BloodBoal

Wow. To tell you the truth almost all the posters and such cover images look very slapdash these days. Why not have Alan Lee and John Howe paint the covers? So much classier.

You knew the whole poster/art thing was going to be bad when we never really got what I would consider to be a true final theatrical poster for AUJ. Sure we had a few nice ones (Gandalf in the Shire, Bilbo walking out of Bag End), but otherwise there was that retread with Bilbo and Sting and that was about it...I was waiting for a big multi-character poster, in the style of the LOTR ones. And once that didn't happen, you never had an established one for the DVD/Blu-ray art (it doesn't help that they've used so damn many). It's been a mess really. More Warner bollocks.

I like the bottom bit of the BOFA poster (the fighting), but everything above it is arse.

And the sooner you acknowledge that the Bilbo with Sting poster was shit the better.

Bilbo is seen swinging Sting a lot in the posters while actually does quite a little of the actual fighting in the films. I guess hero always needs to have a weapon to brandish because that is the way you defeat bad guys.

And the sword. Why did he have to be always portrayed with a sword! He is not James Bond, he doesn't need a weapon in one hand in the poster.

Otherwise a nice uncluttered, no floating heads, poster.

I only really love the one with the open door at Bag End!

Definitely the best poster!

I desire more music

always more!

but yes AUJ > DOS > BOTFA (I only really want the entire Fire&Water sequence from that)

also this reminds me of the LivTyler in every poster days

I forgive you Peter Jackson, all is redeemed!

This adds so much to the narrative.

Presumably why it was cut in the first place.

I've certainly re-assessed my expectations for this EE to zero.

If the ROTK EE is anything to go by, it'll be superfluous garbage that deserved to be cut. Disappointing, because half an hour of genuine character expansion added to BOTFA results in a film that deserves accolades.

If the ROTK EE is anything to go by, it'll be superfluous garbage that deserved to be cut.

Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth!

Do you have any authority to treat with me? I have a token to show thee.

mid-2004,Harry,Potter,Complete,Score,Sou

This release was dear to thee, I see.

My concern is that we only have 20 minutes and this is one sequence which really doesn't need extending, except for maybe the destruction of the windlance. But you could be looking at a couple of precious minutes right there.

My concern is that we only have 20 minutes and this is one sequence which really doesn't need extending, except for maybe the destruction of the windlance. But you could be looking at a couple of precious minutes right there.

Yep, plus some irrelevant chariot chase that has little relevance AND even more awful Legolas antics with the bats of Gundabad.

Was it really so hard to include a little bit more character interaction into an awfully action-heavy film?

I'm pretty sure any flashback involving the death of Legolas's mum will be saved for the inevitable prequel:

Lord of the Rings: Anthology - The Conception of Legolas

It will be 4 hours long and star Meryl Streep as Legolas's mother.

If the ROTK EE is anything to go by, it'll be superfluous garbage that deserved to be cut.

Be silent! Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth!

Do you have any authority to treat with me? I have a token to show thee.

mid-2004,Harry,Potter,Complete,Score,Sou

This release was dear to thee, I see.

I know a lot of people who would die from a heartattack if they saw this in front of them

I liked it the way the film portrayed it; that Thorin was alone with Azog for the final battle was a more fitting conclusion for a character who essentially descended into madness on his own.

That Bilbo was his only companion upon his death was touching, considering their tumultuous relationship throughout the trilogy.

I doubt they would have changed the idea of Thorin facing Azog alone. It is something PJ must have dreamt of very early on since he could not do a bad guy going mano-a-mano with the main hero in RotK. They built the enmity so deliberately over the first two films, they practically had to have a duel at the end.

But the scene happening in the Dale ruins would have been better. I never liked the way they folded in distance in the movie as in the book reaching the spur of Ravenhill took 3 hours or longer on foot. It is in the close neighbourhood in the film.

I personally would have loved a scene closer to the book where Thorin, Fili, Kili and their group of dwarves are surrounded, desperate and fighting for their lives and making an attack against Azog's guard with Azog and Thorin maybe wounding each other mortally but then Beorn coming to actually turn the tide by crashing into Azog's vanguard and killing them and finishing the orc king off. Why should the movie follow film conventions when the book didn't do it in its story either? To me Thorin's redemption would have come in his valiant leadership of the small army of dwarves, men and elves against the overwhelming numbers of Azog's forces and dying in defense of his allies and friends, not from some one-on-one combat with the main bad guy.

I like the composition of the artwork above; Thorin lying dead on the ground with Erebor and the statues of his ancestors in the distance behind him.

Not exactly subtle, but still more symbolic than anything else PJ achieved with the prequel trilogy. Thus it's unsurprising this was jettisoned in favour of him dying while watching over a patently fake, stylised sunset.

I thought the whole Ravenhill business a terrible idea, for several reasons.

1) It took us away from the main battle, so we had no idea what was going on down there from then on.

2) It required goats/rams to get up there, which is just another poor unnecessary element

3) The distance was probably one of the reasons why they decided to jettison the armour of the Dwarves, since greater mobility was required

4) We lost the great book moment of Thorin rallying all to him during their desperate last stand

5) It meant Beorn couldn't arrive at the main battle before Erebor, and had to arrive on a fucking eagle due to the height, which was bollocks

Upon seeing Thorin's charge, the angry Azog should have decided to come down from the Ravenhill and join battle, and it could play out from there. They could almost work it into the plot, with Thorin saying that the only way they could entice Azog down was for him to emerge. Part of me wonders if the action was put up on the Ravenhill to cater for Tauriel and Legolas. Dean O'Gorman did say recently that the original plan was for him and Kili to die together, which of course makes perfect sense. I'm putting that change (surely the worst of all) down to studio bollocks.