The Five Sacred Trees aka Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra

Thor

10 hours ago, ChrisAfonso said:

I'm still bummed I missed this performance a few months ago just an hour from where I live, but thankfully they put it online:

Was just about to post that performance. I liked it. That conductor just leaded us last week. 

On 30/03/2023 at 1:59 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Sorry, you're right, there isn't a recording of the Oboe Concerto on Naxos, just this one (which I do have!).  Only the horn concerto is unique to  Slatkin on Naxos, all the others have been recorded at least once elsewhere by JW or others. Shame he didn't get to the Viola Concerto.

The other unique recording on an obscure label is the Harp Concerto (On Willows and Birches) performed by the BSO under Shi-Yeon Sung conducting and harp by Ann Hobson Pilot, which I had in lossy but finally found lossless on Qobuz yesterday. Lovely, if rather slight.

Both the Oboe and Harp concerti were released on BSO Classics, the Boston Symphony in-house label, though just digitally. I wouldn't call it an obscure label, even more so as many orchestras have chosen that path instead of only  working with major labels.

Regarding Slatkin/DSO on Naxos, they did record a few more concerti but weren't properly released. I think only the Oboe one is still available through their online video catalogue, but not through Naxos. I think both the Flute and Trumpet ones, while webcast, were never even made available as replay.