John Powell's PAN (2015)

Not Mr. Big

A bit off-topic, but most composers seem to write with MIDI (and produce their own mockups) nowadays. I was told by one of his orchestrators that Desplat does, and Davis apparently does too, although both are classically trained and know exactly what they are doing.

Marianelli does like to use computers and he does his own mockups. Not because he has to, he just likes technology.

And yeah, he can write it on paper and orchestrate. He did that on The Boxtrolls and conducted it as well (which is rare for him).

Karol

Probably having to audition each 20-second cue to 20 Warner Bros. execs for a whole year only to get fired for irreparable differences after all.

What a fucked up business.

Did the pulled trailer leak?

Interesting discussion in that thread you linked to. Highlights what I brought up long ago, that 2015 is just too damn crowded. Seems like WB will end up moving something to 2016

The Boxtrolls is the only score of his I'm really familiar with. I should check out more.

I like a lot of Powell's work, but the fact that he's being give what, 1-2, maybe 3 months to write this instead of the probably year Marianelli has does not bode well.

Unless his semi-retirement has let to lots of unsolicited writing that would be appropriate for this film. Who knows.

Warner Brothers pushed Pan back from July 24 to October 9 today. That allows more time for Powell to write it properly.

I've heard from random places that Powell has replaced Marianelli, but no confirmation has been announced as far as I know...

Does anyone know what's going on with this, because I was hugely excited for a Marianelli Pan Score. Powell is great and I am interested in what he would create, but I was looking forward to Marianelli.

It all started with a poster (look at the second line of the credits):

9rba2RQ.jpg

Then there was more:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20099&page=14#entry1114380

And finally, the explanation:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20099&page=14#entry1114462

To put it simply: yes, Powell replaced Marianelli.

Still no official confirmation though!

But yes, pretty certain that Marianelli has been replaced :(

Well, damn. That sucks. Thanks for clearing it up though. Big fan of Marianelli and his style. Met him last year and he's a great guy. I was really excited for his rich, colourful tones set to a Peter Pan, big fantasy film. We know Powell can do big fantasy so it's no surprise or anticipation, at least not as much as Marianelli doing it.

Well we still have this to look forward to I guess:

post-24809-0-20806500-1429917741.jpg

Which by the looks of it has already been recorded

post-24809-0-72269300-1429917879.jpg

I think nobody really minds that John Powell will be doing rhis film. But we already know what it will probably sound like. Dario Marianelli, on the other hand, still needs to unleash his enormous talents in a film like this.

Karol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Marianelli is going around theatres ripping down Powell posters and sticking up his own. He bought 20,000 posters just in case when the producers started saying, "we want less original ideas and more...more traditional, yes let's say traditional sound."

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Powell will have a canvas of enormous possibilities for his music. :)

Oh god, i hope it doesn't get as hyperactive as the trailer looks. Powell is a good composer but prone to excess and onslaught. The zany image overload may stimulate him.

Yikes. Just saw the new trailer.... this movie looks weird

Could generate a seriously awesome score out of Powell, though.

Marianelli should record his demos

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose it's alright. But it doesn't seem like it'll be much of a distinct entry in his oeuvre. Hopefully the hyperactivity will be more balanced as a whole.

Doesn't make me stop wishing Marianelli was still on board. :(

Sounds good, even if a tad too hyperactive (which is something that bother me with his HTTYD scores and is one of the reasons why I would have preferred to have Marianelli work on this).

EDIT: Hey, KK. Great minds think alike!

It's solid, certainly looking forward to it. But they picked very busy material, hope there is some restraint in there as well.

Karol - still mourning the loss of Marianelli who would have probably done some more classy than the usual Hollywood stuff