RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

I'm referring to the leaked sheet music also. I wonder if Omni Music publishing will ever get around to releasing the Star Wars complete conductors scores. Or would that be a legal nightmare? How the same old atonal crap that no one wants to hear continually gets published whilst film music is ignored is beyond me. I recently went on this website... 

https://www.newworldrecords.org/

It's like a dinosaurs graveyard of Pulitzer prize winning music that hasn't been heard or performed for decades. And it never will be. Music written by composers for other composers. 

I would've thought miniature scores of complete film music soundtracks would sell like hot cakes. I've never understood why there is such a gigantic gap in the music publishing market. They could make a packet. 

This article is well worth a read. Mauceri states what I've been saying for years. From about 1950 onwards film music took over real contemporary music. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2022/04/21/john-mauceri-war-on-music-book-classical-composition-new-film-score/stories/202204190116

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Every cue says "orch Herb Spencer" at the top, except

3M2 New - none listed

The score of that cue doesn't appear to be from the original 1977 sessions. It's missing some music from both the beginning and ending, and though uncredited, it's in John Neufield's writing. I don't believe he worked with JW prior to the late 1980s.

4 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I know that Al Woodbury assisted Herbert Spencer with orchestration on Star Wars in 1977. Were Arthur Morton and Angela Morley also involved? Also did Williams orchestrate anything himself? I'd be interested to know.

From Chris Malone's Recording the Star Wars Saga:

Due to the huge scope of the score, some 88 minutes, Arthur Morton, Angela Morley, Al Woodbury, Alexander Courage and Williams himself assisted in this time-consuming and exacting task.

So, JW apparently orchestrated something. A lot of his source cues use small enough instrumentation that his "sketch" is already effectively the finished score, so I think it's likely this is at least crediting him for the two Cantina Band numbers.

23 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Why did I think we were talking about recordings?

I really have no idea.  Hearing a recording wouldn't tell you who orchestrated it.

23 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

There were a bunch of alternate cue recordings out there though, right?

The 1997 2-CD set already has everything recorded for Star Wars on it.  Well, except for the original opening of the end credits.

Maybe you're thinking of mockups people have made from looking at the sheet music?

27 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

I wonder if Omni Music publishing will ever get around to releasing the Star Wars complete conductors scores. Or would that be a legal nightmare?

I think it's a good sign they've recently announced their first Disney title, Alan Menken's Tangled:

image.png

18 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The score of that cue doesn't appear to be from the original 1977 sessions. It's missing some music from both the beginning and ending, and though uncredited, it's in John Neufield's writing. I don't believe he worked with JW prior to the late 1980s.

Yea it's definitely a very, very different looking sheet from all the others!  I wonder what reason Neufield would have for writing this cue out years later? 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder what reason Neufield would have for writing this cue out years later? 

My guess would be that is was for prepared for a Pops concert. JW has performed other non-standard Star Wars selections like this that aren't from the published suites with the Boston Pops on occasion.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I really have no idea.  Hearing a recording wouldn't tell you who orchestrated it.

The 1997 2-CD set already has everything recorded for Star Wars on it.  Well, except for the original opening of the end credits.

Maybe you're thinking of mockups people have made from looking at the sheet music?

Well, I meant The Force Awakens specifically, but I do know what you're talking about on the 1997 version.

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

How did they leak? Was it in a game or something? Did someone actually leak the recordings from within Lucasfilm? What's the origin of those recordings that we have them?

As for recordings, those all come from video games.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Well, I meant The Force Awakens

The entire conversation we've been having today has been specifically about the 1977 film's score and who orchestrated it

Only partially unused - Sail Barge Assault is one of my favourite cues, an optimistic SW-ey explosion of joy after all the low Jabba stuff, but I was always annoyed by how cut up it is so I had a go:

Some parts were obvious, I knew I had to drop a lot and switch some batches around, but I was surprised how much Jabba I had to drop - and some of it was not very obvious, keeping it a coherent action scene with a definite point A, point B and twice as much footage as music between them that couldn't really go anywhere else could be difficult.

I tried this scene a while back, I was gonna compare the novelization and comic adaptstion to see if there was any insight into the earlier cut.

Wish we had the shooting script.

• 3 weeks later...

Great work on these @ragoz350, thanks for sharing!

The third version is awesome! Considering the start and end were both used in the film, is it a reasonable assumption the entire cue was recorded at some point?

The segment from 0:18 onwards sounds similar to the music used in the council meeting late in the film, when they're studying the hologram of Starkiller Base (and reused in TROS for another similar scene before the third act starts).

Woohoo, great news!

Shame they didn't keep using abandoned recordings in the bonus features for TLJ and TROS.

14 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The start and end are borrowed more-for-note from 1M4R The Arrival of Kylo Ren for the purposes of overlap, though.

Ahh yes. And I just checked the spectogram of OST track 1 and there's no obvious edit there, so the final cut and OST must be true to the recording.

1 hour ago, ragoz350 said:

3M29R: The first half is present in the movie during the last dialogue between Han and Leia (AFAIR), so the cue was definitely recorded.

That’s right. As written, the beginning of their conversation would have been underscored by a version of the Han Solo and the Princess theme, but Leia’s theme from 3M29R is used in its place. The playful droid moment just beforehand is from 6M52 R2 in Hibernation, which uses the same droid motif as 3M29, 3M29R, and 1M4A, which could have made it a recurring motif, had another instance been used. 🤷‍♂️

Here’s the context from the GEMA cue list, ordered by the first appearance of each cue:

Han and Leia Reunion

Finn and Poe, United

R2 in Hybernation

Leia, C-3P0, and R2

Parental Discussion

Bring Her to Me

On 16/05/2022 at 7:47 PM, Counterparts said:

I figured out what the problem is with the links in the main post, I should be able to fix them soon.

Thank you!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate being able to listen to these in the context of where they were intended to be placed. I don't mind going through the discussion to find each link but having them all organized at the beginning is so convenient.  I wondered if i had lost my access when some of the links didn't work and showed up as private. 

Doing the Lord's work here...

3 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Prequel links should be fixed now?

i did some spot checking and every one of them i tried worked.  Thank you for taking the time to that.   This is a treasure.  

9 minutes ago, jrauman said:

i did some spot checking and every one of them i tried worked.  Thank you for taking the time to that.   This is a treasure.  

oops. spoke too soon.  the prequel links seem good, but Star Wars & ESB are mostly broken (if not all). Some (if not all) of the ROTJ links are good.  Wish i could help.

Right, I fixed all the prequel links, I am going to fix the rest soon, just needed a rest after all the copy pasting lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/04/2022 at 5:16 PM, Jay said:

Yea it's definitely a very, very different looking sheet from all the others!  I wonder what reason Neufield would have for writing this cue out years later? 

Does this mean your spreadsheet is wrong regarding 3m2?

It says that 3m2 New is the familiar version from the film and 3m2 Rev is the unused alternate and 3m2 was never recorded.

But if 3m2 New was never actually a part of the film score then that no longer makes any sense

I don't follow what you're saying

3M2 New is part of the film score, it's simply that the scan of it included in the common sheet leak is a version John Neufield wrote at some later point in time, the actual handwritten version from 1977 hasn't leaked, just like a bunch of other cues haven't had their originally 1977 handwritten versions leak either

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't follow what you're saying

3M2 New is part of the film score, it's simply that the scan of it included in the common sheet leak is a version John Neufield wrote at some later point in time, the actual handwritten version from 1977 hasn't leaked, just like a bunch of other cues haven't had their originally 1977 handwritten versions leak either

Oh that makes a lot more sense. I misunderstood what @BrotherSound was saying here:

On 26/04/2022 at 4:55 PM, BrotherSound said:

I wrongly interpreted this to mean that the missing music from the beginning and ending were changes made by John Neufield for a concert performance of some kind, and that to distinguish it from the original cue he retitled it "3m2 New"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

The Force Awakens.

6m56,6m56R,6m56R Ext - "Preparing for the Mission"

[6m56B],6m56BRv1 (+New Ending) - "Kylo's Rage"

6m56C - "To Lightspeed"

Thanks so much for this! I appreciate all the effort you’re spending sorting out the very complicated evolution of this film and score.

1.1. 6m56 Preparing for the Mission (written no later than March 19)

Shame this was very likely not recorded: I love that very prequel-y fanfare at the end!

3. 6m56C To Lightspeed (probably March/April; fixed on June 15)
The numbering isn't chronological here, as 6m56D Ice Landing must play earlier.

Worth pointing out this cue introduces the mixed-meter motif that would later be used for Ice Landing.

9 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Worth pointing out this cue introduces the mixed-meter motif that would later be used for Ice Landing.

Yes, and a similar fanfare is also heard in 6m58 The Bombing Run, also accompanying the X-wings. I wonder which of these cues was written earlier: 6m56C or the 6m58.

20 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

I just checked the leaked score and they are all in there!

Do you have access to the sheet music?

I'm referring to Williams' sketches, not the leaked conductor score. The jkms instagram shows both, to my knowledge only the conductor score has been leaked

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

I'm referring to Williams' sketches, not the leaked conductor score. The jkms instagram shows both, to my knowledge only the conductor score has been leaked

Ah I See! sorry for confusion

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm curious why they were going through all of these. 🤔

JKMS regularly dig through their archives and post obscure images of old sheet music. I wouldn't read into it too much...

Somehow I don't see prequel LTPs on Disney's horizon, especially when they didn't even finish the sequel trilogy (though maybe JW pulled the pin after JJ's hatchet job on the final score).

22 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

I wonder which of these cues was written earlier: 6m56C or the 6m58.

No way to know for certain, but probably 6M58 because it dates to 5/1/15. Most fixed cues are done shortly after the original, so the original 6M56C is likely from late May or early June.

• 3 weeks later...