What Williams CDs should I add to my collection right away?

Jay

Always is the worst post-1975 Williams score. Sorry... :(

Nope, that's SPACECAMP.

Yeah, I can see that. SpaceCamp is pretty meh to be honest.

Really? SpaceCamp is one of my favorite Williams scores

Always is the worst post-1975 Williams score. Sorry... :(

Nope, that's SPACECAMP.

??????

Lame. Heraldic fanfares that Williams has done a million times before and with more imagination than that. He probably wrote it in his sleep.

I'd rather listen to ALWAYS's amorphous ambience or even THOMAS AND THE KING, than that.

You really ought to pick up the Cowboys. It's got some really nice stuff that differs from the suite.

I should probably fill the 90s gaps in my collection too. OOP = death.

Out of the expensive ones:

1972 The Cowboys

1974 The Towering Inferno
1978 Jaws 2

Cowboys is alright, but I'd argue that it is definitively represented by the Cowboys Overture, Williams conducting the Boston Pops. I don't even listen to the album anymore. Since these are all out of print and heinously overpriced, just pirate them, or be screwed out of money for no logical reason. It may take a while, but I think we'll see these all reissued.

Yes, the Overture is definitive.

But there are still some goodies on the OST that are worth having. I dig it.

All six CDs have arrived; I just opened them all. From six different sellers, in six different envelopes, padded in six different ways inside. That was fun.

Sleepers is actually a shrinkwrapped punch-out, the rest are used. Ah, that used CD smell. Don't smell it that often any more.

My Williams collection is now significantly closer to being complete!

Good good! Now you only have to collect the Towering Inferno, The Paper Chase, Conrack and a few others and your journey to the Williams Side will be complete!

The-Emperor1.jpg

Luckily the same Conrack music that was available on the FSM Poseidon / Paper Chase CD was also released on this reasonably priced set:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/20th-century-fox-75-years-of-great-film-music-3-cd-set

As for Paper Chase.... who knows if I'll ever get that for less than hundreds of dollars :(

I hope the other 70s scores I don't have get worked on by the specialty labels....

1972 The Cowboys - Varese perpetuity :( Come on Varese, re-issue / expand this!
1973 The Paper Chase / 1974 The Towering Inferno / 1974 Conrack - FOX. Any label could do these! Come on, labels, make it a priority!
1974 Earthquake / 1975 The Eiger Sanction / 1979 Dracula - UNIVERSAL. Come on, Varese! Re-issue these!
1978 Jaws 2 - UNIVERSAL. Hopefully Intrada releases this, since they just did 4 and 3!

Don't forget the corrected version that Varese put out, too... (swapped channels)

Don't forget the corrected version that Varese put out, too...

Corrected?

Don't forget the corrected version that Varese put out, too...

Corrected?

For the swapped channels. You replied to my post before my subsequent edit went through.

I was able to pick up FSM's Poseidon Adventure for a decent price shortly after LLL's release came out. There were a handful on eBay at the time from folks who didn't care about The Paper Chase, I guess.

Well I came home from poker tonight, flipped on the telly, and bam, there on some wacky channel we get on our antennae was THE PAPER CHASE. Seems like a goofy movie. Those 70s hair cuts!

THE PAPER CHASE is a decent movie, but hampered by the totally unsympathetic guy in the lead role.

I envy your "quest", Jay. Not to sound all high and mighty, but I was where you're at in the early 2000s -- just missing a few of the commercially released soundtracks, a goal I subsequently met in....oh, I don't know....2003 or thereabouts. Since then, of course, it's been a quest of a different kind: Seeing all the films, getting all the bootlegs of unreleased scores and so forth. I tell ya -- it's a neverending quest. At this point, what remains is only to see and get the scores from some of the insanely obscure television shows in the 50s and 60s, as well as 3-4 concert works that have never seen the light of day. But I'm confident it will keep my occupied for the rest of my life.

I want to eventually own all his released works but am starting with the film scores