Omen II

The Football (Soccer) Thread

Incidentally german experts again certified the german team and its trainer the worst line up possible, a pigheaded strategy and, more importantly, how it should have been done in the first place. I don't know about other countries but we have a peculiar way of celebrating.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Incidentally german experts again certified the german team and its trainer the worst line up possible, a pigheaded strategy and, more importantly, how it should have been done in the first place. I don't know about other countries but we have a peculiar way of celebrating.

That is quite similar to the Dutch method actually.

I was on a bus returning from the Raiders live-to-picture concert yesterday and I noticed a large group of people standing outside a restaurant downtown. At first it seemed like they were waiting in line to get in, but there was a soccer/football game on TVs inside and I now think they were watching the Germany-Italy PKs. 

That penalty shootout was something else, I will remember it for a long time. So many great stories.

Kroos the Calm;

Özil missing his second penalty in a row and missing again in a key situation;

Zaza’s laughable run-up and effort after he’d been subbed in just for the penalty kicks (his ball is somewhere near Ramos’ ball from 2012 and Messi’s ball from the Copa final :D );

Bonucci missing after he scored the equaliser before; Müller missing like he did not give a single f*ck;

Pellé failing miserably after his arrogant and stupid attempt to fool Neuer;

Schweinsteiger sending his ball after Zaza when he could’ve won them the game right there, and he failed to redeem himself after missing in the 2012 CL final;

The centre backs (Boateng and Hummels) and young players (Draxler and Kimmich) of Germany scoring confidently;

Darmian’s failure to notice that Neuer dived for every ball and that every Italian attempt that went into the middle of the goal had been successful so far;

And for last, Buffon’s failure to catch the relatively poor decisive penalty which was similar to the one that Neuer saved.

And I’m glad that France eliminated Iceland, I still can’t fathom the impotence of the English team, just look at what Wales is doing.

Oh and I’d like to recommend this match against Poland to every Pepe hater, absolute world class performance, especially for a 33-year-old. Now it’s time for Ronaldo vs. Bale, can it be the decisive match for this year’s Balon d’Or? (I think Messi kissed his chance goodbye with his missed penalty in the final and not even qualifying for the semi-finals of this year’s CL)

The penalty as such was result of a game that wasn't as surefooted as it may have been with a more self-confident attacking by the german team but on the other hand the mandate is 'Win the damn cup no matter how' so the end justified the means. Close shave it still was.

So far its been a very disappointing Euro Cup, partly because of the attitude Pub mentioned. The so-called big teams seem to be more interested in not losing rather then winning a game. (Portugal is in the semi finals even though they only won a single game during regular play)

And a lot of frenchmen, too, if they win. At least that what we promised our friends and colleagues from France who today have the undesirable task of sitting between hordes of germans in our favourite soccer spot in Berlin.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

A German-Portugal finale?

I wouldn't know who on Earth to root for!

Root for the referees, poor guys are almost always hated on :D

This was unbelievable. You guys have no idea how Éder was the butt of all Jokes in the last 4 years or so around here. Lord Bentdner had nothing on him. He was the absolute most unlikely hero imaginable

So now that the dust has settled, was the the weakest Euro Cup in history? Lots of dull games. Defensive playing styles, many of the big players disappointing, not a single truly brilliant game and a champion who got through to the final mainly by drawing.

I'm very happy for Romaõ and Miguel (assuming he cares) but overall this was a very poor show

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So now that the dust has settled, was the the weakest Euro Cup in history? Lots of dull games. Defensive playing styles, many of the big players disappointing, not a single truly brilliant game and a champion who got through to the final mainly by drawing.

I'm very happy for Romaõ and Miguel (assuming he cares) but overall this was a very poor show

I enjoyed the first round of games, but it is true that the expanded format meant that several teams were able to qualify for the knockout stages with a points tally that would have seen them on an early flight home in most other tournaments (ironically Portugal is one such team that drew all their group games but went on to win the tournament, much like Italy did in the 1982 World Cup).  On the one hand the new format resulted in some teams going for broke in their last group game to qualify in third (e.g. Republic of Ireland), but on the other hand several teams knew they had more or less qualified with a game to spare.  The group game between Germany and Poland was perhaps the best example of two teams keeping their powder dry for the later rounds because after an hour or so each knew that a point apiece would more or less guarantee qualification.

I agree that there were no absolute classic games, although I would point to games such as Portugal v Hungary and Italy v Spain as a couple of the more entertaining, even if I caught only the second half of each.  Other positives were the generally high standard of refereeing and the opportunity for fans of some of the 'smaller' nations such as Iceland, Wales, Albania and Hungary to enjoy a major tournament, in some cases for the first time.

Watching the final, I was surprised to find myself feeling a great deal of genuine sympathy for Cristiano Ronaldo.  He will never be my favourite footballer but it was quite touching to see him in tears on the pitch in the final, knowing that he could not carry on and oblivious to the papillons de nuit nestling on his sweaty Madeiran brow.  His subsequent exhortations to his teammates from the technical area were an example to some of the other big name players who tire of representing their country and call it a day before their time.

I know what you mean. Ronaldo is an incredibly hard player to love, with his looks, his arrogant mannerisms etc etc. He is however a truly FANTASTIC player and an incredible athlete. And not just an individualist like Zlatan, but also someone who genuinely can make his team perform better.

His injury and all too early departure from the field was indeed quite emotional.

Bullshit. there was nothing emotional in that departure, only one hit too rough, yellow card of course.

Funny thing is this was a tournament of TEAM WORK instead of those egoistic solo players and sadly the most annoying primadonna won the

title. For the rest of the team(except Pepe) and their brilliant coach was this first big win of course fine.

Italians brilliant defense, Germany's multifaceted offence and even Iceland/Wales kind of devoted team play was so fun to watch.

And about Zlatan, HE has made his teams perform better(not national team, too bad players) 12 national championships, carrying

his teams. Unlike this primadonna CR7 who is bashing his team mates, always arrogant for the referees with that stupid smile etc...

Wow that brilliant Cristina's TM goal celebration, it's so...modest and beautiful.

I'll the first in line to say I'm not a Ronaldo fan, that he often annoys me on the pitch, but he truly stepped up as a Captain when the knock out stages began. He was not a particularly decisive player, but he was a leader, and I much prefer the later

Also, Éder, who was considered to be one of the absolute worst players ever to play for the national team and whose call up for the tournament was met with ridicule and outrage by Portuguese fans, ended up winning us the final. It's a fairy tale, really

Sorry Merkel if sounded too harsh, as I said It was great first victory, congratulations!! I just can't stand Cristiano and Pepe because what he did in the last CL final, that doesn't belong in football. But that is a different story.

And I saw the Great Figo there, looked still amazing!!

He finished second in the league with by far the best squad. Benfica were the reigning champions at the time, but we had sold pretty much all the squad at the start of the new season. He's widely regarded as one of the worst coaches FC Porto had in the last 2 decades

Today's Champions League game between Barcelona and PSG might be one of the worst ive seen on this level.

Barcelona turned a 4 goal disadvantage from the last game into a 6-1 win in what is already being dubbed the miracle of Camp Nou. But that victory can be almost 100% attributed to PSG's complete incompetence + some questionable refereeing.

It was the Prometheus of Champions League games!

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Shocking 2-0 loss against Romania!

Was that before or after you were beaten 2-0 by Bulgaria?

;)

I will be going to England v Lithuania later this afternoon, but my football highlight for the weekend was yesterday at the 'cider' derby between Exeter City and Yeovil Town.  We were 3-0 down going into the last minute of the game and somehow scored three goals in the five minutes of injury time to draw.  There were limbs everywhere when the third goal went in, it was carnage!  I still cannot quite believe what I witnessed.