John Powell's PAN (2015)

Not Mr. Big

The Boxtrolls is the only score of his I'm really familiar with. I should check out more.

I like a lot of Powell's work, but the fact that he's being give what, 1-2, maybe 3 months to write this instead of the probably year Marianelli has does not bode well.

Unless his semi-retirement has let to lots of unsolicited writing that would be appropriate for this film. Who knows.

Yes! That was his first big score.

I was always wondering what TGP and Sharky might think of Marianelli. Is he one of the good guys? Or just another fake messiah?

Karol

Sharky is a believer.

I think TGP has yet to be converted. From what I remember, he still judges Marianelli by lesser works like Pride and Prejudice.

Yea, it looks like I never posted anything about it when I listened to it. Strange.

Well, I listened to The Boxtrolls one time and Spotify and really enjoyed it! Been kinda waiting to see the movie to check it out again.

The film is not bad actually. You don't get to see a lot of stop-motion animation these days and that alone makes it worth it. Marianelli tends to blur the lines between sound effects, source music and score in his work. Happened in Brothers Grimm, V for Vendetta, Pride and Prejudice, Atonement and also in The Boxtrolls. That's one of his trademarks of sort.

Karol

It's disappointment mixed with rising anger. Powell has no time and we will be gifted with his xth hyperactive fantasy score instead of Marianelli's more measured classical take. Hope Ford fucked this one up.

One guy on FSM posted this (not sure how accurate this is):

Sadly Marianelli had to go. Who to blame? The corporate body of Warner Brothers. They'd make remarks like "your score is too European". The producers obviously want a lighter, funnier film and thought his score was too dark. Director still supported him. But ultimately with these big studio pictures, the studio has the final say. So bastards really.

Apparently the guy who works on this picture said he wasn't all that surprised, since they had pretty much said it might happen for the last 4 months.

But it doesn't excuse them having worked directly with him, saying they were happy with everything and then turning on him after the screening. If they were unhappy with the musical direction, they should have told him sooner. If only to give the next guy a half chance of writing a decent replacement score.

As regards score, it's like an old school score really. Orchestral, grand, heavy use of brass. A bit more straightforward harmonically than Brothers Grimm. He simplified it quite significantly after the first preview. In an effort to make it less European. Sadly it was never recorded.

As for Marianelli, he's pretty pissed off.

I don't envy Powell really, as he has a hell of a mountain to climb because the recording sessions are in 5 weeks time!

Karol

Sometimes, one hopes for a more Yared behaviour. ;)

But, it's quite likely the sessions might leak anyway. With how things are these days. I hope...

Karol

Horner's COMPLETELY recorded Romeo and Juliet score still hasn't leaked. I think rejected scores are less likely to leak than used ones.

I don't even know what that means

If you claim Horner's R&J has leaked, provide us some info. Tracks titles? Length? Mood? Style? How it spread?

Words are just words.

Yeah, i'm a tentative person.

If you claim Horner's R&J has leaked, provide us some info. Tracks titles? Length? Mood? Style? How it spread?

And you are really an obnoxious, anal-retentive kind of person. Why don't you just accept that some things are as they are and YOU are just not privy to them? How is that for a change? You can't prove no one has these recording sessions, either.

Well obvious SOME People have them. "Leaked" means its spread outside the people who worked on the film and whoever they trusted it with.

Well, people seem to use "leaked" to EITHER mean "its gone beyond the people who have the right to have it, and now session traders have it" OR to mean "it is no longer only in the hands of traders; it was posted to a public forum and now anyone can download it". Depends on who you're talking to, I guess.

v. leaked, leak·ing, leaks
v.intr.
1. To permit the escape, entry, or passage of something through a breach or flaw: rusted pipes that were beginning to leak; a boat leaking at the seams.
2. To escape or pass through a breach or flaw: helium leaking slowly from the balloon.
3. To become publicly known through a breach of secrecy: The news has leaked.
v.tr.
1. To permit (a substance) to escape or pass through a breach or flaw: a damaged reactor leaking radioactivity into the atmosphere.
2. To disclose without authorization or official sanction: leaked classified information to a reporter.
n.
1. A crack or flaw that permits something to escape from or enter a container or conduit: fixed the leak in the roof.
a. The act or instance of leaking.
b. An amount leaked: equipment used in cleaning up oil leaks.
3. An unauthorized or a deliberate disclosure of confidential information: "Sometimes we can't respond to stories based on leaks" (Ronald Reagan).
a. Loss of electric current as a result of faulty insulation.
b. The path or place at which this loss takes place.
An Internet leak occurs when a party's confidential information is released to the public on the Internet. Various types of information and data can be, and have been, "leaked" to the Internet, the most common being personal information, computer software and source code, and artistic works such as books or albums

These sessions are not unobtainable. That's all i can say so far. When or if they get in wide circulation i have no idea but i know someone here in Europe close to the post-production team who got at least a huge chunk of them.

These sessions are not unobtainable. That's all i can say so far. When or if they get in wide circulation i have no idea but i know someone here in Europe close to the post-production team who got at least a huge chunk of them.

Excellent!

Hmmm, his post says that Marianelli scored the film, they screened a version using synth mockups of his cues, the execs didn't like it, and now Powell is scoring it.

There is nothing about a "first version" vs an "updated version". Where are you getting that from?

As regards score, it's like an old school score really. Orchestral, grand, heavy use of brass. A bit more straightforward harmonically than Brothers Grimm. He simplified it quite significantly after the first preview. In an effort to make it less European. Sadly it was never recorded.

Ah, missed that!

Leave it to a studio exec to want something "less European". What does that even mean?

A bit off-topic, but most composers seem to write with MIDI (and produce their own mockups) nowadays. I was told by one of his orchestrators that Desplat does, and Davis apparently does too, although both are classically trained and know exactly what they are doing.

One guy on FSM posted this (not sure how accurate this is):

Sadly Marianelli had to go. Who to blame? The corporate body of Warner Brothers. They'd make remarks like "your score is too European". The producers obviously want a lighter, funnier film and thought his score was too dark. Director still supported him. But ultimately with these big studio pictures, the studio has the final say. So bastards really.

Apparently the guy who works on this picture said he wasn't all that surprised, since they had pretty much said it might happen for the last 4 months.

But it doesn't excuse them having worked directly with him, saying they were happy with everything and then turning on him after the screening. If they were unhappy with the musical direction, they should have told him sooner. If only to give the next guy a half chance of writing a decent replacement score.

As for Marianelli, he's pretty pissed off.

I don't envy Powell really, as he has a hell of a mountain to climb because the recording sessions are in 5 weeks time!

I understood that he never got to record the updated stuff (like Yared on Troy)

And then he mentions he heard some of it a while back while assisting a mate on this project. And that the film was tracked with mockups. Again, no mention of whether the score was recorded or not.

I simply assumed that Marianelli must have recorded something, given that he's been working on it for a year or so.

Karol