RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

Nice videos there @BrotherSound!

I'm more convinced by the second video than the first, if only because I can't envisage how that scene originally opened the film, complete with its threatening musical tone.

But then again, the way the sequence is shot (an ominous setting with all the smoke and debris flying around) doesn't match the whimsical/hopeful tone of the music used in the final cut either... what a shambles. :blink:

On 17/11/2021 at 3:12 AM, crumbs said:

I'm more convinced by the second video than the first, if only because I can't envisage how that scene originally opened the film, complete with its threatening musical tone.

Perhaps these timpani hits later evolved into what we know as the beginning of 1m15 Vader's Castle cue (which was also supposed to sound after the Main Credits). Apparently, in both versions of the beginning Abrams wanted the same ominous-mystical mood.
Although the second half, IMO, was meant for other (unknown) shots or taken from a different cue altogether...

UPD: haha, I didn't know, that timpani fragment (from OST Journey To Exegol) was from "Ready To Be a Jedi".

Got another speculative score restore video. Surprisingly, some of the music for Kylo on Mustafar appears (based on work codes from GEMA) to be titled ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’. This is the section from about 0:51–1:42 in the ‘Journey to Exegol’ track.

Based on that title, and what sounds to me like an appearance of the Knights of Ren motif, I’m wondering if this could be an early version of the Kylo/Knights of Ren fight from much later in the film.

All the known cues to feature the redeemed Ben variant of the theme appear to be revisions, so maybe Williams was originally planning to use the Kylo theme for Ben unchanged?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SfqdFFWkxRdQ1xCTxfRbeSMDpFgwaCGA/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh man, I dunno about that.  I think JW put that music in that early OST track because he wrote it for (a different cut of) the opening of the film.

It is surprising that he didn't think to make a redeemed Ben theme to use for that and other scenes until later, as it's amazing and fits those scenes like a glove in teh final film, but I dunno if he would have just used Ren's old theme as-is for this scene in your video

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh man, I dunno about that.  I think JW put that music in that early OST track because he wrote it for (a different cut of) the opening of the film.

Could be, but how would you explain the ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ title? Doesn’t seem to fit that scene at all. Every once in a while he’ll have a title that doesn’t make much obvious sense (‘Rescuing Luke’ from TLJ, for example), but usually not.

Also worth noting that this scene was apparently quite different at one point, without the lightsaber handoff and Kylo fighting the Knights off using only the Force.

Huh.  Interesting.  I dunno, I always thought that music was written for deleted shots of Kylo and the Knights fighting together on the opening planet, before JJ cut almost all of it and just left in a lame slo-mo version

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno, I always thought that music was written for deleted shots of Kylo and the Knights fighting together on the opening planet, before JJ cut almost all of it and just left in a lame slo-mo version

For what it’s worth, there’s already some slow-mo present for the shot from the Mustafar scene used in the teaser, from April 2019:

Also, it’s impossible to unsee this once you know it’s there, but I guess they decided Rey fighting the guards was over too quickly, because they actually repeated the action of her taking out the same four (I think) guards twice, just using the same shots from different angles!

27 minutes ago, Ian Stouffer said:

The Despecialized Edition Blu-Rays contain an Isolated Score option, as do the 4K77 and 4K83 Blu-Rays.

Those are fan edits, with the isolated scores done by people on here (plus they are not 100% accurate). Also, you should never buy fan edits on Blu-ray. Not only is it illegal, but it gives money to crooks and delegitimizes the work of the fans who make these edits. These edits are available for free, and can be found just about anywhere online. I've made a couple edits on the SWT Forums myself, and would be pretty pissed if I found someone trying to sell them or pass them off as legitimate releases.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

For what it’s worth, there’s already some slow-mo present for the shot from the Mustafar scene used in the teaser, from April 2019:

Haha, seeing that made me wonder if the trailer guys did it on their own, then JJ was all "ooh, I like that", and put it in the movie too :lol:

Seriously though, I thought we knew there was deleted fighting scenes shot? Wasn't there something about Hux being there observing? 

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Also, it’s impossible to unsee this once you know it’s there, but I guess they decided Rey fighting the guards was over too quickly, because they actually repeated the action of her taking out the same four (I think) guards twice, just using the same shots from different angles!

Huh. Would you look at that! 

Seeing that again made me fall in love with JW's score there all over again. How could he not consider that good enough for the OST OR FYC!? 

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Could be, but how would you explain the ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ title? Doesn’t seem to fit that scene at all.

Could be that the part the cue scored started or ended with Rey?

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Could be that the part the cue scored started or ended with Rey?

Oh, it’s certainly possible!

What we don’t know about this score could fill a book, and hopefully it will one day. We could definitely use a Star Wars equivalent to the Douglas Adams book for the Lord of the Rings scores, or Jeff Bond’s for Star Trek.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Giftheck said:

Just to let you know, the videos in the main post all appear to be privated.

Strange, they appear to all be set for viewing with a link on my end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2022 at 1:43 AM, ragoz350 said:

After that, Oracle disappears, and Kylo takes the Wayfinder. Interestingly, unlike the new version, there is no Kylo theme or Wayfinder motif here. 
And an abnormally long chord (if the timecode is to be believed) is followed by a transition to 1M7 cue - possibly Journey to Exegol.

This is very cool! Nice work!

Love how that long chord at the end syncs with the distant ship entering the red nebula (or whatever it is). Would the opening of OST Journey to Exogol be in the same key as the ending of this cue? ie, would they overlap nicely?

And does anyone else feel like JJ had a much better film on his hands whenever JW started scoring it, as opposed to what was ultimately released? It seems JW knew exactly what approach to take and what mood the film required, then Abrams panicked and threw the whole thing in a giant blender.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep: the last note of 1M6 is a D, the same as the first note of ‘Journey to Exegol’, which strengthens the case for the opening of the track being 1M7.

Awesome!

I think this score will be revelatory in expanded form someday. Let's hope we're not waiting decades :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The third version of The Scavenger (theoretically there should be a second version (just ALT), but in that case it didn't leak, and JW quickly abandoned it most likely)

Even though it didn't leak in its entirety, the second and third version must be quite similar, because multiple pages of 1M5 Alt 2 are taken directly from 1M5 Alt:

image.png

5 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The first part of the cue was supposed to accompany a longer version of the scene where, apparently, Rey is also looking at a certain mother with a child.

Alan Dean Foster's novelization is pretty useful in providing details for this and other scenes, in that it seems to have been based off a similar cut to what JW scored:

image.png

5 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The Force Awakens.

Made little mockups of two old versions of the 1M6 cue. 

Thanks so much for these! Curious to see what you make of the mysterious 1M8 Breakfast when you get there...

16 hours ago, crypto said:

how much of this prototype material was even recorded?

I'm not sure if these two versions of the 1M6 cue were recorded. The third version (the little horn solo that appears in the film) was written in ~May 2015, and recorded twice: in June and October (combined with the 1M7 Flute Version). It would hardly make sense to record older versions of the cue...

With 1M7 things are a bit trickier: the first version was slightly "fixed" (changing the opening, adding a harp, also adding one missing note in the second phrase of the Rey's theme), and was recorded in that form, probably. Then there was the "Flute Version", which was also recorded and can be heard in the movie (and is in the OST, the end of the track "The Scavenger"). Even later came the 1M8 Breakfast cue, which is essentially a new version of 1M7 cue, but it also seems to accompany the moment when Rey runs into the sound of the droid. It isn't known if it was recorded. 

10 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Even later came the 1M8 Breakfast cue, which is essentially a new version of 1M7 cue, but it also seems to accompany the moment when Rey runs into the sound of the droid. It isn't known if it was recorded.

Odd that it wasn’t numbered 1M7 R, but yeah, I think that’s what it must be, too. And it definitely would lend a very different atmosphere to the scene, much more energetic, less resigned.

• 3 weeks later...

The version in the bonus features seems to trail off into a lonely clarinet (or flute?) section. Is that another alternate, or perhaps a podium change? 

Either way, nice to know this was recorded. 

47 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The version in the bonus features seems to trail off into a lonely clarinet (or flute?) section. Is that another alternate, or perhaps a podium change? 

That section is in there: it's a solo oboe, shortly after the 1:00 mark. There isn't any other alternate (that we currently know of, anyway), apart from a couple inserts, 8M74A and 8M74A v2 "To Ending", which are both just slightly shortened versions of this same "Binary Sunset" ending.

On 04/04/2022 at 12:32 PM, Michael G. said:

I understand why it was not taken. It somehow doesn't have a clear musical line and doesn't form as intensely and organically

On 04/04/2022 at 2:45 PM, May the Force be with You said:

I think the final choice is better although this one gives more mystery to the scene

In general, it's curious that JW was interested in this scene, writing two versions of the cue at once. This is similar to the case in Prisoner of Azkaban, where Remembering Mother (Window to the Past) also had two versions, of which the one with the simpler melody was chosen, which in addition became the leit-theme afterwards.

This alternate version of Steps really doesn't have a mystical tone, but rather is more like A New Home from TROS (particularly the piano/celeste opening) - this more "minimalist" approach is not typical of SW and when combined with the track it works worse a little bit than the original version.

On 04/04/2022 at 7:00 PM, crumbs said:

In fact, in addition to the oboe solo, the score also lists a quiet flute undertone, which should be recorded separately. This flute is missing from the audio from bonus features, but I added it to mockup.

Btw the leaked score has several pencil edits, apparently made from the podium, about the instrumentation, which is unusual.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 4:22 AM, ragoz350 said:

Out of curiosity, how do you get Google Drive videos to show in a player on here? @Jay maybe you can answer this. All of my Drive links just show as, well, links.

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Out of curiosity, how do you get Google Drive videos to show in a player on here? @Jay maybe you can answer this. All of my Drive links just show as, well, links.

You open your video on a separate page, right click, get the embed code, come here, switch to source view in the upper left corner, paste it, correct the dimensions to make it not 4:3. If you do multiple in a post, just copypaste this corrected embed code and switch the links out.

20 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I also change the width value in the code from 480 to 360.

I know that Al Woodbury assisted Herbert Spencer with orchestration on Star Wars in 1977. Were Arthur Morton and Angela Morley also involved? Also did Williams orchestrate anything himself? I'd be interested to know. 

Every cue says "orch Herb Spencer" at the top, except

3M2 New - none listed

4M2 Obi-Wan Kenobi - Arthur Morton

5M1 A Hive of Villainy - Al Woodbury

6M5 (New) The Destruction of Alderon - Al Woodbury

7M1 New Is It A Bird? - Arthur Morton

7M2 The Mouse Robot - Arthur Morton

8M2 (New) More Rescue - Al Woodbury

11M2 Approaching The Target - Arthur Morton

I do not see Alexander Courage and Angela Morley's name anywhere, but it's worth noting that the original handwritten versions of 4 cues still haven't leaked:

Main Title (1M2)

Cantina Band
Cantina Band 2

The Last Battle (12M1)

So we have no idea who orchestrated those cues

Angela Morley has talked about her involvement with the first score, particularly mentioning the final battle (12M1 specifically).

EDIT: Angela Morley about Arranging for John Williams on Star Wars - JOHN WILLIAMS - JOHN WILLIAMS Fan Network (jwfan.com)

Interesting. So Angela Morley did work on Star Wars! I wonder how much orchestrators earn compared to composers. I'm currently trying to figure out which pages I should get printed and bound and in what order so I can have what I've dreamed of for years. Namely the full orchestral score of ANH. There are many revisions contained in the leak. So it's confusing. I went to a print shop recently to be told that just a simple binding and printing of the score in A4 would cost me over £300. By the way does anyone know the dimension of paper used for the original hand written score? Each page looks like a long oblong. 

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if that's why that cue didn't leak with all the others?

Where did those other leaks come from anyway? I remember seeing them in album compilations people made but I don't remember when they leaked out.

We haven't been talking about leaked recordings, we're talking about sheet music

That's how we know who orchestrated each cue in the score, we looked at the sheet music.