New 2013 recording of Essay for Strings (digital download)

Bespin

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain we talked about this last year or so?

I didn't find anything with the Search Engine of this site.

If you were already aware of this release, that's great for you, but it's actually not on the main page... and it wasn't in my Wiki disco too.

So I assumed that a few people missed that release...

I also cannot find anything about the 2013 release on this forum, other than Thor previously mentioning it here.

I also cannot find anything about the 2013 release on this forum, other than Thor previously mentioning it here.

That was actually a reference to this recording from 2002 -- the first official recording of the piece (not counting a previous bootleg recording). But I also seem to remember us discussing this new recording that Bespin refers to, but my memory may be playing tricks on me. I'm getting old. :)

I've had this since it's release, and I believe Brossé has conducted the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia in some more Williams ("Prayer for Peace" was surely performed by them), which will hopefully get a digital release sometime.

Is this a worthy piece of music? What I'm asking is is it excellent?

It is. It's up there among my favourite Williams concert works. Some absolutely spellbinding harmonic exploration for strings.

Just don't go in expecting something akin to his film works, not at least from the most hummable end of the spectrum.