RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Clockwork Angel

These are brilliant @ragoz350, thanks for sharing!

Great to know both have been recorded. A big chunk of 5M45R was in one of the TFA docos, and I've heard the very end of 5M45R Alt somewhere too.

The proto-Chrome Dome – Wow!!

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Great to know both have been recorded. A big chunk of 5M45R was in one of the TFA docos, and I've heard the very end of 5M45R Alt somewhere too.

There’s a tiny bit of 5M45R Alt that’s actually in the film, tracked during Rey’s vision. GEMA lists it as “Finn Fight Alt”.

4 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

There’s a tiny bit of 5M45R Alt that’s actually in the film, tracked during Rey’s vision. GEMA lists it as “Finn Fight Alt”.

Which part?

2 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Which part?

It’s mixed simultaneously with a different cue, but there’s a few repeated timpani notes from 5M45R Alt audible at one point, when the Knights of Ren are shown onscreen.

2 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Ah, so its the bit mixed with one of the Hand Opening cue versions.

Right. There’s a lot of tracking in this sequence: there’s also some bits taken from 2M12 Poe Under Torture and 6M56B R v1 (New Ending) Kylo’s Rage, possibly more, as well as some of the intended 4M38A R Rey’s Dream.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2022 at 5:34 AM, ragoz350 said:

The Force Awakens.

5m46 [Kylo Stalks Rey]

5m45R [Back to Battle]

5m45R Alt

This cue is for one of the battle scenes on the forest planet, when Han and Chewie fight off the stormtroopers and Finn gets and uses the lightsaber.

0. 5m46 [Kylo Stalks Rey] (probably June, fixed on July 3)
In fact, the history of these cues is somewhat confusing. This scene was originally divided into two parts (separated when the lightsaber is activated), and in between was another scene where Kylo discovers Rey in the forest, with their dialogue apparently cut out.
JW wrote 5m46 cue for the Rey/Kylo scene and the second part of the battle scene. Of the cue, only its opening and ending are available (the material of which has been kept in later versions). In this video, I've tried to restore the beginning of the old cue (with a presumably abridged montage of the battle scene).
The middle of the cue is unknown, and the ending (when Finn fights the stormtrooper) is the same as the one in 5m45R.

1. 5m45R [Back to Battle] (no later than August 3; recorded)
The scene has been re-edited, and William Ross had to redo this cue. In addition to using material from the old version, Ross added new stuff, most likely based on JW's ideas. The result is a fun cue with a mix of very different action material.
Since in the final edit the scene is completely without music, I mixed my mockup with SFX. There are also differences from the final edit: I had to reduce Han's shots at the beginning of the scene, as well as inserting a black screen during the final duel (not sure if it's in the right place).

2. 5m45R Alt (no later than August 3)
JW later wrote an alternate ending to accompany the duel. A completely different approach, which then returned in Chrome Dome from The Last Jedi.

Here are my mockups in isolated form (for better quality you can download them):

I finally had a chance to check this out, and boy, it was really interesting!  Thanks so much for continuing to make these, this is some of the fascinating insights we've had here in a while.

Do you think I should break out all your work into its own separate thread, or do you prefer being inside this existing thread?

Also, the more I hear the earlier compositions of this score, the more I feel like the first idea JW had for the whole film is the best, and the rewrites, while containing many gems, are more often lesser than the originals.  Boy I'd kill to just have all the recordings, though a future proper expansion will probably be just as amazing.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Do you think I should break out all your work into its own separate thread, or do you prefer being inside this existing thread?

I wouldn't want a separate thread: all the videos of the restored SW scores would be in one place.

• 3 months later...

Wonderful work!

I really like the revisions Williams made going from 6M57 to 6M57R, although for the original version it's cool that the focus on the TIE fighter gets one pizzicato in low strings, and then when camera focuses on Stormtroopers, another pizzicato. Neat little detail. 

Also interesting to hear Rey's them in soft harp like that in the original.