New JW Compilation including 'A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey' (World Premiere Release) and 'Fanfare for Fenway' - Free Audio Streaming

Ricard

Ricard and I worked with Captain Megan to attempt get physical CDs released by one of the labels, but it didn't pan out. So, enjoy the free stream, everybody!

Can somebody confirm that it's a 2015 release (the website says 'recorded in 2014')?

I will add these entries in my Wiki disco.

What do you mean? This literally was just released right now. This is the premiere release....

Ricard and I worked with Captain Megan to attempt get physical CDs released by one of the labels, but it didn't pan out. So, enjoy the free download, everybody!

Is there a download option? All I can see is the streaming option.

Anyways, intriguing set. Great to finally have a good-sounding recording of FENWAY and NOSTALGIC. I'm not sure about the size of the original ensemble and whether or not this is bigger or smaller. Does anyone know? It's hard to make out from the bootleg recordings.

So, this seems like a potentially stupid question, but for those jazz lovers out there, is the Odyssey piece good? It sounds nice, though I am not blown away by it, but I don't have a good appreciation of the genre.

Fanfare for Fenway...nothing really to write home about. I prefer all other Williams fanfares.

I don't really remember any of his other fanfares (non-film score) being as good as this one.

This is kick-ass album!

Just listen through the tracks of interest to me. The performances are top-notch, and very well recorded.

I'm listening to "Cowboys" as I write. what a sprightly rendition!

I'm glad to finally land on a good recording of "The Reivers" (concert version). "Fenway" is also a very welcome listen (perhaps the first proper recording?). "Escapades" is joyful as well.

Thanks Coast Guard Band!!!!

So, this seems like a potentially stupid question, but for those jazz lovers out there, is the Odyssey piece good? It sounds nice, though I am not blown away by it, but I don't have a good appreciation of the genre.

It's bizarre to me. It isn't bad, but knowing the kind of brilliant synthesis of the jazz idiom with the classical one that he'd create and master later on, it's pretty on the nose and unremarkable. But then, it's a "nostalgic" odyssey so perhaps that's the point.

I would like to be able to download "Fanfare for Fenway."

I think the add-on called "Video Download Helper" will do that on Firefox.

Great to finally have a proper new recording of "A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey", it makes a nice companion to the other early JW concert pieces Prelude & Fugue and the Sinfonietta for Winds.

Very good performances all around. I'm always impressed by the high level of musicianship in these US military bands. The playing is on the same caliber of standard symphony orchestra players.

Great to finally have a proper new recording of "A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey", it makes a nice companion to the other early JW concert pieces Prelude & Fugue and the Sinfonietta for Winds.

Very good performances all around. I'm always impressed by the high level of musicianship in these US military bands. The playing is on the same caliber of standard symphony orchestra players.

The sinfonietta still doesn't exist in a good-sounding format. I think I have a copy of the Deutsche Gramophon LP, and it's not good. I have no idea if they cleaned things up for the Japanese CD, because it's so rare I've been unable to track it down. But that one deserves a new, sparkling-sounding release too -- like the odyssey.

By the way, it's interesting to compare this new version of the odyssey with the old bootleg version (I have no idea where this comes from, btw) -- this one seems to separate between each melody line more clearly.

"Fanfare for Fenway" does not have it's premiere recording here. It has been available since 2013:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/2012-midwest-clinic-united/id665178814

Also, it's worth noting that the Sinfonietta was supposed to have been recorded, but there were some adversities that prevented it from happening.

I listened to the first "CD" this morning.

Great versions.

The arrangements and renditions of Sugarland Express and Star Wars may not be to my personal taste, but the rest is superb.

I don't understand why they don't want to issue a CD!

"Fanfare for Fenway" does not have it's premiere recording here. It has been available since 2013:

Thanks Miguel, I've updated the "Concert works" section of the Wiki disco!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Concert_works

I forgot about that! Thanks for the correction!

Hmm.. I don't recall anyone mentioning this before, not even Miguel.

Also, it's worth noting that the Sinfonietta was supposed to have been recorded, but there were some adversities that prevented it from happening.

Budget issues, as the band was not allowed to hire the extra people they needed to record it.

So in that case:

You mean "premiere release", since as you know the premiere recording was actually done by Williams in 2012.

So what we have in this compilation is the world premiere release of a studio recording of Fanfare for Fenway (and its second official release ever).

So in that case:

You mean "premiere release", since as you know the premiere recording was actually done by Williams in 2012.

So what we have in this compilation is the world premiere release of a studio recording of Fanfare for Fenway (and its second official release ever).

Guys, I will ask for a little help here.

When you discover a new JW recording that it's not listed on the main jwfan.com website or in the Wiki disco, please ring a bell. :)

I didn't know the existence of this 2013 CD, and it was not mentioned in the "Concert Works" section of the website either before yesterday or today.

2 years before adding a recording to our lists, well, that's not very efficient, we need the help of everybody!

Thanks! :)

Jay and I are at least as interested as you are in compiling all this stuff. The release of that live recording was overlooked because of its reportedly sub-par performance and the fact that no link was ever posted until today. It was certainly an exception.

BTW it's not a CD but a digital download.

On 5/12/2015 at 1:43 PM, Ricard said:

So in that case:

On 5/12/2015 at 11:29 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

:nod:

On 5/12/2015 at 1:57 PM, Bespin said:

Guys, I will ask for a little help here.

When you discover a new JW recording that it's not listed on the main jwfan.com website or in the Wiki disco, please ring a bell. :)

I didn't know the existence of this 2013 CD, and it was not mentioned in the "Concert Works" section of the website either before yesterday or today.

2 years before adding a recording to our lists, well, that's not very efficient, we need the help of everybody!

Thanks! :)

Well there is no 2013 CD, just a 2013 iTunes track (... or is there a CD for that too?)

I consider the main page of JWFan to be a definitive JW discography; I'm sorry that I have never visited your wiki page. If you follow the forums, however, you will absolutely be made aware of any new JW releases that come out.

On 5/12/2015 at 2:49 PM, Ricard said:

Jay and I are at least as interested as you are in compiling all this stuff. The release of that live recording was overlooked because of its reportedly sub-par performance and the fact that no link was ever posted until today. It was certainly an exception.

Agreed. This 2013 iTunes thingy just slipped through the cracks. it generated no discussion here, and the person who "found" it didn't provide a link in his post, further making it lose some visibility.

Right.

I found it on prestoclassical.co.uk, so I assumed a bit to fast that it was issued on a CD.

I consider the main page of JWFan to be a definitive JW discography; I'm sorry that I have never visited your wiki page. If you follow the forums, however, you will absolutely be made aware of any new JW releases that come out.

Well, the main page is definitely not a discography, it focuses on Works (and it's ok, because it helped me, and many other sources, to construct my disco).

The discography offers another point of view, as it only contains the recorded and issued works (on any support, listing the reissues, etc.). And all the info is found in ONE page (wonderful for any research, you should try it!).

Here's the link of my Wiki disco: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

One page complements the other, because I think it represents two essential ways of presenting the information.

That is not legal!

Stefancos,

Soon it will be! Huzzah!! This is the sentence to which I was referring:

"The compilation, entitled ‘John Williams for Winds – Music for Cinema and Beyond’ is now available for free streaming at the US Coast Guard Band website (download link coming soon)."

I've listened to about a 1/3 of the tracks so far.... what superb performances by the U.S. Coast Guard Band! Shame a CD release didn't pan-out. I see that the selections were uploaded as 160 kbps mp3 files. Admittedly, the sound quality is very good, but a higher bit-rate would have shown-off the excellent recording quality.

For those interested in hearing more John Williams pieces performed by an world-class wind ensemble, I highly recommend this album from the Siena Wind Orchestra conducted by Kim Seikyo. It's a Hybrid Super Audio CD and features superb acoustics & recording quality... that truly shine in its 5.1 mix.

I had another listen to this album and I have to say there are so many lovely arrangements of JWs music here plus the playing is excellent, really high caliber.

There are several notable things here: The Patriot Suite which contains that wonderful pastoral flute solo in the place of O'Connor's violin, a great spirited rendition of The Cowboys Overture, the cool wind orchestra version of The Sugarland Express, The Fanfare for Fenway and A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey. But all in all it is really a terrific double album worth of music and I am amazed they didn't create a commercial CD as I would have snagged a copy ASAP!

• 1 month later...

Although the site has a 6 week delivery date for physical cd, I hope it'll be the same for the mp3 and if that's so, then the John Williams for Winds: Music for Cinema and Beyond will be available next week, as it was announced on may 11.

Impatiently waiting for it!!!

I had another listen to this album and I have to say there are so many lovely arrangements of JWs music here plus the playing is excellent, really high caliber.

There are several notable things here: The Patriot Suite which contains that wonderful pastoral flute solo in the place of O'Connor's violin, a great spirited rendition of The Cowboys Overture, the cool wind orchestra version of The Sugarland Express, The Fanfare for Fenway and A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey. But all in all it is really a terrific double album worth of music and I am amazed they didn't create a commercial CD as I would have snagged a copy ASAP!

Most (if not all) of the arrangements were done by people who have worked on them under Williams own approval.

Most (if not all) of the arrangements were done by people who have worked on them under Williams own approval.

All the better! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone have this album available to send via email or download?  I've been trying since the summer to get a copy of this and now the links to the coast guard band's website don't work.

• 1 year later...