BloodBoal

That's a fantastic book, you should really buy it. One thing though - all the amazing battle stuff (Dwarven armour, creatures, etc) will make you weep for what might have been (or could it still come to pass with the EE?)

Since you have read those "Making of" books, what are the biggest unused ideas for these films? Anything earth-shattering?

The wereworms were too much for me, they should have been dropped in the design stage.

There will be dwarven mountain goat cavalry and some kind of dwarven war chariot chase coming up in the EE I assume. It will surely flesh out Bilbo's role in the film and a bit of the anonymous dwarves of Thorin's company.

Not many actually care about this release now. The momentum for this franchise burned out a long time ago.

Of course they will be. You don't need to be a brilliant movie to be a classic. It'll be a classic simply because of Tolkien, and the connection to LotR.

Phantom Menace is also a classic, and what a pile of shit that was.

Warner issue press releases about all their upcoming Blu-rays, so they're not going to just let this plod on and release it without any fanfare whatsoever. They're obviously holding out for a reason. Bear in mind that the official release date for this is 17th November in the US, which is a good week or two later than previous EE's, so that has to factor in with regard to timing of the announcement. There's also the theatrical release to consider - maybe they're ironing out the details of that first? And perhaps we're getting a full-on trailer rather than just a clip? In any case I'm sure we'll get official word this week.

The Phantom Menace is not a classic!

A classic is a film that is known all over the world, is penetrating into the zeitgeist, and will be watched by generations to come. Phantom Menace is known all over the world, has entered the zeitgeist and popular conscience, and will be known to many generations to come. It IS a classic. Shit, but classic.

Even then, the Hobbit films hardly penetrated the zeitgeist of its time. AUJ was building off the momentum of its predecessors and showed early signs of TPM-level resonance but died off pretty quickly.

Other than showcasing beloved characters of the popular LOTR films (which did successfully enter the public conscience), they've had little cultural impact really. In 5 years time, these films will have been forgotten and buried in the long list of modern CGI blockbusters. And people will go back to revering/parodying/paying homage to the original trilogy.

I find it funny to think that it's mid-August now, which means the EE will be released in about 2 and a half months, and there still hasn't been any official info released by Warner (even the theatrical screening of the BOFA EE hasn't been confirmed, I believe). Everything we've learned about the EE was through other means. Seems like Warner doesn't care about it at all!

They're far too busy plugging the unfolding DC Universe that'll be unleashed upon us next year.

The Hobbit films are among Warner's biggest Blu-ray/DVD sellers of recent years, of course they give a shit. How many other extended cuts get a preview clip when announced, get a cinematic release? I'm not sure what the fuck you expect. They'll detail it soon, probably this week. They aren't just going to let it sneak out onto shelves. It will be milked for all it's worth.

Well if you were my buddy, surely I wouldn't use that tone with you? I would speak to you nicely, like good chums do.

I meant extended cuts in general by the way, not just for these films. Usually they're pretty much a non-event.

Well yeah but that's the exception rather than the rule - I'm referring to recent times, and the likes of X-Men: DOFP, Poltergeist, Fast & Furious 128, etc. When the press releases for these come out it's really not that big of a deal. You've named some very famous films there, including some of the most famous director's cuts of all time. I'm not saying extended cuts/DC's aren't a big deal - of course they are - but in terms of modern films getting longer cuts on Blu-rays there are very few as anticipated/trumpeted as The Hobbit films.

The BBFC have rated the following:

-THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION [Trailer 1] (Main Trailer) (2m 37s)
-THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION [Trailer 2] (Teaser Trailer) (1m 44s)

Hopefully we'll see these over the next week - remains to be seen how different the pair will be. I had wondered if, because of the delay, we'd be getting a full-blown trailer rather than a clip.