The Desolation of Smaug - Extended Edition Discussion

gkgyver

So, Extended Edition ...

Do you think we will see a flashback on the story of Thranduil's white gems? I was watching the AUJ audio commentary again, and Boyens says it will be elaborated on in the 2nd and 3rd films. And since DoS didn't mention it a lot, except once, shortly, I thought this could be included in the EE.

• 2 months later...

For those keeping tabs on such things, someone on TORN who downloaded the DoS:EE early from ITunes (he's in New Zealand) confirmed that the prologue is extended with a flashback, but isn't saying what it is exactly. That's enough to get me excited. The obvious candidate is the map and key scene, given that the Thrain disappearing after Azanulbizar flashback would make better sense when Gandalf finds him in Dol Guldur.

This time around I am actually very interested to see if the extra material will bring some of the book back to the movie and add something relevant to the story now that the dwarves have gotten over their fart jokes and food fights they enjoyed in Eriador in AUJ.

Has there been any indication of what will be the statuette coming with the Collector's Edition of the Extended Edition.

EDIT. Oh yeah it was those dwarven statues KK hates.

Despite what has been said, I would be stunned (and very happy) if ALL the music for the added scenes is new. I find it hard to believe that PJ had this cut down to a tee last year and it was scored perfectly, and then various alternates and replacements were done for the TC (or vice versa). If we suppose there is 22 mins of added music (rough estimate - could be more, could be less), I expect about 10-15 mins of it to be new and the rest tracked.

I really hope I'm wrong, but looking logically at the production process I just can't see it.

I've reached a point where I'm more interested in the new music than in the new footage in these EEs.

Ah the saturation point has been reached. Actually it is a bit the same for me as well. Some nice possibilities to expand the music in those extra 20 odd minutes of footage too. :)

If I understood it correctly they did the recording of these pieces of music already at the sessions back in 2013 and it is just added to the additional scored scenes in the EE.

Despite what has been said, I would be stunned (and very happy) if ALL the music for the added scenes is new. I find it hard to believe that PJ had this cut down to a tee last year and it was scored perfectly, and then various alternates and replacements were done for the TC (or vice versa). If we suppose there is 22 mins of added music (rough estimate - could be more, could be less), I expect about 10-15 mins of it to be new and the rest tracked.

I really hope I'm wrong, but looking logically at the production process I just can't see it.

You're wrong. The EE film and TC film were edited and scored side-by-side. All the EE cues where written by Shore the same time as everything else, and recorded by Pope the same time as everything else.

You're wrong. The EE film and TC film were edited and scored side-by-side. All the EE cues where written by Shore the same time as everything else, and recorded by Pope the same time as everything else.

I'll trust you have insider knowledge, but I do find this strange. Obviously this wasn't done for AUJ, and it wasn't the case with LOTR, so it's a big change. I suppose it works for the sake of convenience, but it surprises me that Jackson would have both edits locked down at such a relatively early stage. I guess this shows more discipline than many people give him credit for.

If that theme does indeed turn out to be Thrain's theme we will have proof of your insight.

Yes, the post production process is very different for the TH films than the LOTR ones. I mean, when they were first making the LOTR films, they had no idea there'd even BE extended versions eventually, right?

With TH they knew that the whole time, and PJ simultaneously prepared both versions.

For AUJ it was tricky though, because they shifted from 2 films to 3 mid production, so they didn't have that luxury then. Shore was just scoring finished footage as he was sent it, and the TC was still being shaped up to the last minute. Once that was done and an EE was commisioned, most of the added material had already been scored by HS, and no further recordings were needed. And then by the time they moved onto DOS after that, the had the luxury of simultaneous cutting and scoring.

Yea, it's kind of like an EE of the first 2/3rds of the original 2film Film 1 :P

Yeah. The 10 extra minutes do not add anything very vital to the already 2h 50 minute film.

That's not what we were just talking about - we were talking about the TC of AUJ. It features stuff in it that never would have been in the TC of Film 1 of the 2 film structure.

Anyways, I still maintain the EE of AUJ is a superior cut to the TC.

Never in the annals of Rivendell has there been a more sordid episode.

That we know of...

And you know when I said that I was mainly thinking about those involving Bilbo, Elrond and Thorin. And I rather like Bofur's number.

Well now we know why 'The Nine' features in the extended House of Beorn:

During the conversation between Gandalf and Beorn they show a flashback to Men of the North dragging the body of the Witchking into a tomb

And after that it gets even better. Festering plot holes and illogical deviations from Tolkien as far as the eye can see!

Well it makes sense in the nonsensical movie canon musically.

Post from TORN:

The music in the flashbacks is poignant and great. It's a reuse of the Durin's Folk theme in a more glorious way. Louder, more war-like.

More House of Durin! Sounds like this one might have choral elements too. Can't wait.

Have you learnt nothing BB? Don't get your hopes up! You always end up disappointed!

And that thing about the Nine sounds awful...I was kind of hoping they just gave up on that storyline...

The music in the flashbacks is poignant and great. It's a reuse of the Durin's Folk theme in a more glorious way. Louder, more war-like.

Sounds great! I feel like I'm gonna enjoy the new music a lot!

Whoah, whoah, whoah BB!? What's this? Optimism? Regarding The Hobbit films?!

OK given that it refers to the music I can concede your reaction was warranted. Carry on!

Picture "An Ancient Enemy" from AUJ but with House Of Durin interpolated into it :)

Now that sounds extremely interesting and potentially goose bumps inducing.

Have you learnt nothing BB? Don't get your hopes up! You always end up disappointed!

Not this time! Remember: Howard has shaved! Hope is restored!

But the music was written BEFORE the Great Shaving!!

Never! That's a lie! Smoke and mirrors to beguile the masses! There was a beard so Shore could get closer to the dwarven mentality. Use the Beard Howard, use the Beard!