The Desolation of Smaug - Extended Edition Discussion

gkgyver

The framing story of Old Bilbo is ok I guess, but nothing essential.

I would have preferred if it just started and ended with Freeman-Bilbo smoking his pipe outside and a visit from Gandalf.

Well I do like the concept of old Bilbo narrating the Erebor back story. The other way to have done that was in the midst of the Dwarf meeting I guess, but this works just fine. But everything else, especially Frodo is pure EE fan-wank stuff. Though quite harmless.

Yea. It's stupid, but ultimately harmless.

I don't like Bilbo narrating the Erebor back story. You never feel like he spent time sitting down with the dwarves to learn all this story in the final cuts of the films.

:lol:

I don't like Bilbo narrating the Erebor back story. You never feel like he spent time sitting down with the dwarves to learn all this story in the final cuts of the films.

He obviously learned all of the sordid backstory on their travels together. It is just not mentioned in the films.

Moving the exposition of the backstory of Erebor and Smaug into the Bag End scene would have been gilding the lily just too much. It is already a heavy exposition scene but to add another 8 minute piece in the middle would have made it even longer. As it is I don't in all parts like the prologue but it is a nice way of introducing people to the background of the whole story, the dwarven culture and Middle-earth.

• 3 weeks later...

the music documentary on the DOS EE is very nice to watch. Cool footage of Pope working with the orchestra

the music documentary on the DOS EE is very nice to watch. Cool footage of Pope working with the orchestra

Yes. It is a great documentary and it is suprisingly candid about the new scoring process which they switched to after AUJ. Sadly AUJ is quickly bypassed with very few comments but the DoS stuff is really interesting. Conrad Pope is a very articulate guy and a consumate musician so it is always joy to hear him speak on the subject and he is really good in the DoS documentary. Oh yeah and Shore is on it too. ;)

Speaking of the Bilbo's narration, it's interesting how much of it is taken from other areas of the book, for example, the bit in the EE about the Dwarf/Elf conflict, is almost straight out of page 183.