Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Muad'Dib

9 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Clearly you felt the same as you're participating in this conversation. 

You really don't understand the culture here yet do you. 

Unfortunately I suspect you never will, for reasons everyone else here knows bar yourself. Basically, you'll be long gone before 2017.

Essentially, you're like a forum Neo. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I was going to watch it but the screener quality is shit. 

I don't want to absorb the score before seeing the movie. 

Might not be a very good idea if you want a good impression of Morricone's score. Very little of the score made it to the film. Album presents most of the interesting material.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone else instantly reminded of that somber civil war music in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly when "Lincoln's Letter" kicks on? Morricone said he didn't want to retread his Leone music, but I found this little piece to be a short nod to it, as if it was alluding to something Tarantino wanted but couldn't have, much like Jackson's character with the letter.

Absolutely! And some of the music from Neve reminds from the desert walk from the same movie, when Tuco tortures Blondie before the stagecoach arrives.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Normally people post here for a good twelve months before swinging their dick around, but this leeallen dude, he just breaks all the rules. What a maverick! 

Not to perpetuate this discussion, but yes, I reckon he put many here  off when one of his first posts was a crass ridicule similar to the above one about how we all need thicker skins.  What better way to enter into a community, eh?  

Started out as he meant to go on. Oh wait - it's all of us who have the shitty attitudes, not him. We can't handle "different" views here. Not without lashing out. 

9 hours ago, Michael said:

Absolutely! And some of the music from Neve reminds from the desert walk from the same movie, when Tuco tortures Blondie before the stagecoach arrives.

Indeed, another intentional nod I found. It worked perfectly when Jackson was telling his story and dragging that guy through the plains. 

• 3 years later...

I would really like to know what all the material on the OST is supposed to belong to. There seem to be a lot of doubled tracks.

I would have liked a 50-minute Tarantino Album with The Thing and The Excorcist tracks included or a pure Morricone Album without all the dialogue and only the original score. The result we got is a semi-archival and semi-listening experience mixture that pleases nobody.

I took just the Morricone tracks in OST order, and have been listening in that configuration since the score was first released. Hated the movie, but loved the score, so no temptation here to keep the dialogue tracks. However it's pretty repetitive so it might be nice to pare it down. I wonder if any of the material is straight up duplicated, and therefore could easily be removed? I'm not great at spotting those kinds of things.

20 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I wonder if any of the material is straight up duplicated, and therefore could easily be removed? I'm not great at spotting those kinds of things.

"L'Inferno Bianco" for example - what is the difference between both versions?

Wow!!! Well first of all may God bless you, Brundlefly, for going to the trouble. And second of all... WEIRD!!! I forget if this was actually stated by anyone involved, but it sounds like Morricone may have recorded a bunch of variations on the same material for Tarantino to use where he saw fit? Maybe some, like Lincoln Letter, were written for the picture and others were done "wild". Perhaps some recorded elements were even meant to be modular, and could be overlayed to create a different feel as desired. So then when it came time to create the album, they came up with some of the tracks in a similar way... fitting the recordings and layers/"stripes" together in different permutations that seemed pleasing to the album producer?

Almost reminds me of the situation with Desplat's Deathly Hallows album vs. film versions.

8 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Maybe some, like Lincoln Letter, were written for the picture and others were done "wild". Perhaps some recorded elements were even meant to be modular, and could be overlayed to create a different feel as desired. So then when it came time to create the album, they came up with some of the tracks in a similar way... fitting the recordings and layers/"stripes" together in different permutations that seemed pleasing to the album producer?

That would be the only logical assumption. But why the hell is the listening experience on album so fucked up?! Repetition after repetition instead of creating a musically varied OST, like we know it from Tarantino albums.

This was a stunt score. Morricone wrote a couple of pieces probably without seeing the film or whatever.

And then Tarantino then applied them to some scenes along with other Morricone music.

Morricone never actually 'scored' the film. I feel there was no spotting and no fitting the music to the action or anything of that sort. Just suites recorded and that's it.

The suites I guess are good.

But for what it's worth - THIS is what Morricone won an oscar for? For a Tarantino stunt?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone with the FYC, how different is it from the OST?  I recently found a copy on ebay, and wasn't sure if it was worth a buy or not.

I recommend you Brundlefly's special non-redundant album program featuring sonically enhanced cues from "The Thing" and "Exorcist II: The Heretic"!

1. L'Ultima Diligenza Di Red Rock - 7:32 - Ennio Morricone
  2. Major Warren Meets Daisy Domergue - 0:32 - Dialogue
  3. Apple Blossom - 2:15 - The White Stripes
  4. Regan's Theme (Floating Sound) - 2:08 - Ennio Morricone
  5. Frontier Justice - 1:51 - Dialogue
  6. Neve - 12:16 - Ennio Morricone
  7. This Here Is Daisy Domergue - 1:02 - Dialogue
  8. Sei Cavalli - 1:22 - Ennio Morricone
  9. Eternity - 5:35 - Ennio Morricone
  10. Raggi Di Sole Sulla Montagna - 1:42 Ennio Morricone
  11. Jim Jones at Botany Bay - 4:11 - Dialogue
  12. La Musica Prima Del Massacro - 2:01 - Ennio Morricone
  13. Bestiality - 2:58 - Ennio Morricone
  14. Uncle Charlie's Stew - 1:42 - Dialogue
  15. L'Inferno Bianco - 3:32 - Ennio Morricone
  16. Now You're All Alone - 1:30 - David Hess
  17. Daisy's Speech - 1:32 - Dialogue
  18. Despair - 4:49 - Ennio Morricone
  19. There Won't Be Many Coming Home - 2:45 - Roy Orbison
  20. La Lettera Di Lincoln - 1:42 - Ennio Morricone

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2020 at 10:51 AM, Brundlefly said:

I recommend you Brundlefly's special non-redundant album program featuring sonically enhanced cues from "The Thing" and "Exorcist II: The Heretic"!

1. L'Ultima Diligenza Di Red Rock - 7:32 - Ennio Morricone
  2. Major Warren Meets Daisy Domergue - 0:32 - Dialogue
  3. Apple Blossom - 2:15 - The White Stripes
  4. Regan's Theme (Floating Sound) - 2:08 - Ennio Morricone
  5. Frontier Justice - 1:51 - Dialogue
  6. Neve - 12:16 - Ennio Morricone
  7. This Here Is Daisy Domergue - 1:02 - Dialogue
  8. Sei Cavalli - 1:22 - Ennio Morricone
  9. Eternity - 5:35 - Ennio Morricone
  10. Raggi Di Sole Sulla Montagna - 1:42 Ennio Morricone
  11. Jim Jones at Botany Bay - 4:11 - Dialogue
  12. La Musica Prima Del Massacro - 2:01 - Ennio Morricone
  13. Bestiality - 2:58 - Ennio Morricone
  14. Uncle Charlie's Stew - 1:42 - Dialogue
  15. L'Inferno Bianco - 3:32 - Ennio Morricone
  16. Now You're All Alone - 1:30 - David Hess
  17. Daisy's Speech - 1:32 - Dialogue
  18. Despair - 4:49 - Ennio Morricone
  19. There Won't Be Many Coming Home - 2:45 - Roy Orbison
  20. La Lettera Di Lincoln - 1:42 - Ennio Morricone

How come you left out Overture and La Puntura Della Morte? Which L'Inferno Bianco did you choose?

Oh I almost forgot the OST included a pretty unknown song of Roy Orbison from his less sucessfull and well, darker MGM period (and this song is from his only one movie released in 1967)!

R-5215944-1534461693-1724.jpeg.jpg

A very bad movie, but a nice OST!

MV5BN2ZkYzIyYjMtOWJjMi00OTQyLTg5ZTYtZWIy

On 2/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, Smeltington said:

How come you left out Overture and La Puntura Della Morte? Which L'Inferno Bianco did you choose?

Ouverture may seem to be essential, but in the end it was merely a repetition of elements that occour in Neve and other cues. My main problem with the OST is the redundancies (aside from too many and too long dialogue tracks as well as the lack of Morricone's cues from other films), so it seemed necessary to exclude it.

La Puntura Della Morte didn't seem too essential, so I left it out. Although it would have made for a nice dot on the sentence, as on the OST.

For L'Inferno Bianco I chose Ottoni, which is basically the same as Synth plus an additional horn overlay.

Cool, thank you for the details, I was always planning to put together a shorter assembly based on your suggestions. I like the score a lot but I've been discouraged from listening to it just because it's so repetitive. I want to fix that so I can enjoy it again!

On The FYC, there's a shorter edited track of one cue called Titolo Principale, so it's impossible to exactly reproduce it with the OST.

My playlist inspired by the 8xRPM release is perfect, I just have to remove the f****ing track with the gun shot (Now you're all alone), Jim Jones at The Botany Bay and perhaps the Lettra di Lincoln (con dialogo). 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Ennio-Morricone-Quentin-Tarantino-Quentin-Tarantinos-The-Hateful-Eight/release/8085132

Ok it's rare, but I don't understand why they put a scratched LP version of the Roy Orboson song on the CD. If you want to know where to get a remastered version, just ask me!