The Flute Concerto - is the score available ANWHERE?

Sharkissimo

I'd donate one of my kidneys for this! It's like the source code for Williams's avant-garde writing for film and the concerto hall.

Listening, once can hear parallels to Takemitsu's November Steps, with it's Shakuhatchi-like treatment of the western flute through lip bends and overblowing; crystalline harmonics; dense tone clusters; Webernish exploration of silence and pitch space; quasi-klangfarben textures in the second half, and so on. It's a world away from the pantonality and octatonicism of his later works (Oboe Concerto and Harp Concerti), but it's a remarkable achievement on its own right.

Is the score not published at all, even for hire?

Agreed. It belongs with a small handful of works that define Williams at his most avantgarde (I would also include IMAGES, the sturm und drang of LOST IN SPACE, the recent piano concerto for Lang Lang, maybe the duo concertanto for violin and viola and "Conversations" -- and individual tracks like the "Abduction of Barry" from CE3k).

Is the score not published at all, even for hire?

It hasn't been officially published so far, and since the work has been rarely performed I guess it's not available for rental either, hence I guess you can rent the score only through him directly.

About this piece, there was an amusing recount by Daniel Wachs from a few years ago when the piece was performed by Slatkin and the DSO for their ongoing JW concerti project:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/copa/2014/03/25/were-off-to-see-the-wizard-a-meeting-with-composer-john-williams/

It's likely Williams still sees the piece as a work of youth, where he got the chance to work on some more experimental compositional techniques. To me, the Flute Concerto is mostly about color and dense textures as seen through a kaleidoscope.

Released by Varese Sarabande with the "Violin concerto", years ago.

Year Title Label Catalog # 1992

Colosseum / Colosseum Schallplat / Varèse Sarabande VSD 5345

Varèse Sarabande 5345 2014

Varèse Sarabande