JW Discography: Singles and rarities

Bespin

Here's a list of singles and rarities that never made it on to any commercial album collection.

Do you have any others in mind?

- The Pixies featuring the John T. Williams Orchestra: My Johnny (1958)
- The Pixies featuring the John T. Williams Orchestra: Pigmy Love (1958)

- Johnny Williams And His Orchestra: The Black Knight (1960)
- Johnny Williams And His Orchestra: Augie's Great Piano (1960)

- Johnny Williams: Montreal (1962)

- Johnny Williams: Tuesday's Theme (1962)

- Alternate tracks from Goodbye Mr. Chips Promo LP (1969)

- Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Edit) (1978)

- Yes, Giorgio: If We Were in Love (by Luciano Pavarotti) (Short Version) (1982)

- Star Wars – Return of the Jedi: Lapti Nek (Jabba's Palace Band) (Club Mix) (1983)

- Star Wars – Return of the Jedi: Lapti Nek (Jabba's Palace Band) (Dub Mix) (1983)

- Raiders March (Edit) (1989)

- Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra (Edit) (1989)

- Born On The Fourth Of July (Short version) (1989)

- Born On The Fourth Of July (Remix) (1989)

- Summon The Heroes (Radio Edit 1) (1996)
- Summon The Heroes (Radio Edit 2) (1996)
- Call of The Champion (Radio Edit without Choir) (2002)
- Call of The Champion (Radio Edit with Choir) (2002)
- Memoirs of a Geisha - Live Sessions: Sayuri's Theme (2006)
- Memoirs of a Geisha - Live Sessions: A Dream Discarded (2006)
- On Willows and Birches (BSO) (2011)
- Music from Angela's Ashes (BSO Live Recording) (2012)
- Oboe Concerto (BPO) (2013)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography#Singles

Summon the Heroes Radio Edit #1 and 2.

Are you talking about the "short version" of STH found on the album The Sound Of Glory?

I added these on the list, but I have never listened to them.

I refer to this Promo Single: http://www.discogs.com/John-Williams-4-Boston-Pops-Orchestra-Summon-The-Heroes/release/3688417

R-3688417-1341142078-6804.jpeg.jpg

Call of the Champions (Radio Edits 1-5)

Born on the Fourth of July (2-track promo) [featuring a version/remix of the theme which wasn't on the OST and a shorter edit of the same; this version/remix was also on an MCA 2-CD promo titled Reel Music and featured in the official music video]

These are probably just the edited versions of STH. I'm happy with the short and full versions found on Sound of Glory.

Yes, they are simple edits of STH and are not different performances or recordings.

Born on the Fourth of July (2-track promo) [featuring a version/remix of the theme which wasn't on the OST and a shorter edit of the same; this version/remix was also on an MCA 2-CD promo titled Reel Music and featured in the official music video]

These are probably just the edited versions of STH. I'm happy with the short and full versions found on Sound of Glory.

Yes, they are simple edits of STH and are not different performances or recordings.

Remember I work on a disco, I don't want boolegs.

Is the 5 radio edits of Call of the Champions where issued commercially?

Thanks for the mention of the 2-track promo single and the 2-CD promo, I will add them to the disco.

This is a disco, no bootleg.

Is the 5 radio edits of Call of the Cahmpions where issued commercially?

For the MCA promo-CD, I will try to find a source.

What? These aren't bootlegs!!

I don't believe that the CotC radio edits were released commercially. I purchased the promo CD which features the five radio edits and a number of interview clips of Williams speaking about the CotC, the Olympics, the commercial CD, etc. Here are scans of the cover and inlay:

post-251-0-12577500-1431784991.pngpost-251-0-16763600-1431785000.png

I also have the Born on the Fourth of July promo CD. Here's a scan I made of the CD itself:

post-251-0-92015800-1431784602.png

I also have the MCA promo set. Here's a scan of the film tin that the CDs came in:

post-251-0-05048500-1431784613.png

This is a disco, no bootleg.

Is the 5 radio edits of Call of the Cahmpions where issued commercially?

For the MCA promo-CD, I will try to find a source.

What? These aren't bootlegs!!

I don't believe that the CotC radio edits were released commercially. I purchased the promo CD which features the five radio edits and a number of interview clips of Williams speaking about the CotC, the Olympics, the commercial CD, etc.

I also have the Born on the Fourth of July promo CD. Here's a scan I made of the CD itself:

attachicon.gifBOTFOJ.png

I also have the MCA promo set. Here's a scan of the film tin that the CDs came in:

attachicon.gifreelmusic.png

1989, the Reel Music CDs?

1989, the Reel Music CDs?

1991, actually.

Main post and Wiki disco updated, many thanks again!

This disco was a huge amount of work and I made it using many sources, so there is always some little things that are missing.

Feel free to report any mistakes or missing entries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_discography

What do you mean with 'commercial album recording'? CD format?

Because some of the early singles were released on commercial 45's back in the day.

All the singles are in the disco, but for this thread i wanted to pick the "unselected" singles, those who cant be found on an album yet (and not promo ones).

I just restored the single version of the March from Superman, and pfffff.... It's the badest edit I ever listened!!!

Do you think that this EDIT should be reissued one day on a CD?

Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Single Edit Version) (1978)

<iframe width="300" height="90" src="//media.myspace.com/play/song/theme-from-superman-main-title-single-edit-version-1978-113484806-129011501" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe><p><a href="https://myspace.com/bespin74/music/song/theme-from-superman-main-title-single-edit-version-1978-113484806-129011501">Theme From Superman (Main Title) (Single Edit Version) (1978)</a> from <a href="https://myspace.com/Bespin74">Émanuel Champagne</a> on <a href="https://myspace.com">Myspace</a>.</p>

• 7 months later...

Hmmm...interesting version, Bespin. Can't say I think it's very good (what's with the staccato piano hammering?!?), but it's certainly a unique take. I don't think I've heard that version before.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...