RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

FYI: This would have been placed within the scene where Luke and Obi-Wan are preparing to leave Mos Eisley in the same spot as the Jabba scene in the special edition, just after the alien spy reports spotting them and just before “If the ship’s as fast as he’s boasting, we ought to do well”.

Thnaks for posting that, I have been thinking of doing "extended cuts" of the Saga with restored deleted scenes and music, with new cues where needed for a while.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

FYI: This would have been placed within the scene where Luke and Obi-Wan are preparing to leave Mos Eisley in the same spot as the Jabba scene in the special edition, just after the alien spy reports spotting them and just before “If the ship’s as fast as he’s boasting, we ought to do well”.

Ah, that simple crossfade. Can't say I can easily imagine this at that spot in the cue.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ah, that simple crossfade. Can't say I can easily imagine this at that spot in the cue.

Well, most likely the rest of the cue was at least slightly different

Yeah, he probably didn't just throw out a page and call it a day. Maybe a more extensive mockup could show that wider context ;)

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's surprising that something that was never recorded isn't on an album?

Oh. I thought it was recorded for the film.  

11 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

However, this was removed in the revision 5M6R, which was the only one recorded.

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, he probably didn't just throw out a page and call it a day. Maybe a more extensive mockup could show that wider context ;)

That’s basically what he did, though! There’s an instruction in the “unfilled” full score of the 5M6 revision to make old measure 36 the new measure 25 and copy the rest to the end:

3DEEB2A6-35F3-4C4F-BB34-D1A4049FB9AD.jpeg

Other than an added trombone chord in the first bar after the cut (shown above), everything else stayed exactly the same.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:28 AM, BrotherSound said:

The cue 5M6 Inner City from the original 1977 Star Wars included a section for a brief deleted scene of Darth Vader and an officer walking through the Death Star. However, this was removed in the revision 5M6R, which was the only one recorded.

So, I thought I’d mock it up, especially because as a timpanist, I’m always game to hear more of John Williams’ great soloistic writing for the instrument (Death Star establishing shots borrowed from Rogue One):

Thanks!  That was really cool to see.  That's neat that we got the entirety of that deleted scene, at least we can assume so since its length matches the sheet music you have.

Any chance you'd considering doing an edit of the entire 5M6 original version, with your mockup added to the rest of the cue as recorded as 5M6R, and sync that to the proper footage?  That could be really interesting to see.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:19 PM, BrotherSound said:

So, I’ve added a few seconds before and after the deleted bit to provide better context how it would have fit: 

Ooops didn't see you had already made this, this is great!  I think a full, entire cue version would still be very cool as well :)

On 6/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, BrotherSound said:

That’s basically what he did, though! There’s an instruction in the “unfilled” full score of the 5M6 revision to make old measure 36 the new measure 25 and copy the rest to the end:

Other than an added trombone chord in the first bar after the cut , everything else stayed exactly the same.

I know that.  A video showcasing everything cut together would still be worthwhile IMHO

On 6/27/2020 at 4:19 AM, BrotherSound said:

So, I’ve added a few seconds before and after the deleted bit to provide better context how it would have fit: 

I think this is perfectly satisfactory.

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

@Jay @The River (Fal) dammit you guys are using the same profile image, so I keep getting you both mixed up. I thought Jay was arguing with himself!

We need a new Williams release! ;)

Mine's cropped better

And yes let's hope another wonderful Williams expansion is heading our way soon!

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some tests, I think that the first part of "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" should actually go to when Sebulba first catches up to Anakin, and that little dongle thing is starting to come off his engine, and not during the service ramp scene.

Is that section of the cue even in the sheet music?

IIRC all the music is in the sheet leak, but it's the orchestrated sheets, not the original sketches, so they don't have any information about on-screen action on them.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

IIRC all the music is in the sheet leak, but it's the orchestrated sheets, not the original sketches, so they don't have any information about on-screen action on them.

I have the sheets, but I can't read music well. I just wanted to be 100% sure that that part of the cue was indeed from 4M2.

If that is the case, then I don't imagine it would have scored the service ramp scene, otherwise it would have likely been a separate cue considering both scenes are so far apart.

EDIT: The sheet music states that 4M2 is 2:00, that would line up exactly with the second portion of the cue. The first part on the other hand is approx. 0:45, which is unaccounted for in the sheets.

@The River (Fal) out of curiosity what was your reason for editing that section of the cue to the service ramp scene? Was that just an estimation?

IIRC, the Podrace videos were made prior to the sheets leaking, which have 3m10 (Sebulba sabotage to Jabba), 3m11 The Race Begins (the beginning being used in the film for Anakin's podracer coming apart and the end for Sebulba crashing), and 4m2 Anakin Defeats Sebulba.

1 hour ago, The River (Fal) said:

What section? The Service ramp section is the end of 3m11...

Ah crap, I didn't check the end of 3m11. I was thinking it was part of 4m2 for some reason. Nevermind then, disregard my comments.

This is certainly one of the more confusing cues I've come across in terms of it's placement in the film. There are like 3 different places where it could belong, and sync up to each of them well.

• 4 months later...

I always noticed that Yoda Strikes Back is much shorter than the sequence in the film, so for fun I attempted to edit the footage to the music as accurately to how I think the scene originally was as I possibly could. I guarantee it is probably not very accurate.

Yoda Strikes Back Re-Edit

9 hours ago, Fabulin said:

1M4a has a weird moment of a decrease in volume in the beginning fanfare. Doesn't it sound unnatural to you? I took it to audacity and a simple amplification by +2dB in that moment seems to help a lot.

Then there is that micro-edit about five seconds in, which has proven very easy to remove. Did you add it?

I haven't finished my updated TPM edit yet, this is from my old edit from years before the sheet music even leaked, and the editing isn't on par with how I'd do it now.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the question, which has probably been discussed many times, but why is the Flag Parade ~2 times shorter than the corresponding scene in TPM? The feeling that in the old edit, except for Sebulba and Anakin, no one was "announced", which is strange...

On 3/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, ragoz350 said:

Sorry for the question, which has probably been discussed many times, but why is the Flag Parade ~2 times shorter than the corresponding scene in TPM? The feeling that in the old edit, except for Sebulba and Anakin, no one was "announced", which is strange...

That is the reason. In the theatrical cut (also released on VHS and Laserdisc) only Anakin and Sebulba are introduced. In ~2001 George was able to go back and change a few things for the DVD release, including a longer "flag parade" sequence, longer podrace, and alternate/longer arrival on Coruscant. They also finished up several deleted scenes at the same time for the bonus disc. In the theatrical cut the music fits almost perfectly.

What an incredible resource - thank you! Do you know where one could find the conductor score for these or for any other JW film - I’m looking for scores for individual cues rather than orchestral suites - having a hard time finding them anywhere! 

1 hour ago, Falco said:

Which version of Flag Parade was used? The short version or the long version?

I'll find the theatrical clip and upload it...

Alright I used a 35mm film scan for better quality, hope you guys don't mind Czech audio. :lol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VlKGctVplMVJTleJUPfiHlBoSrlNhau3/view?usp=sharing

There might be a *tiny* difference in speed due to this being a film scan, so you might need to resync the footage or music if doing an isolated score.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Brilliant work, @BrotherSound

Thanks! It's just interesting to try imagine based on the available sources what may have been intended.

9 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Heard in the right context, like this, you can really tell how much Williams knocked it out of the park in TROS when it came to emotionally satisfying, musically coherent long spans of densely thematic underscore. 

And yet, there's so few places left in the film where that's allowed to happen! I had thought this was one of the rare cases that was still fairly close, but there's still about 30 seconds micro-edited out of 2M6 and about 20 seconds from 2M7 versus the OST, which may itself be micro-edited...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow I don't think I noticed or knew before that the Poe's theme in the Old Death Star film/FYC version is the same recording as the later Poe's theme statement during the talk with Finn

I'm glad it's known now where all the tracked music in this scene in the film/FYC came from, I remember we originally thought it was an insert that just didn't get inserted into the OST track!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Have a feeling I previously did a score restore for just this cue's ending, but seeing as almost the entire cue was replaced by tracked music from TFA, this gorgeous track seemed a worthy contender for a score restore.

Patchy guesswork was required in places, but hopefully this gives some idea of Williams' original intentions for the sequence.

Nicely done as usual, @crumbs! Why can’t we have nice things? 😒

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...