What is the most disturbing film you've seen?

Sharkissimo

What's disturbing about it?! Are you serious, Richard? Lumet's Equus is one of the most difficult films to watch ever. The horses!

"Up" represents a possible future to me that appears to be coming true. The opening montage is possibly the sadest piece of cinema I have ever seen. I like to watch "Up", but, and for all the wrong reasons, I'm in tears whenever I watch it.

The horse-blinding in "Equus" doesn't bother me, at all. What disturbs me is that some-one would want to do that, or would feel compelled to do that.

BTW, Eileen Atkin's "speech" to Richard Burton, is brilliant!

Not sure if it has been mentioned already (don't want to browse several pages), but parts of the movie Jacob's Ladder (1990), such as that scene in the nightclub. The old 'shaky head' effect never loses its effect. I also think that the Nicky 'event' towards the end of The Deer Hunter is disturbing, not in the sense people are talking here but just a very visceral moment on the first viewing. DeNiro's acting in that scene was very real.

(don't want to browse several pages)

Why not? You don't like to read what people here have to say?

Se7en is a poor man's Silence of the Lambs without the great acting, great editing, great directing, or great story telling.

See, I don't agree. Silence Of The Lambs is not a movie that survives the trial of multiple viewings to me. I liked it in 1991 but today it has spend its force. It's gotten old. OTOH, I am still very impressed with Seven an how well it still works.Alex
of course you don't agree. Silence is as relevant now as then. It is a masterpiece. 7 is a typical mess from Fincher.

What's disturbing about it?! Are you serious, Richard? Lumet's Equus is one of the most difficult films to watch ever. The horses!

The horse-blinding in "Equus" doesn't bother me, at all.

Only at JWfan!

Se7en is a poor man's Silence of the Lambs without the great acting, great editing, great directing, or great story telling.

See, I don't agree. Silence Of The Lambs is not a movie that survives the trial of multiple viewings to me. I liked it in 1991 but today it has spend its force. It's gotten old. OTOH, I am still very impressed with Seven an how well it still works.Alex
of course you don't agree. Silence is as relevant now as then. It is a masterpiece. 7 is a typical mess from Fincher.

I'm sure the poor Blu-ray presentation/transfer has somewhat influenced my latest viewing, Joey. I'm sensitive to that.

My last viewing left Dave and I mesmerized. I kept thinking how tight the film was and how lean. No waste. Foster's performance is so layered. It is utterly worthy of the Oscar. Ted Levine is brilliant. He is as good as Hopkins and Foster. The movie doesn't just overwhelm the eye on blu but this isn't a Spectacular to wow the eyes. I am impressed by Shore score.

I think both Silence of the Lambs are Seven are great films.

Though Silence will probably stand the test of time better, and perhaps already has.

Not familiar with either score outside their films.

But when I recently re-watched Seven for the first time in a decade or so, I really quite enjoyed the score in the film, and hope for an expanded release to come this year for its 20th anniversary.

Though Silence will probably stand the test of time better, and perhaps already has.

Why?

It's the opposite for me (for reasons I explained already). In fact, Seven looks like it's been filmed yesterday, while Silence is getting a little long in the tooth.

So why?

Seven is more stylized, and more 90s'-esque. Silence is more timeless.

EDIT: I typed that before I saw Brain-boy's post.

Even Red Dragon is more timeless than Seven, though it does very much feel like an early 2000s film.

And I'm not knocking any of these films - I like all three very much!

I just recently watched Silence again myself, and find it as much a masterpiece now as I ever did. It's a phenomenal psychological thriller. Se7en was a good movie, well-crafted, and interesting insofar as it was a portrayal of the perfect crime successfully pulled off. But (as the one who first put it on the table as a "disturbing" movie) I can't say I enjoyed watching it. Too dark, too hopeless. It wasn't the chess game that Silence was.

The cinematography of Seven is stunning - the look and feel of the world is great, you really get absorbed in its atmosphere. You feel like you are in the rainy streets of the nameless city with the characters. The editing and scoring help with this too.

Jaws was timeless until the mayor lights up a smoke in the hospital. In today's world, Brody would have ignored the shark at that point moving forward.

The cinematography of Seven is stunning - the look and feel of the world is great, you really get absorbed in its atmosphere. You feel like you are in the rainy streets of the nameless city with the characters. The editing and scoring help with this too.

It IS stunning and most movies today are still copying its style, compositions and especially its monochromatic color tones.

fb98b3f39ae20b02c6dd219c2ef3c379_zps8lgi

1485ab180d35db8b604cf290d864f947_zpsscfz

Both Silence and Seven influenced a ton of movies and continues to today, no question. Seven probably influenced more than Silence in that regard.

This is especially true of the main titles; After Seven we had a good decade where lots of films copied Seven's main titles to varying degrees before opening credits disappeared entirely again

Probably the best looking Fincher before before he switched to his "digital" era

Jaws was timeless until the mayor lights up a smoke in the hospital. In today's world, Brody would have ignored the shark at that point moving forward.

Great point! :lol:

But brings to mind another subject: the mayor's suit. And a lot of the other outfits in the movie. And the hairstyles. Let's face it: Jaws has a dated look to it, too. So does The French Connection. And Superman. And Gone With the Wind. And a lot of other movies that were made a long time ago. How does that make them less impressive as cinematic works of art? If it's a great movie, the fashions and music and cinematic styles of the day shouldn't detract from that. At least they don't for me.

I guess I just don't quite get the whole "dated" bit. That sort of thing can make a bad movie look worse, but it doesn't harm a really good movie for me. There's an unspoken understanding that the film isn't going to update its own look as the years go by. It even adds a certain charm in most cases.

But brings to mind another subject: the mayor's suit. And a lot of the other outfits in the movie. And the hairstyles. Let's face it: Jaws has a dated look to it, too. So does The French Connection. And Superman. And Gone With the Wind. And a lot of other movies that were made a long time ago. How does that make them less impressive as cinematic works of art? If it's a great movie, the fashions and music and cinematic styles of the day shouldn't detract from that. At least they don't for me.

I guess I just don't quite get the whole "dated" bit. That sort of thing can make a bad movie look worse, but it doesn't harm a really good movie for me. There's an unspoken understanding that the film isn't going to update its own look as the years go by. It even adds a certain charm in most cases.

There's no mistake about it. Jaws looks seventies but that's a compliment.

jaws12547_zpsgkuafr7m.jpg

The one truly "timeless" film is, and always will be, is "2001: A Space Odyssey".

"The Silence Of The Lambs" is one the most un-intentionally bad films ever released. It has no atmosphere, and it is filled with portentious, and pretencious performances. All that "looking almost direct to camera" stuff, makes me laugh my head off!. Honestly, I can't take it seriously, at all. it is truly awful. Sorry, guys; I know that a lot of people near-worship it, but give me "Hannibal", any day - nasty, gory fun.

All last week, a whole bunch of us at work were saying "it puts the lotion in the basket" Funeee!

Haven't touched stuff like Antichrist, Funny Games, Salo, A Serbian Film etc. (and not planning to.)

A Serbian Film doesn't deserve to be on that list. Not because it doesn't try as hard as possible to be disturbing, but because is nothing more than a piece of shit, while the other ones are good to great films.

There's no mistake about it. Jaws looks seventies but that's a compliment.

jaws12547_zpsgkuafr7m.jpg

What a stunning shot, from Bill Butler, and not a single CG, or grading device in sight, just a brilliant cameraman, and a great location, and a great sunset. Pure brilliance. Now that's how to light a movie!!!!!!!!!!

What I read about A Serbian Film and Human Centipede 2 was enough to know I will never, ever see them.

I have no interest in seeing that either, but HC2 is supposed to be far, far, far, far more deplorable.

"The Silence Of The Lambs" is one the most un-intentionally bad films ever released. It has no atmosphere, and it is filled with portentious, and pretencious performances. All that "looking almost direct to camera" stuff, makes me laugh my head off!. Honestly, I can't take it seriously, at all. it is truly awful. Sorry, guys; I know that a lot of people near-worship it, but give me "Hannibal", any day - nasty, gory fun.

All last week, a whole bunch of us at work were saying "it puts the lotion in the basket" Funeee!

Interesting perspective. I have to wonder what you would find "atmospheric."

The first Human Centipede movie is oddly watchable and not exactly terrible. Never saw the second one.

Silence and Seven have the same issue in that their endings are weak and rather formulaic. Overall Silence is the better film for me, but their both influential, well-written, brilliantly acted, directed and shot. The degrees of separation between them are so tiny that you could make a perfectly valid argument for either being better than the other.

In the end, the Lecter character is too undeniable.

Again, Alexcremers wrongly considers visual fidelity and artistry as being the be all and end all when "dating" film and determining its quality and longevity. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all had the same narrow field of view he has when thinking about one of our favourite pastimes.

I believe Alex and I share the same fundamental cinematic values. And I respect that and am pleased to find someone who appreciates the same things as deeply as I do. But he does seem to cleave too hardly to that ideal, to the neglect of so much else that is worthwhile.

I respect that and am pleased to find someone who appreciates the same things as deeply as I do.

[David Brent]Ooo, Ooo, I'm so profoundly affected by visual cinema, Ooo, Ooo.[/David Brent]

Interesting perspective. I have to wonder what you would find "atmospheric."

Off the top of my head, I would say that "Bad Day At Black Rock" is one of the most claustrophobic films I have seen.

I go for emotional atmosphere, rather than the visual, or audio experience.

I respect that and am pleased to find someone who appreciates the same things as deeply as I do.

[David Brent]Ooo, Ooo, I'm so profoundly affected by visual cinema, Ooo, Ooo.[/David Brent]

Well, I am.

I believe Alex and I share the same fundamental cinematic values. And I respect that and am pleased to find someone who appreciates the same things as deeply as I do. But he does seem to cleave too hardly to that ideal, to the neglect of so much else that is worthwhile.

Interesting. What do I neglect?

The one truly "timeless" film is, and always will be, is "2001: A Space Odyssey".

Richard might be on to something. I do agree that outside the story and the characters (which work very nicely the first time you watch it), there's very little to take away from Silence during repetitive viewing. Over the years, the character that is Hannibal has become some kind of caricature.