RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Power Windows

Nice videos there @BrotherSound!

I'm more convinced by the second video than the first, if only because I can't envisage how that scene originally opened the film, complete with its threatening musical tone.

But then again, the way the sequence is shot (an ominous setting with all the smoke and debris flying around) doesn't match the whimsical/hopeful tone of the music used in the final cut either... what a shambles. :blink:

On 17/11/2021 at 3:12 AM, crumbs said:

I'm more convinced by the second video than the first, if only because I can't envisage how that scene originally opened the film, complete with its threatening musical tone.

Perhaps these timpani hits later evolved into what we know as the beginning of 1m15 Vader's Castle cue (which was also supposed to sound after the Main Credits). Apparently, in both versions of the beginning Abrams wanted the same ominous-mystical mood.
Although the second half, IMO, was meant for other (unknown) shots or taken from a different cue altogether...

UPD: haha, I didn't know, that timpani fragment (from OST Journey To Exegol) was from "Ready To Be a Jedi".

Got another speculative score restore video. Surprisingly, some of the music for Kylo on Mustafar appears (based on work codes from GEMA) to be titled ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’. This is the section from about 0:51–1:42 in the ‘Journey to Exegol’ track.

Based on that title, and what sounds to me like an appearance of the Knights of Ren motif, I’m wondering if this could be an early version of the Kylo/Knights of Ren fight from much later in the film.

All the known cues to feature the redeemed Ben variant of the theme appear to be revisions, so maybe Williams was originally planning to use the Kylo theme for Ben unchanged?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SfqdFFWkxRdQ1xCTxfRbeSMDpFgwaCGA/view?usp=drivesdk

Oh man, I dunno about that.  I think JW put that music in that early OST track because he wrote it for (a different cut of) the opening of the film.

It is surprising that he didn't think to make a redeemed Ben theme to use for that and other scenes until later, as it's amazing and fits those scenes like a glove in teh final film, but I dunno if he would have just used Ren's old theme as-is for this scene in your video

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh man, I dunno about that.  I think JW put that music in that early OST track because he wrote it for (a different cut of) the opening of the film.

Could be, but how would you explain the ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ title? Doesn’t seem to fit that scene at all. Every once in a while he’ll have a title that doesn’t make much obvious sense (‘Rescuing Luke’ from TLJ, for example), but usually not.

Also worth noting that this scene was apparently quite different at one point, without the lightsaber handoff and Kylo fighting the Knights off using only the Force.

Huh.  Interesting.  I dunno, I always thought that music was written for deleted shots of Kylo and the Knights fighting together on the opening planet, before JJ cut almost all of it and just left in a lame slo-mo version

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno, I always thought that music was written for deleted shots of Kylo and the Knights fighting together on the opening planet, before JJ cut almost all of it and just left in a lame slo-mo version

For what it’s worth, there’s already some slow-mo present for the shot from the Mustafar scene used in the teaser, from April 2019:

Also, it’s impossible to unsee this once you know it’s there, but I guess they decided Rey fighting the guards was over too quickly, because they actually repeated the action of her taking out the same four (I think) guards twice, just using the same shots from different angles!

27 minutes ago, Ian Stouffer said:

The Despecialized Edition Blu-Rays contain an Isolated Score option, as do the 4K77 and 4K83 Blu-Rays.

Those are fan edits, with the isolated scores done by people on here (plus they are not 100% accurate). Also, you should never buy fan edits on Blu-ray. Not only is it illegal, but it gives money to crooks and delegitimizes the work of the fans who make these edits. These edits are available for free, and can be found just about anywhere online. I've made a couple edits on the SWT Forums myself, and would be pretty pissed if I found someone trying to sell them or pass them off as legitimate releases.

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

For what it’s worth, there’s already some slow-mo present for the shot from the Mustafar scene used in the teaser, from April 2019:

Haha, seeing that made me wonder if the trailer guys did it on their own, then JJ was all "ooh, I like that", and put it in the movie too :lol:

Seriously though, I thought we knew there was deleted fighting scenes shot? Wasn't there something about Hux being there observing? 

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Also, it’s impossible to unsee this once you know it’s there, but I guess they decided Rey fighting the guards was over too quickly, because they actually repeated the action of her taking out the same four (I think) guards twice, just using the same shots from different angles!

Huh. Would you look at that! 

Seeing that again made me fall in love with JW's score there all over again. How could he not consider that good enough for the OST OR FYC!? 

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Could be, but how would you explain the ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ title? Doesn’t seem to fit that scene at all.

Could be that the part the cue scored started or ended with Rey?

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Could be that the part the cue scored started or ended with Rey?

Oh, it’s certainly possible!

What we don’t know about this score could fill a book, and hopefully it will one day. We could definitely use a Star Wars equivalent to the Douglas Adams book for the Lord of the Rings scores, or Jeff Bond’s for Star Trek.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Seriously though, I thought we knew there was deleted fighting scenes shot? Wasn't there something about Hux being there observing? 

Yep.

c96a861zkim41.jpg

And the Knights were there too, at least in concept art:

EcB47bcWAAA3_io.jpg

Hux has a cool line in the visual dictionary: “He’s gone mad. Flames of the rebellion burn across the galaxy and Ren chases a ghost.”

Totally superfluous line, of course. We don't need to understand what our characters are doing, or why. Context is so overrated these days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2022 at 1:43 AM, ragoz350 said:

After that, Oracle disappears, and Kylo takes the Wayfinder. Interestingly, unlike the new version, there is no Kylo theme or Wayfinder motif here. 
And an abnormally long chord (if the timecode is to be believed) is followed by a transition to 1M7 cue - possibly Journey to Exegol.

This is very cool! Nice work!

Love how that long chord at the end syncs with the distant ship entering the red nebula (or whatever it is). Would the opening of OST Journey to Exogol be in the same key as the ending of this cue? ie, would they overlap nicely?

And does anyone else feel like JJ had a much better film on his hands whenever JW started scoring it, as opposed to what was ultimately released? It seems JW knew exactly what approach to take and what mood the film required, then Abrams panicked and threw the whole thing in a giant blender.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep: the last note of 1M6 is a D, the same as the first note of ‘Journey to Exegol’, which strengthens the case for the opening of the track being 1M7.

Awesome!

I think this score will be revelatory in expanded form someday. Let's hope we're not waiting decades :(