BloodBoal

Thanks! Very different from the big commercial properties I've been around lately, but I honestly believe it'll change the way many people look at film music. For me, at least, it was a revelation. :)

Wow very cool!

:cheer:

I had no idea books took so long to write and get released. I think the first public mention was back in 2012 on the Hobbit AUJ tracksounds podcast? No idea how much earlier than that you had started, too....

They do when they research-based, 700+ pages, and being written concurrent to other books. ;)

Really though, 2012 to 2016 isn't too bad a stretch.

I had no idea books took so long to write and get released. I think the first public mention was back in 2012 on the Hobbit AUJ tracksounds podcast? No idea how much earlier than that you had started, too....

And the reason the "big wrap up presentation" doesn't include Howard "I've been the best part of your measly movies and all I got was this lousy documentary" Shore is what exactly?

I pushed (gently) for a few more music comments, but the focus was elsewhere this time. Totally understand, too. This is their big wrap-up presentation--and they certainly featured scoring heavily last time out. No bad blood.

And don't worry, we'll have plenty more to say about the music in the future.

Anyway, I'm set for an entirely different documentary later this month ... if Jim lets me. ;)

D

I know it might be a bit early but I was wondering, since you have been mentioning that in the Hobbit scores there are both many more character themes and more interaction with the cultural thematic families, will there be again those enlightening engravings/examples of the themes which show the interconnectedness of the different themes in the score? With those little colour highlights and arrows and such? It was illuminating even for musically illiterate in The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.

And the reason the "big wrap up presentation" doesn't include Howard "I've been the best part of your measly movies and all I got was this lousy documentary" Shore is what exactly?

We know some kind of super 6-film box set is in the works, so that will probably be the final say on all things Jackson Middle-earth. I hear they're saving a ten-hour documentary on the score especially for it.

We know some kind of super 6-film box set is in the works, so that will probably be the final say on all things Jackson Middle-earth. I hear they're saving a ten-hour documentary on the score especially for it.

The documentary consists of a video of Doug Adams in a nice armchair reading out loud both of his books on the music of the LotR and the Hobbit.

Well, really, when you think about it, this documentary was more dedicated to Conrad Pope than Shore...

Well, really, when you think, this documentary was more dedicated to Conrad Pope than Shore...

As it should be. The true MVP of these films.

The documentary consists of a video of Doug Adams in a nice armchair reading out loud both of his books on the music of the LotR and the Hobbit.

We'd all watch it.

The music got a great big wet smooch in the DOS documentaries. Howard is a humble fellow, and is more than happy to share the spotlight this time around.

I can write that stuff, but no one can say it ...

#HarrisonFord

The music got a great big wet smooch in the DOS documentaries. Howard is a humble fellow, and is more than happy to share the spotlight this time around.

I can write that stuff, but no one can say it ...

#HarrisonFord

You could always hire Ian McKellen dressed as Gandalf to do it. Authentic. ;)

What would you need isolated scores for? The CRs of LotR have more than the films do, and in the case of the Hobbit, there aren't tons of pieces.

There are still little bits from the TE we rely on the BFME files for. Plus I'd like the film mix/versions of one or two cues.

Plus we could watch the films with just the music.... (that would probably help with the DoS finale, which bored the pants off me in the cinema)

I wouldn't mind, but Shore's original composition was spectacular. I honestly think in the frenzied post-production for these movies, Jackson, clearly exhausted, perhaps understandably wasn't thinking entirely straight, and made some rash calls. That's the only way I can rationalize it anyway.

Not to open an old can of worms or anything.

There are still little bits from the TE we rely on the BFME files for. Plus I'd like the film mix/versions of one or two cues.

Plus we could watch the films with just the music....

Yes, yes and yes.

Not sure that would necessary help the DOS finale, though (especially considering how hacked up the music is there).

Presumably Richard means if the music is properly restored there.

I wonder how likely isolated scores are in the future. That could surely be a way of improving the representation of the Hobbit scores. Perhaps Shore could work on it like he worked on the LOTR Complete Recordings. Lets hope he and Doug are interested!

Actually no, I'd like to hear the music exactly as it appears in the films, because there are lots of little moments that are not part of Shore's original intentions.

Aren't the OST's enough this time? They contain most of the music anyway.

Not sure if you're being serious, but I'm actually fairly satisfied with the SE OSTs myself.

Enough? They're too much. I've never been able to stay interested in any Hobbit score the whole way.

Yeah, I've made my own abridgments for all three scores.