Omen II

The Football (Soccer) Thread

And the U.S. bows out of the Copa, getting absolutely crushed by Argentina in their semifinal. And it wasn't even as close as the score made it seem. Argentina is world number 1, though. I actually think this was quite an impressive finish for the Americans. Let's see if they can close it out on a positive note in the third place game.

Now maybe I will pay more attention to the Euro matches.

What a match that was (Hungary - Portugal 3-3)! I was rooting for Gera to score a goal, and what a goal it was! Game of the tournament and Goal of the tournament for me, and yes, I’m biased :D

Gabi was at it again at the end :D

Belgium here we come!

I caught the second half of the Hungary v Portugal game, knowing that England would play whichever team finished second in that group.  I was praying that we would not have to play Portugal (only because they have beaten us the last four times we have played them in tournaments) but it seemed as if we were doomed to meet them again, especially when it looked like both teams had declared at 3-3, only for me to switch channels after the final whistle just in time to see Iceland net their 94th minute winner against Austria.

England have never played Iceland in a competitive match, in fact we have only played them twice before in friendlies.  I know everyone wants Iceland to win, in fact I would too if I was not English.  On a related note, doesn't Iceland have a beautiful national anthem?  Hearing all their fans singing it before their matches has been one of the highlights of the tournament for me.

16 hours ago, Omen II said:

England have never played Iceland in a competitive match, in fact we have only played them twice before in friendlies.  I know everyone wants Iceland to win, in fact I would too if I was not English.  On a related note, doesn't Iceland have a beautiful national anthem?  Hearing all their fans singing it before their matches has been one of the highlights of the tournament for me.

If that's any consolation, I will be rooting for England :D

Iceland were the reason Hungary didn’t qualify directly because they had conceded a 90th-minute goal against a 10-men Turkey and Turkey had become the best 3rd place team. And Iceland were surprisingly arrogant in the match against Hungary even though they didn’t play well. If the English can somehow keep the ball on the floor (they have the passing and technical quality there) they can win easily, Iceland plays a lot like Atletico, if they score first, you have your work cut out for you because they have a massive defensive wall. The Hungarian’s goal against them in the end came from a nearly perfect one-touch passing sequence, I think that’s the way for England.

Wow!! Finally that Belgium we have been waiting for!!

And most importantly this team can beat Portugal in this easier bracket. I always loved Portugal when there was Figo etc... but those Christina & Pepe hollywood stuff I can't stand!!

Don’t celebrate just yet, this was an injury-ridden team who had qualified after 30 years and they have played their first top16 match since 1966 with most of their players from the Hungarian league who usually play in front of 500-1500 people. This tournament was an absolute delight for us. They’ve played with spirit, with passion, they’ve always tried to play attractive football. The greater and objectively better team have won today, but I bow before this Hungarian team because they’ve refused to give up, they’ve wanted to score until the last minute and they’ve tried to play honest, open football against a better opponent. But they’re slower, they’re used to a slower tempo, they were more tired because of their lower match fitness, and the first-choice right back and central midfielder had got injured, so a centre back played at right back exposing him to an on-form Hazard. You won’t have that against anybody after this. If you play like this against Wales you will be surprised, I think they won’t open up that much, they will have faster players and one Bale, and even Hungary have managed to counter once or twice, it will be harder against a team that has Bale or Ronaldo/Quaresma/Nani, ask Croatia.

Oh and "Király Gabi a legnagyobb király!" :)

Congrats to Belgium!

1 hour ago, hornist said:

And most importantly this team can beat Portugal in this easier bracket. I always loved Portugal when there was Figo etc... but those Christina & Pepe hollywood stuff I can't stand!!

Why can’t you stand Pepe, because of what he did 7 years ago as a hot-headed young player? He paid his price, he had had a long injury since after the incident, and he's been a world class player in any regard since. He haven’t received a red card playing for Real Madrid since 2011 and over the last two years he’s only received 9 yellow cards in the Spanish league (with over 50 matches total). I don’t get this general animosity against him, it doesn’t really have any merit nowadays. And you root for a Belgian team that has a player who kicked a ball boy and Fellaini who can’t keep his elbow at bay? Or what do you mean by Hollywood? :)

And I never understood the vitriol aimed at Ronaldo, he is a true maximalist, I have the utmost respect for him and what he has achieved. He’s just recently donated a looooot of money for Böjte Csaba’s foundation for orphaned and poor Hungarian boys living in Transylvania. It did not get any publicity, because he doesn’t do that for publicity, and to be honest, who would care? The general public only cares about his tantrums, his appearance, his overconfidence or his sexual orientation :D

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Bell%20Pepper%20and%20Beef%20Goulash_DB_

I don't like the term "goulash" it sounds weird for us, the original name for it is "gulyás" and it's pronounced like this:  "/ˈɡujaːʃ/" (or " gu-yahsh"),  if you're interested :D

Lol, and I thought we were losers in the 90s and 2000s for losing to Georgia and Malta in Qualifiers, but England sure as hell trying hard to top that, considering their country’s position and options. Feels similar to what happened here in Hungary, everybody thought we will always be good because of Puskás (and because we always had had better teams than we were supposed to have considering our population and political status), same with England and their status as the sport’s creator.

But for us, the collapse started after communism ended, everything stayed the same, the youth systems are old-school and corrupted still to this day, no real mental training, the boy with the wealthy parents’ plays, we have the same, now old coaches who endorse and protect each other, so it’s difficult for young modern Hungarian coaches to emerge and be successful. But the international market does not lie and you can’t see any Hungarian coaches coaching international teams. The one exception is Dárdai Pál, who had played almost his whole career in Germany at Hertha and he was their youth coach at the time he’d become the National team’s coach. The Hungarian coaches’ reaction was that naming Pál as a coach was a “spit in the eye” of the Hungarian coaches’ community (that basically translated to: How dare you name a young outsider before us, f*ck him). The result was what you’ve seen from Hungary this tournament. Passion, commitment, tactical awareness (but still with limited resources). Oh and Dárdai Pali did so well with us that he'd become the manager of Hertha Berlin and in their first year he had managed to avoid relegation with them and this year with almost the same team he had finished with them in a Europa League position.

England looks like the same, few English coaches across Europe, old-school style, talented, but mentally weak players.

Brexit 2: The Brexening

Brexit 2: Ice, Ice Baby

Brexit 2: Sons of Ice

Brexit 2: Two Outs in One Week

Brexit 2: Oops, We Did It Again

Brexit 2: The Curious Case of Roy Hodgson

You can continue if you have any good idea :D

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Fuck you England!

This.

I am still fuming about yesterday.  We were absolute dogshite in the second half, the most inept and clueless performance I have ever witnessed from an England team.  It was not the fact that we lost to Iceland (who are a decent, well organised and motivated side who beat the Dutch home and away in qualifying for the tournament, lest we forget) that gets me, fair play to them, but the fact that our players looked like they had absolutely no idea what to do to create any chances and break down the Iceland defence.

There was so much wrong with the performance I don't know where to start or indeed if I can even be arsed to pick it apart, but try these for starters:

• Harry Kane should have been ordered to stop taking all our free kicks and corners ten minutes into the first game against Russia, but he was still putting them into row Z against Iceland three games later while looking like an eight year old trying to copy Ronaldo in the school playground.
  • While Rooney played pretty well in the group games, he had the first touch of a rapist in the second half against Iceland.
  • Another of my pet hates at all levels of football is seeing predominantly right-footed players playing on the left and vice versa.  How are you supposed to get a cross in if you have to keep cutting back inside onto your stronger foot all the time?
  • Why was Raheem Sterling picked again?
  • Joe Hart, keep your gob shut and concentrate on keeping the ball out, FFS.
  • Why was Jack Wilshere even in the squad, when he had hardly played all season and looked like he was blowing out of his arse two minutes after coming on?

I feel a bit better now that I've got that off my chest.  Danny Baker sums up the mood of the country better than most:

http://www.joe.co.uk/sport/bbc-broadcaster-goes-on-astonishing-foul-mouthed-rant-after-englands-euro-2016-exit/69676

1 minute ago, Omen II said:

Another of my pet hates at all levels of football is seeing predominantly right-footed players playing on the left and vice versa.  How are you supposed to get a cross in if you have to keep cutting back inside onto your stronger foot all the time?

This is something that seems to have infected modern football.

5 minutes ago, Omen II said:

(who are a decent, well organised and motivated side who beat the Dutch home and away in qualifying for the tournament, lest we forget)

You had to remind me! ;)

Iceland has a decent team, but the fact that they beat us twice and thrown out England has much more to do with failures on our parts then them.

On 6/28/2016 at 0:06 PM, Stefancos said:

I'm sure he will reconsider. It's just the disappointment.

Well, Argentina's soccer/football fans are pretty unforgiving, I think, so a bunch of them are probably happy he's quitting.