Joss Whedon to direct Star Wars Episode IX (2019)?

I think he will tackle a small film next, like how he did Much Ado About Nothing in between Avengers and Age of Ultron

This rumor is solely due to Whedon's apparent availability at this point, nothing more. This is an extremely weak and unfounded rumor.

It is also strongly rumored that Abrams will be back for IX.

I would probably be initially disappointed if this were the case, and then silently hoping for better than his previous offerings (felt the same way about Josh Trank, RIP)

I've had a change of heart. Instead of Newman, this guy.

0319_eric-whitacre4.jpg

Here is proof that he can be adequately "old fashioned."

http://ericwhitacre.com/music-catalog/wind-symphony/noisy-wheels-of-joy

Sure, but can he do cold blooded, aleatoric, klangfarben, sonoric, atonal stuff? My concern is his distaste for high modernism would show.

My decision to want him on board came immediately after hearing his latest piece. Definitely has the capability to get dense in the right way.

Whedon > Abrams

Whedon's characters have 'swing', it makes them human, which is important for Star Wars. He's familiar with the Space Western genre. His movies are cleverly amusing in tone and yet his suspense scenes are indeed suspenseful. He doesn't do mellow, sappy or corny. His fighting choreography in Serenity was ace (although I've heard that these scenes are so technically complex that they are put together by special choreography directors). And he knows how to draw a 'baddie'.

Joss Whedon could make The Empire Strikes Back of the new generation Star Wars movies, folks.

Alex

I can't stand the smug, self-satisfied feeling Whedon's films have. Couple that with his poor visual style and I'll take Abrams any day of the week.

This. Every line is a sarcastic joke.

I can't stand the smug, self-satisfied feeling Whedon's films have. Couple that with his poor visual style and I'll take Abrams any day of the week.

So not.

And Koray prefers poderous and serious.

It's why he prefers the prequels.

I think Whedon simply extends on the style of humor that Lawrence Kasdan used in The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Their characters often realize or have some kind of self-awareness about the impossible situations they find themselves in.

So not.

And Koray prefers poderous and serious.

It's why he prefers the prequels.

I think Whedon simply extends on the style of humor that Lawrence Kasdan used in The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Their characters often realize or have some kind of self-awareness about the impossible situations they find themselves in.

Good point, but how much of what we see and hear on TESB is Brackett, and how much is Kasdan?

Anyway, Kasdan wrote "The Big Chill", "The Accidental Tourist", and the almighty "Grand Canyon". Whedon couldn't begin to even contemplate anything so complex.

Whedon isn't going to be interested, but Whedon writing and Cuarón directing is something that I would watch.

That would be really great actually, especially the latter.

But this isn't something either of them are interested in at this point.

Cuaron and Star Wars? Why? Neither Gravity or Children Of Men indicate that he's perfect for Star Wars".

Now if you said James Gunn then I would understand.

Alex

I hate it when links make me look like I've been stalking someone's profile, this isn't bloody Facebook!

Cuaron and Star Wars? Why? Neither Gravity or Children Of Men indicate that he's perfect for Star Wars".

Now if you said James Gunn then I would understand.

Alex

I think Prisoner of Askaban does. He'd be great at finding a balance between what is required of the spirit of the franchise and still incorporating his inherent visual language.

I was referring to his malleability, not to make Star Wars like Potter. I think Cuaron could easily tap into the Star Wars universe and nail the tone of it.

Whedon would probably give a great script and characters, but his visual style is too boring.