The Football (Soccer) Thread

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most heartbreaking thing is seeing all of the same last names and their ages. Generations of family members perishing together.

The Russian Hooligans are targeting English supporters because they make to "dethrone" them in a way. Since England is pretty much where hooliganism in football started.   A corrupt, near di

The proof is in the pudding...and the pudding in this case is a football.  BOOF!   I thought Arsenal were superb and thoroughly deserved their win yesterday.  My nephew was lucky enough to b

• 5 months later...

Today marks the thirtieth anniversary of one of the worst stadium-related disasters in English football history, when a fire in the main stand at Bradford City's Valley Parade ground resulted in the deaths of 56 football fans (including two from Bradford's opponents that day, Lincoln City). Although the Hillsborough disaster is more notorious and the death toll was higher, for some reason the Bradford fire has always had a more profound effect on me, perhaps because it happened at a level at which I watch most of my football. It is thought that the fire was started accidentally by a discarded cigarette setting light to years of accumulated rubbish underneath the stand.

What is terrifying is just how quickly the fire took hold. Almost everyone that tried to escape onto the pitch survived, most people in the ground not realising until afterwards that many of their fellow supporters had perished trying to escape through the exits at the back of the stand and finding them locked, as was commonplace in those days to prevent people getting into football grounds without paying. I've been to Valley Parade a couple of times and took this photo of the memorial on my last visit. As it was the family stand, many of those who died were senior citizens or children.

DSC00993_zpsnnofpd3q.jpg

The footage of the disaster (available on Youtube) is quite harrowing to watch, so please be warned if you wish to see for yourself what happened.

RIP to the 56 Bantams and Imps fans.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://m.goal.com/s/en/match/turkey-vs-netherlands/1653326?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.nl%2F

After an appalling loss against Iceland earlier this week we were swiftly set aside by Turkey, placing us 4th on the poule and no longer in control of qualifying for Euro2016.

I guess the problem is that "we" think we are still better then we are. Underestimating our opponents, or worse, grossly overestimating ourselves!

Louis van Gaal saw this, two years ago after losing a practice game from France and adopted a new 5-3-2 system which was seem as highly defensive, and a departure of the "total football" introduced by Cruijff now over 40 years ago!

But we became third under his reign, and after that Hiddink and now Danny Blind chose to ignore the teachings of Van Gaal.

We are doomed!

Dutch Football all but died tonight, only one man, one Saviour can restore us!

CD2C0AA8-B839-410E-B235-F72755F4B368_zps

We are doomed!

On paper Turkey's remaining two games are slightly more difficult than the Netherlands', but yes I have been surprised to see the Dutch struggle in qualification for this tournament. Iceland are doing well under Lars Lagerback, who took Sweden to a number of tournaments; from a neutral perspective, it would be nice to see them qualify for their first major tournament.

England have had a relatively straightforward campaign, with the only hairy moments coming in our games against Slovenia. If I can throw off this cold I seem to have caught today, I hope to be at Wembley on Tuesday to see if Wayne Rooney can break Bobby Charlton's all-time goalscoring record against Switzerland. He has had his critics (and still does) but the lad knows where the goal is.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of a good introduction (in the form of a read, a video, ...) to football? It's sort of embarrassing to be nigh completely ignorant of it at my age, so I'd like to at least have an idea what it's about.

Anyone know of a good introduction (in the form of a read, a video, ...) to football? It's sort of embarrassing to be nigh completely ignorant of it at my age, so I'd like to at least have an idea what it's about.

Do you mean the laws / rules of football, Alexander? The English FA (Football Association) website has a fairly simple and digestible summary of the laws of the game if you are a complete novice.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play?Laws

If you were to watch a couple of matches afterwards you would quickly pick up the most important rules.

Impressive last minute win from Arsenal!

Yes, especially as Bayern had won all their games so far this season.

Talking of impressive last minute wins from Arsenal, this one never gets old - real Roy of the Rovers stuff, whichever team you support.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday evening I was in Devon to witness one of the greatest nights in the history of the team I support, as Exeter City (currently sixteenth in England's fourth division) held Premier League club Liverpool to a 2-2 draw in the FA Cup!  It was the best atmosphere I can remember at our home ground.  We will probably be annihilated in the replay at Anfield, but one can dream...

https://youtu.be/s7-uZU7ivqQ

17 hours ago, Omen II said:

We will probably be annihilated in the replay at Anfield, but one can dream...

That's the charm of the FA Cup. That one in a hundred chance of your local 4th division team one day playing the final at Wembley, and that one lucky goal from the striker who's also the man who you buy your vegetables from....

Romantic and sentimental nonsense, but still....

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

Banking on a replay victory myself though at home against Ipswich. By most accounts ran Ipswich ragged at Portman Road yesterday.

Portsmouth have a very good lower league manager in Paul Cook and I would expect them to give the tractor boys a run for their money in the replay.

I love Fratton Park, a proper old school football ground and quite intimidating for the away team when the Pompey massive is in full voice.  Glad I don't have to listen to that bloke with the bell every other week, mind!  Having said that we won at your place this season, the first time I have seen us win there in three visits (in fact it was our first victory there since the 1920s, I believe).  It was an evening game so I took the day off work and made a day of it, taking in the Spinnaker Tower and the Mary Rose museum, which was nice.

It's the fourth round draw tomorrow and it's brilliant to be in it for a change, even if we are unlikely to progress in the replay.

6 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Portsmouth have a very good lower league manager in Paul Cook and I would expect them to give the tractor boys a run for their money in the replay.

I love Fratton Park, a proper old school football ground and quite intimidating for the away team when the Pompey massive is in full voice.  Glad I don't have to listen to that bloke with the bell every other week, mind!  Having said that we won at your place this season, the first time I have seen us win there in three visits (in fact it was our first victory there since the 1920s, I believe).  It was an evening game so I took the day off work and made a day of it, taking in the Spinnaker Tower and the Mary Rose museum, which was nice.

It's the fourth round draw tomorrow and it's brilliant to be in it for a change, even if we are unlikely to progress in the replay.

For the first time since we left the Premier League we do seem to have a manager who knows what he's doing. Cotterill was fine but for where we are now, Cook is ideal. My worry is that if we don't go up this season he'll be chopped (as some people reckon). Never thought, well not for ages, we'd have only lost what...two/three times in the league this season and be 4th. Though we've had about 5 or 6 0-0 draws at home.

As for the draw tomorrow (buried as it'll be in the One Show), top drawer side will do wonders but being this far into it is reward enough after the past few seasons.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What do the big Premier League teams thing of the FA cup over there?

Ours have a love/hate relationship with it. Usually they have a greater appreciation for it if they are not playing in Europe or doing badly in our national league.

I think the situation is similar here.  Some of the better Premier League teams care more about qualifying for the European competitions as that is where the money is, while some of the teams towards the bottom of the Premier League seem to prefer to concentrate on league games, as relegation has such significant financial implications.

A counter argument is that the bigger teams have such strength in depth that they can gamble on selecting fringe players in the FA Cup when playing teams from lower divisions.  It does not always work, though, as Liverpool found out on Friday - they clearly would not have wanted a replay in an already congested fixture list.