight in the Dungeon (With Deleted Footage)

This one however was a PAIN! I don't really know if I got it correct, it seems like Williams scored a cut in between the one in the final film, and the one in the Rinzler eBook material.

Nicely done man. I've got the Star Wars movies on Blu-Ray the I'm not sure if it had the entire original Rancor scene or not for the extended / deleted scenes segment.

The Sarlacc Pit/Jabba's End (Film Version)

Like I said, I probably got carried away and shifted things around way more than I needed to.

And the Original Version:

The Sarlacc Pit/Jabba's End (Original Version)

The Emperor (Original Version)

Enter the Ewok - More Trouble (Original Version)

This has the original version of Vader and Palpatine's conversation, the film and SE uses a insert at 6:30-6:47 to shift the Emperor's Theme earlier and replace part of the eerie quiet  section.

Using the Force

This is my attempt at recreating the original edit, since I had no real info to go on (except that there is footage of R2 in the background free of his bonds long before the Ewoks actually release him), I basically ended up just recutting the scene into a way that seemed to make some kind of sense.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 2:12 PM, Fal said:

Wow! Really puts the tension back into that scene!

I've heard most of this from the video game files, but where did the force-lightning music and the imperial march rendition come from? 

13 hours ago, nefaeryous said:

Wow! Really puts the tension back into that scene!

I've heard most of this from the video game files, but where did the force-lightning music and the imperial march rendition come from? 

SWTOR contains pretty much everything except for the very ending.

• 10 months later...

That was well done. Obviously not an interesting as scenes where large potions of cues got dropped or replaced, but it's still good to showcase smaller tweaks as well. 

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done a video for "Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant"? I couldn't seem to find one in the thread.

I'm very interested to know where especially the electric guitar bits were originally placed

3 minutes ago, nefaeryous said:

Has anyone done a video for "Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant"? I couldn't seem to find one in the thread.

I'm very interested to know where especially the electric guitar bits were originally placed

I think that whole sequence is edited so convolutedly that it'd be impossible to estimate how it was originally cut.

3 hours ago, nefaeryous said:

That music is in the scene, but the electric guitar was dialed out for the film mix.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, The River (Fal) said:

Not by me:

Hey @DavidWCollins Watch my edit of the Asteroid Field that puts the picture back into the original music spotting sync. You’ll flip out. https://vimeo.com/328696041?ref=tw-share 

I just saw this. This is one of my favorite cues from the entire saga. Probably in my top 5 cues in the history of film scores. So, it's a big deal to me.

There's so much I just can't unsee after watching that edit. It works incredibly better, which I never thought possible. Does anybody know any details regarding the original intent for that sequence, and why the original spotting beats may have changed during editing?

My guess is the FX weren't finished, so they may have recorded the cue to a preliminary cut. And the compositing for each shot was so difficult and time consuming they may have dropped some FX shots along the way.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:51 PM, Guest said:

SWTOR contains pretty much everything except for the very ending.

Ohhhhhhhhh. I was wondering where all those clean versions of the music I've never heard before were from. The games were much kinder to ROTS than they were AOTC.

FYI: This would have been placed within the scene where Luke and Obi-Wan are preparing to leave Mos Eisley in the same spot as the Jabba scene in the special edition, just after the alien spy reports spotting them and just before “If the ship’s as fast as he’s boasting, we ought to do well”.