Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Muad'Dib

I have a feeling QT will end up rejecting most of it

I could see him pushing rewrites, actually, but I think he's made up his mind on this one...he has been pursuing Morricone for awhile and seems like he had to do a lot of persuading to finally get him to do it. QT may act like a spoiled brat a lot of the time but he does have a good history with his collaborators and I don't think he'd burn this bridge.

And for all we know, the score's fuckin awesome, anyway....plus he's already gotten everybody excited over this and there's nothing Tarantino loves more than his own hype!

We have video and first glipmses of the score!

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/1097206490-udalosti-v-kulture/215411000120719/video/

You have to click on the one that says Morricone a Tarantino v Praze and then below on Přehrát vybrané or Přehrát vše

Could any Italian speakers please translate/summarize what was said there? Or at least the Morricone interview? :)

Only Morricone's words are in Italian, the rest is Czech. In the first segment he praises the orchestra, in the second one he says that "Western music" doesn't exist as a genre. What exists is the interpretation the composer makes of the film.

Maurizio can post a more accurate transcript, but I'm not sure that we have any Czech members...

Here I am :)

You already got it, Ricard. Here's what Ennio says in the video:

"The orchestra players are very careful, very concentrated and they're playing well."

"There isn't something like 'Western music'. What exists is the interpretation that the composer gives to the film."

I wouldn't worry he isn't conducting himself, btw. I heard the recording schedule for this was pretty tight and since Ennio speaks only Italian I guess a local conductor was needed to sped up the process. Also, someone on the FSM boards wrote the orchestra was recorded in separate sections over a few sessions.

I'm very curious about the final result.

Yeah, I was going to say that only the brass was there. So the woodwinds, percussion, and strings are all going to be recorded separately. I hate that, and I can't really understand how you can expect to have a truly musical result. Can't the right balance just be achieved at the podium?

But maybe he isn't after the "right balance." Not the first time he's done this, I think. Remember he has a strong background in experimental production approaches and studio stuff.

Just not a personal fan of the technique. It may have its uses, but it's not something I'm into. The idea of playing something that's part of a whole but in an isolated situation would make me feel uncomfortable!

They're probably going more for the experimental Morricone sound of the 60's and 70's, so there's probably gonna a lot of weird synth sounds or ideas. Rabbia e Tarantella is a great example where most of the orchestra seems to be recorded together, but the solo trombone seems to have been done completely separate and really really close to the mic -apart from being played really fucking forte.

Recording in separate sections isn't always commanded by aesthetic choices, but more by budget and timing issues. From what I understand, the recording schedule for The Hateful Eight is pretty short, hence there isn't much time to spend on intonation, balance and overall performance issues, so my guess is that Morricone decided to sped up the process to give Tarantino all the cues he needs for editing and mixing in timely fashion. Since Tarantino is accustomed in using pre-existing tracks while editing, I wouldn't be surprised if Ennio's method here is writing a handful of original cues and then let Tarantino decide how to use them best during the editing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ennio's method here is writing a handful of original cues and then let Tarantino decide how to use them best during the editing.

Agreed. Ennio might not ever write anything to picture at all. Tarantino might instead edit the picture to some of Ennio's cues.

Or he's writing some stuff now and he'll record some more music when the editing is done.

Btw could we change the title of the thread Jason?

• 1 month later...

This is.... um, strange....

Ennio Morricone wrote the score for Hateful Eight. How does it sound?

It's horrible. What do you expect me to say?

Well, I'm excited about it. Yours is the first Western he’s scored since 1975.

I know, and I'm not going to say shit about it. You'll hear it when you see it. It's absolutely abysmal.

Is Morricone bringing back his whistler for this one?

No. There’s no whistling in this score. That guy is still alive, though.

This is the first time one of your movies has had a score. Does that mean there won't be any pop songs on the soundtrack?

I didn’t say that.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/how-quentin-tarantino-would-fix-it-follows.html

Though I guess it being "horrible" is kinda the point -meaning it will sound very atonal... Maybe?

Yeah, I'm guessing those quotes are missing a lot of sarcastic inflection.

Or he really is serious and totally pissed that he's stuck with a crappy Morricone score and decided to flat out tell Vulture how much he hates it!

Tino is just fooling around.

Yep.

Also from Vulture.com:

In honor of the composer’s upcoming release, it seemed like a good time to go over his career and select some of his best musical cues — that is to say, the best pieces as they were used within the context of individual scenes in the films themselves.

Ennio Morricone's 25 Greatest Musical Cues

And according to FSM apparently there might be a chance of Morricone scoring the new Malick film Weightless. FSM says Malick wants to use pre-existing Morricone tracks, but knowing Ennio he'll probably ask to properly score it.

And according to FSM apparently there might be a chance of Morricone scoring the new Malick film Weightless. FSM says Malick wants to use pre-existing Morricone tracks, but knowing Ennio he'll probably ask to properly score it.

New Malick film?! Where the fuck is Voyage of Time????

Oh I see, Weightless is the new Lawless title.

Terence Malick has been working on 3 films since To The Wonder

Knight of Cups is the one starring Christian Bale and Natalie Portman about a screenwriter. It played at a German film festival this February, and opens in March, 2016 in the US. Heres it's trailer:

Weightless is the new name of the film that Malick originally wanted to call Lawless and stars Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale, Natalie Portman, Rooney Mara, Cate Blanchett, Val Kilmer, Clifton Collins Jr., Benicio del Toro and Michael Fassbender and is about "Obsession and betrayal set against the music scene in Austin, Texas". This is the one Ennio is supposedly scoring, has no trailer yet, and opens next year some time.

Voyage of Time is an IMAX documentary narrated by Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett opening next year sometime

No Voyage of Time is a documentary about the universe. Something I need to score, actually. Knight of Cups is still Knight of Cups.

I know that. I thought the film originally titled Lawless ended up as Knight Of Cups. Just mixed them up.

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently this is what he's saying, from FSM:

"I don’t want to repeat myself. Can I repeat for Tarantino what I’ve done for Leone? It’s not possible, right? It would be absurd. It would make Tarantino’s movie look hideous, because that music is old, you see. I had to write it in another way. But I have written very important music for him. I don’t know if he directly realized that, or if the others did. They didn’t expect that music, that’s why they didn’t understand it. But he told me, after he had listened to it twice: it’s ok, I like it. But at first it had been a shock. He had expected something completely different. But I didn’t give that to him, because I didn’t want to give him something he knew already."