BloodBoal

And sometimes they shoot stuff that will still be left on the cutting room floor as it repeats things expressed elsewhere or accomplishes nothing in the final revised and re-written movie.

I think there are only two reasonable explanations for that shitty BOFA EE:

1) PJ was getting tired of all the Middle-Earth stuff and wanted to end it as soon as possible.

2) PJ is considering (or Warner asked him to consider) releasing a super-duper overly extended edition box set with all 6 films, so he deliberately didn't include some footage because of that.

I'm leaning towards 1. I just don't think he gave a shit once it was finished.

That critics blasted him for the rushed ending and he didn't change anything to help it? Yeah, he just didn't care.

I think there are only two reasonable explanations for that shitty BOFA EE:

1) PJ was getting tired of all the Middle-Earth stuff and wanted to end it as soon as possible.

2) PJ is considering (or Warner asked him to consider) releasing a super-duper overly extended edition box set with all 6 films, so he deliberately didn't include some footage because of that.

I'm leaning towards 1. I just don't think he gave a shit once it was finished.

That critics blasted him for the rushed ending and he didn't change anything to help it? Yeah, he just didn't care.

He'll go down with his multi-billion earning CG spectacle!

And swims ashore with chests full of fan robbed gold and starts prepping for Tintin 2!

as for not yet accountedfor footage

There was clearly more Legolas tomfoolery in the EE trailer

but I cant blame anyone for forgetting that

(The trailer also used that same Bard hanging from the rooftop shot, yet that seems to have gone missing now)

I want to see Bilbo recover the chest from the trollshaw. What was the point of even including that in film one!? Aghhh, screw you Jackson!

Ah another fault. One more strike PJ and you're out of here!

I'm so glad we get an extra 120 frames (technically 240 if we see the film in HFR) of Beorn.

Jackson promised us "lots more Beorn action!" and he delivered.

He forgot to say "frames" in there didn't he.

Yes, Legolas hanging upside down under the bat and slicing orcs was in there. It was just really short, barely worth mentioning.

Bard on the rooftops from the old trailers was not. Prologue was not extended.

I'm still gobsmacked even the wind lance was ignored. Was just that another pointless reshoot they shoved into film #2 to extend the runtime?

You could just as easily cut that entire subplot out of film 2 and it'd make no difference to the siege of Laketown sequence.

Well, I checked my timer when Smaug died, and it was around 11:44. When I got home I checked the TC, and Smaug died around 11:44.

But maybe I did something wrong / missed something.

And not the only one.

Listening to Jackson justify all his lazy, cynical additions is a trifle cringe-worthy. Not one thing elevated the source material.

We want your head on a plate Mr. Peter Jackson! On a fine plate!

Guys, the new footage was all really good. It all made the film better.

The chariot sequence was the best action scene PJ has directed in years!

We want your head on a plate Mr. Peter Jackson! On a fine plate!

Right next to some goat testicles that a hideously awful invented character will eat in grotesquely unfunny fashion, alongside his equally unfunny invented counterpart.

Guys, the new footage was all really good. It all made the film better.

The chariot sequence was the best action scene PJ directed in years.

Then he really needs to find a better editor, because his current one has no clue!

Another thing I forgot to mention - later in the battle, when Legolas takes over that troll on Ravenhill, it takes on a new funny meaning now, because its the same one Bofur was controlling earlier!

So which version of which film is the best, Jay?

Karol

Easily the EE, as I've said multiple times in this thread already :P

One thing that should make Barny happy:

Something no one has yet mentioned...

Most of the additions have already been discussed in this thread so I won't rehash them. But one thing no one else has mentioned is that the famous dwarf battle cry, "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" Is finally uttered! By Dain no less!

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=876753;page=7;sb=post_time;so=DESC;mh=25;guest=157319630#876942

That actually did make me feel a little better.

I'll have to see it before I can really have a say, but I can't say I'm not disappointed based on all these reports. Those fabled 10 minutes really would have helped - 30 seconds for the Wind Lance here, another two minutes of Dol Guldur there (with Beorn), another 30 seconds of Beorn, and about six minutes of post-battle stuff (Beorn carrying Thorin, Bard and Thranduil at the funeral placing the Arkenstone and Orcrist on Thorin, extended funeral speeches and songs, extended farewells, Bilbo requesting the necklace from Dain, Bilbo giving the necklace to Thranduil, Bard being declared King of Dale, longer return journey with Beorn). Hell, a few extra minutes and you could have a stop at Rivendell where Sting gets engraved and there's a brief final White Council scene, setting up events and giving Radagast some closure. Not to mention an epilogue of old Bilbo reading a birthday letter from Bofur which explains what has happened to Erebor, Dale, Mirkwood and the Beornings, as well as the company, in the aftermath. About 15-20 minutes would have done it. I've missed a few scenes off here (Thorin's "Everything I did, I did for them" bit, the Thrain revelation, Bilbo planting the acorn). He added about 50 minutes for ROTK so 40-45 wouldn't have hurt here surely, especially if it made the film immeasurably better? Some things are irrevocably broken (the fates of Kili and Fili) but much could be repaired through addition.

As it stands, Jackson can only redeem himself by either giving us a super extended edition or complete deleted scenes, complete with a brief commentary: "Hopefully you can do something with this shit, I simply couldn't be arsed".

I'll always be thankful for AUJ and certain parts of DoS and BOTFA, but not those two films as a whole.

Don't judge until you've seen it for yourself!

Alright, alright...

So... Let's talk about the music!

I'm surprised the only thing you mentioned was the funeral cue. Was the rest mostly unnoticeable/already on the OST?

Yeah I want to know this too. Was the funeral cue House of Durin like someone said? Also, it sounds like a lot of new battle stuff was added - does what's on the soundtrack really cover all this? Are most of the missing parts of Sons of Durin restored? And what about the early parts of The Darkest Hour? Is the infamous 'Troll' motif present?

Karol

Yeah, but is it as big of an improvement as DOS?

Karol

What critics blasted him?

People with neck-beards on Internet forums and blogs?

ROTK was bashed strongly for its ending (or endings) and PJ didn't change anything for the EE.

I guess he was happy with how he ended that film, and he was happy with how BOT5A ended.

I'd rather have that then an EE slavishly assembled to appease the "fans" of the Hobbit trilogy.

The treasure counting room, that's another one we may never see.

And can Doug tell us what Palantir vision he saw in DoS now? Was it Bilbo imperilled on the Ravenhill or close to it?

Shit I just remembered there's another Chronicles book out soon. No doubt that will have loads more amazing stuff in they decided not to include. I glanced through it again this morning and still can't believe they didn't have the Dwarves fight in their armour. Some of those designs looked incredible.

What critics blasted him?
People with neck-beards on Internet forums and blogs?

ROTK was bashed strongly for its ending (or endings) and PJ didn't change anything for the EE.
I guess he was happy with how he ended that film, and he was happy with how BOT5A ended.

I'd rather have that then an EE slavishly assembled to appease the "fans" of the Hobbit trilogy.

This is correct. Of all the criticism I've seen of BOTFA (and I'm talking from 'neutrals' here, not fan forums), the ending wasn't among it. Infact, several reviews made a point of praising how quickly it wraps up in comparison to ROTK.

Karol

Yeah, but is it as big of an improvement as DOS?

Karol

Oh! I misread your question before!

Er, not an overall fan of any of the 3 films, but I absolutely found the EE of each film to be an improvement over its TC, for sure, no question.

As for which film is best, eh, take your poison, they are all so disappointing, though all with many great individual aspects and moments.

Right now I'm high on the BOFA EE, the additions were really swell. I laughed out loud at a few great scenes, and man, that chariot race was ace!

I think the EE excitement over LOTr came from the fact that we wanted to see more book stuff in the movies

Hobbit had far less of that

easily one of the best EE scenes is the Beorn stuff, for that reason

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11389280&postcount=1201

I liked the exchange between Thranduil and Bard in front of Erebor before the battle. Thranduil says something along the lines of "Just sell the Arkenstone. Ecthelion of Gondor will give you a good price for it." Ecthelion is Denethor's father.

:mellow:

It's a cheap reference but I'll allow it.

And I trust Jay is prepping a detailed response to our questions about the score?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11389280&postcount=1201

I liked the exchange between Thranduil and Bard in front of Erebor before the battle. Thranduil says something along the lines of "Just sell the Arkenstone. Ecthelion of Gondor will give you a good price for it." Ecthelion is Denethor's father.

:mellow:

Ha! I knew that was new!

(I pointed it out in my liveblog)

I've seen several posts mentioning that the bloom has been turned down!

I have to say, I had such poor memories of the film when I saw the TC opening night.... but last night, I enjoyed the film so much more! And several times I noticed that the film LOOKED good, in fact! I have no idea if the bloom was turned down or not, but there you go.

I have to say, I'm rather glad Bifur losing the axe is in there, I always appreciate more moments with the 'lesser' Dwarves. To be honest, I was stunned it was included, I'd have said there was no chance of that being restored.