The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra: The Complete Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Film Music Collection

Faleel

I am actually kind of interested in their interpretation of I See Fire, it will probably still be crap, but.

I wonder if the music chosen is exactly the same version as heard on the OSTs or might there be suites here? All track titles seem to indicate these are the former. And will the songs actually be sung or are they orchestral versions like CPPO has done in the past.

I am hoping the songs will be instrumentals like in their LOTR recording, seeing how they are being packaged together.

You can hear a track from the CPPO recording (quest for Erebor) on spotify:

https://play.spotify.com/album/7IeceXekPf2sQUFqCBoMTd/7

Yeah it is available in full here as well.

Performances vary again from quite decent to simply passable.

Misty Mountains is an orchestral version of the song, which is a nice variation on the melody.

Song of the Lonely Mountain is a full orchestral interpretation of Finn's song where they have naturally stuck with Finn's stylings on the Plan 9 melody.

I See Fire is still not good.

The Last Goodbye sounds surprisingly nice in the purely orchestral guise. Which also makes the nods to Shore's hobbit music even clearer.

Recorded in 2003-2005?

The LotR part of the compilation I assume. Unless they channeled the Hobbit from the future.

Recorded in 2003-2005?

The LotR part of the compilation I assume. Unless they channeled the Hobbit from the future.

I was responding to GK

Recorded in 2003-2005?

I was responding to GK

Those were not really that great interpretations. As it has been stated before CPPO is quite odd with their recordings. Their score reconstructions sound quite fine and energetic and precise but these compilations seem to be a way to earn a few extra bucks so they often sound somewhat shoddy. Perhaps it is the quick production schedule which leaves little time for rehearsals?

There is probably also a difference in crew which has something to do with it.

Well yes naturally.

Yeah it is available in full here as well.

Performances vary again from quite decent to simply passable.

Misty Mountains is an orchestral version of the song, which is a nice variation on the melody.

Song of the Lonely Mountain is a full orchestral interpretation of Finn's song where they have naturally stuck with Finn's stylings on the Plan 9 melody.

I See Fire is still not good.

The Last Goodbye sounds surprisingly nice in the purely orchestral guise. Which also makes the nods to Shore's hobbit music even clearer.

May I ask - where exactly is 'here'?

Recorded in 2003-2005?

It's not impossible. After all we live in 2015 now ;)

Karol

Recorded in 2003-2005?

I was responding to GK

Those were not really that great interpretations. As it has been stated before CPPO is quite odd with their recordings. Their score reconstructions sound quite fine and energetic and precise but these compilations seem to be a way to earn a few extra bucks so they often sound somewhat shoddy. Perhaps it is the quick production schedule which leaves little time for rehearsals?

Also probably part of it is that the Tadlow people conform the score recording to the DVD of the score except for some exceptions.

Listening to this now... I think the recording sounds better a little bit better than the OST in some ways.

But you almost gotta wonder about this Nic Raine fellow's ability to transcribe, his attempt at the Warg theme at the end of Sons of Durin is pretty bad.

That Clarinet reading of the Misty Mountain's theme in Song of the Lonely mountain is actually kind of beautiful.

Shore's music has had some awful transcriptions over the years...I'm guessing this is another one of them.

How can you fuck up the warg theme? The sheet music for Warg Scouts is actually available. Even if it's just a piano sheet, I would think a trained musician could do something with it.

My country has most of the Hobbit tracks locked I guess.

As does mine. But you can hear 30 second clips here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Hobbit-Rings-Music-Collection/dp/B00VX75UCC

Do any of these transcribers even bother trying to emulate the aleatory? They basically just try to cover it up with some obnoxious ostinati.

My country has most of the Hobbit tracks locked I guess.

As does mine. But you can hear 30 second clips here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Hobbit-Rings-Music-Collection/dp/B00VX75UCC

Do any of these transcribers even bother trying to emulate the aleatory? They basically just try to cover it up with some obnoxious ostinati.

Hmm, didn't notice extra ostinati.

It's funny that TheHutt from TheOneRing.net/Henneth Annun.ru is just now noticing that Doug is hinting at his Hobbit book.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that wasn't... completely terrible... but it's not any good either.

The Hobbit stuff is maybe performed and arranged a little better than the LOTR cuts. They have a horrible selection of DOS material though - only 5 tracks, 2 of which are the Tauriel/Kili tracks (Why not just do Beyond The Forest inetead), and the others are Quest for Erebor and Protector of the Common Folk (and Sheeran's song). So you have no Smaug material at all, no Nine stuff, no Mirkwood stuff, no action stuff, no Dol Guldur stuff... its a pathetic attempt at representing what that score has to offer. The LOTR cuts at least summarize what those scores are all about better.

The instrumental versions of the end credits songs are I guess the most interesting parts. Sheeran's song becomes almost a whole new thing. Oddly the BOFA song sounds even more Shore-esque than the original.

But really, there's not much to like about this 2 CD set at all. The performances range from acceptable to pretty abysmal. There's some goofy things like odd choir in Twilight and Shadow, and there's a track called "Return of the King" that goes from the track of the same name from ROTK to a weird medley of end credits music from ROTK and FOTR and some other stuff that was already on the disc, so its a repetitive annoying mess.

A shame because somebody could make a sweet 2 disc summary of everything Shore accomplished with these scores, but this set doesn't come close.

There's nothing here I recommend.

The LOTR stuff is actually a cut down repackage of a re-recording they did a while back:

Yes, I know.

You are repeating yourself. ;)

(For those wondering what happened: I posted what I said about the LOTR set, then I went and found the amazon link, and posted it, intending for it to merge with the aforementioned post, however, Jay posted that he knew about the set, and so I edited the post to what it says now, but not before Jay had read and responded to it.)

To me, The Hobbit recordings seem better recorded and performed than the LOTR ones, not perfectly, or even greatly, but better.

What a weird selection for the Hobbit music - it has none of the Smaug or Goblintown material, and picked some of the weakest tracks from DOS. "Gollum's Song" and the first half of "Hope and Memory/Minas Tirith" (that key shift in the Gondor theme section is cringe-worthy) sound great, but the rest of the LOTR performances are pretty lackluster, and already available on their previous release. Color me unimpressed.

Yea, it was a waste of time. Only thing worth checking out are their interpretations of the end credits as instrumentals.

Yea, it was a waste of time. Only thing worth checking out are their interpretations of the end credits as instrumentals.

I absolutely love their "Gollum's Song" interpretation though.