RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

8 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Honestly I feel this cut works better... Why George felt the need to rearrange everything at the last minute I have no clue.

To diminish the effects of it.

BTW please please please tell me all of this was recorded! JW must have scored this early cut all the way, George must've watched a "final" cut all scored and everything before deciding to hack it up, we have so much of it, surely he didn't tell JW to stop before he could record the parts we only have mockups of, surely he would've asked for a rescore then instead of hacking and tracking all over, right, RIGHT, RIGHT???

2 hours ago, Holko said:

To diminish the effects of it.

BTW please please please tell me all of this was recorded! JW must have scored this early cut all the way, George must've watched a "final" cut all scored and everything before deciding to hack it up, we have so much of it, surely he didn't tell JW to stop before he could record the parts we only have mockups of, surely he would've asked for a rescore then instead of hacking and tracking all over, right, RIGHT, RIGHT???

Unfortunately nope. The lengths on the cue sheet match up with everything that we already have. :crymore:

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Unfortunately nope. The lengths on the cue sheet match up with everything that we already have. :crymore:

And the cuts are all notated in the score. It's possible (though unlikely) that some of it may have been rehearsed and recorded.

Mike said the tape was running constantly on HP1, capturing every take and all the session chatter, as a backup that went unused in favour of the digital. Maybe if they did the same on TPM...

It's entirely possible that at least some of those were recorded. After all, he did re-record the entirety of the End Credits from the Throne Room Suite which was never used, and the 'original' version of Take To Your Ships (fragments of which can be heard in the video games)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Our only hope lies in the possibility that rehearsal takes were recorded

I'm still holding out hope for the earliest version of The Scavenger from TFA being recorded, given the surplus of sessions that film had.

Wouldn't it be amazing if one day we could hire a private orchestra and record all these abandoned, unrecorded cues?!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if one day we could hire a private orchestra and record all these abandoned, unrecorded cues?!

How different are we from someone like Fitzpatrick? Let's make this happen!

Woah! I thought they had been a success, but when their main URL didn't come up from my google, I just quickly linked to the original indiegogo and went back to what I was doing.  Now I see that their official website:

http://www.99dollarorchestra.com/

Gets blocked by my work's firewall, so they must have completely folded and some hacker bought their URL.  Damn!

On 7/6/2021 at 2:07 PM, BrotherSound said:

So, I've been curious about how the Oracle would have fit into the Mustafar scenes. There's actually two quite different versions of the scene in the novelizations: the Rae Carson novelization has a longer version featuring Hux and Pryde and with more dialog between the Oracle and Kylo, and Kylo wades into the pond the Oracle appears in to find the Wayfinder on some kind of island or platform in the middle.

In the junior novelization, the Oracle talks to Kylo, but he never says a word in return. The Wayfinder is instead in Vader's castle or at least the ruins of it. There's also a confrontation between Kylo and his stormtroopers and the cultists before the battle breaks out.

I'm basing this restoration on the junior novelization version, since it seems to fit better with the unused music. I believe the majority of this music is 1M15 Vader's Castle, though at least some of it is from a cue mysteriously called Ready to be a Jedi! However, I believe a different cue, 1M6 Ren's Entrance, may have scored a longer version similar to the Carson novelization.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H4tkHtAcCdB5-ZPmA57K7wh9-z1f_lNO/view?usp=sharing

Finally watched this.  WOW!  Great work!  As people continue to figure out the mysteries of this score, I love it more and more!

On 7/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

One thought I had is that perhaps instead of the scene ending with the Oracle sinking back under the lake, there could have been a shot/shots of Kylo walking toward the castle instead, before reaching the wayfinder. I'm not sure if it would work, but the ending does look and sound alright:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S4YiEONY-53eK-rrlU3CcdelFtBLGIFz/view?usp=sharing

Ah yes, that does make more sense

EDIT: Also this is pretty far off, just going by what's in the film and on the album, but I noticed that The Nursery fits quite well if the star destroyer shots are removed. I also had to lob off a bit of the beginning, so it's just a wild guess.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k-6cc6s1rJMdWwK8G46_3MTqDD_RhWl1/view?usp=sharing

Works for me!

On 8/2/2021 at 5:13 AM, ragoz350 said:

Now The Rise of Skywalker...

Here is the mockup of the 2M1 Cockpit Dialogue, which was one of the first cues written for the film. It's believed that the cue is an early version of the Falcon Flight, and I thought so too, but judging by the sync hints in the sheets, this is not quite the case.
I, of course, cannot be sure, but it looks like in the early cut (when there were 9 reels) there was some scene with a Poe and Finn's flight BEFORE getting the spy's message and lightspeed skipping. At the same time, Skipping itself, apparently, was cut out at that moment. Then they decided to greatly reduce this scene, but return the chase. Again, this is speculation, but I like this theory.
Anyway, Williams moved some ideas into the Falcon Flight (same tempo, tremolo strings, Heroics theme). At the same time, 2M1 cue seems to have been recorded, since some bits can be heard in the film. In this case, it turns out that the Falcon Flight had 2 versions, and 1 insert, and they were all recorded for the first reel.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fill in a lot of the missing video material, so I just inserted the hints from the sketch. Also, towards the end, some shots don't sync well (in particular, when TIEs arrive).

Also, many thanks to @BrotherSound for breakdown the cues, and their hypothetical chronological order.

Wowzers!  That was super, super interesting.  It's really quite extraordinary how much JJ Abrams just continually and significantly altered the flow of this film throughout the entirety of production and post production.

Also, this cue is great!  These arrangements of Poe's theme and the Resistance March are super cool!

Thanks for continuing to do these, and man is the day alll the sheets leak going to be exciting, let alone the day we finally get proper expansions!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wowzers!  That was super, super interesting.  It's really quite extraordinary how much JJ Abrams just continually and significantly altered the flow of this film throughout the entirety of production and post production.

Also, this cue is great!  These arrangements of Poe's theme and the Resistance March are super cool!

Thanks for continuing to do these, and man is the day alll the sheets leak going to be exciting, let alone the day we finally get proper expansions!

In fact, arrangement of Poe's theme is a quote from the concert version of TFA credits and also used in the 'Escape' sequence in TLJ (I just mockuped it because of the difference in tempo).

It's impossible to say exactly what this cue was intended for (this may actually be an early version of Falcon Flight), but it must be said that some of the sync hints ("Poe Reacts", "Creature Dial.', "Finn - New Key") match very well with the shot lengths. I think that all the scenes from the first half of the film can't be completely restored.

Oh man, this little cue is so fun!  I do agree that in the film itself, it makes more sense to let the scene play unscored.

But what a fun track this will be on an eventual expanded score release!

"leaked" isn't really the right word, as there's been no session leaks for this score.

That bit of music was heard in one of the documentaries on the blu ray

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The Rise of Skywalker again...

This time I tried to "restore" the full cue 1M8 Approaching The Nursey (orig: Approaching The Emperor). In fact, this cue is still partially used in the movie in the right scene, though with a lot of editing. Also, in a very abbreviated form, this cue is present in the second part of the first track of the OST.
The scene has undergone many changes, in particular, the Palpatine's speech has been shortened, and his off-screen lines (in the first half of the scene) doesn't match the sync hints in the JW's sketch. 

Also, it looks like some shots of the fleet in the middle of the scene have been added (in the movie Imperial March from 1M15 Vader's Castle sounds).

The second half of the scene is difficult to reconstruct, since the material was obviously re-shot/re-edited/re-dubbed, so I decided to leave almost only the sync hints (sorry for such kind of "restored" video, but this is a TROS).

Interestingly, the first appearance of the Psalm of the Sith in the unused part of the cue can be found. There is a similar but abbreviated string rendition in the "Join Me". The next rendition (horns and low string tremolos) is in the "Anthem of Evil" (I don’t know what cue it actually is).

I have been really loving your TROS mockups. Just to be clear, 1m9 is an entire 5:45 long, right? There has to be just so much unreleased material that I hope we'll hear before our deaths

That sinister statement of Rey's theme at the end was a surprise!

14 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The Rise of Skywalker again...

This time I tried to "restore" the full cue 1M8 Approaching The Nursey (orig: Approaching The Emperor). In fact, this cue is still partially used in the movie in the right scene, though with a lot of editing. Also, in a very abbreviated form, this cue is present in the second part of the first track of the OST.
The scene has undergone many changes, in particular, the Palpatine's speech has been shortened, and his off-screen lines (in the first half of the scene) doesn't match the sync hints in the JW's sketch. 

Also, it looks like some shots of the fleet in the middle of the scene have been added (in the movie Imperial March from 1M15 Vader's Castle sounds).

The second half of the scene is difficult to reconstruct, since the material was obviously re-shot/re-edited/re-dubbed, so I decided to leave almost only the sync hints (sorry for such kind of "restored" video, but this is a TROS).

Interestingly, the first appearance of the Psalm of the Sith in the unused part of the cue can be found. There is a similar but abbreviated string rendition in the "Join Me". The next rendition (horns and low string tremolos) is in the "Anthem of Evil" (I don’t know what cue it actually is).

Interesting. I know this is a mockup, but was that whole 5 minutes and 45 seconds actually conducted and recorded by the Maestro?

14 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Interesting. I know this is a mockup, but was that whole 5 minutes and 45 seconds actually conducted and recorded by the Maestro?

Most likely. Plus probably some other variations I imagine depending on how often the sequence was changed.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:30 AM, ragoz350 said:

The next rendition (horns and low string tremolos) is in the "Anthem of Evil" (I don’t know what cue it actually is).

Oh, good catch! I’ll update my OST breakdown.

Actually, the spectrogram makes it seem that passage was edited in, so it’s likely to actually be sourced from 1M8. Unusually for a Williams OST track, ‘Anthem of Evil’ seems to contain a lot of short edits of sections of multiple cues and even pitch-shifting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/10/2021 at 10:08 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

The first iteration with the ethereal chorus sound very unusual, almost reminiscent of some of the Jedi council material from TPM (most notably High Council Meeting) but slightly darker/creepier.

In fact, this kind of use of synthes and mixing them with strings sounds a lot like A.I. Many similar textures can be found there. (for example, David and Martin)

Well, and the second version, IMO, would have been perfect for the movie, I don't understand why Abrams rejected it. I recently noticed a funny detail when the tenors go an octave higher when Snoke stands up sharply :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 12:58 AM, Grace Under Pressure said:

Hey, Guys, I updated the main post with all my videos that were buried in the thread, including AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ, and updated/redone versions of cues from the TPM Finale. @ragoz350

Just to let you know, the videos in the main post all appear to be privated.